EPG123 Bug Reports

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
garyan2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:58 pm

glugglug wrote:I successfully got some hierarchical categories working! This way, you won't have to lose any Gracenote categories.

I have a Series->Sports->Football keyword hierarchy in my guide by modifying the imported MXF, which successfully is showing appropriate shows now.

The changes I made were as follows, not sure if all are necessary:

1. Create a new Keyword for the sub-category ID. Also create the corresponding "All" category for it. I used

Code: Select all

<Keyword id="k6sg1" word="Sports" />
<Keyword id="k6sg1001" word="All" />
(keywordgroup 6 subgroup 1. Not sure if it matters whether the parent category id is a prefix of this id, but apparently it doesn't need to be numeric after the k).

2. Renumber the keywords that are to be moved to this subcategory so that they are prefixed by the subcategory's keyword ID. (Not sure if this is actually required or not. I think not based on earlier experimentation before figuring out #6 below was what was preventing the search from working).

3. Create a "subgroups" element under the parent category.
4. Create a KeywordGroup element under the subgroups element, using the same format as your other keyword elements, except that the UID of the subgroup must be prefixed by the UID of the parent KeywordGroup with another ! separator. (I think this UID format is not an actual requirement based on earlier experimentation, but not sure.)
5. Add the UID of the subgroup to a "subgroups" attribute of the parent KeywordGroup.

My KeywordGroup for the Series keywords now looks like this from steps 3-5:

<KeywordGroup groupName="k6" uid="!KeywordGroup!k6" keywords="// bunch of keyword ids here with the ones for the subgroup removed" subgroups="!KeywordGroup!k6!sg1">
		  <subgroups>
			<KeywordGroup groupName="k6sg1" uid="!KeywordGroup!k6!sg1" keywords="k6sg1001,k6sg1005,k6sg1006,etc"/>
		  </subgroups>
	  </KeywordGroup>
6. For all the Program elements using keywords in the subgroup, add the subgroup's keyword ID to their keyword list. This is definitely required, it was the last change I made before getting the shows to actually show up in the category search. Not sure if order matters, I added the subgroup keyword ID before any of the keyword IDs within the subgroup.
This is awesome ... I didn't think the subgroups was accessible by the mxf import based on what I saw in the object browser. I'm going to have to revisit some things I wanted to do in the past. :)

I think I'm going to change the approach a little for maintainability. Instead of have a true subcategory ("Sports"), I think what I'm going to try is just have a "More..." subcategory to continue beyond the 100 limit. Based on what you have so far, it looks like it will be possible for subgroups to have subgroups. Even if they can't, a single subgroup expands our limit to 200 which is plenty.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:39 pm

So close ...

Modifying the mxf file like below gets us most of the way there.

<Keyword id="k6" word="Series" />
      <Keyword id="k6sg1" word="More..." />
      <KeywordGroup groupName="k6" uid="!KeywordGroup!k6" keywords="k6000,k6004,k6002,...">
        <subgroups>
          <KeywordGroup groupName="k6sg1" uid="!Subgroup!k6sg1" keywords="k6000,k6043,..." />
        </subgroups>
      </KeywordGroup>
Everything works great in the Series category, but there is one quirk. The subgroup is listed in the first level as well with all the other groups. If we can find a way to stop that behavior, it would be perfect.
subgroup.png
- Gary

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:22 pm

When I at first added the subgroups keywordgroup with the other KeywordGroups and set the subgroups attribute for the parent group, the subgroup appeared in both places like that.

But defining the subgroup's KeywordGroup inside a subgroup element within the parent KeywordGroup element, and not directly in the KeywordGroups outer element I don't think it had that, will have to check again.

One potential issue though is the subgroup appeared at the beginning of the list, not at the end.

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:41 am

This is interesting....
If I name the subgroup "Sports", it has the subgroup only where we want it, and only the normal "Sports" category exists at the top level.

If I rename it so that it doesn't match one of the 11 existing categories, then it shows up at the top level as well as under series.

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:39 am

I guess you can name it "_More Series..." and the underscore will get sorted to the end of the top level list. Seems whacky there doesn't appear to be a way to specify which KeywordGroups are directly in the main list other than some getting skipped from a name collision..

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:10 am

When the naming collision happens if the subgroup has the same name as a top level group, it isn't really hiding the subgroup at the top level. It is MERGING it. This means it can be used to exceed the 100 keyword limit!

The keywords from the series group just need to be split into 2 groups, it doesn't need to be a subgroup, with both groups having the same groupName keyword.

The order they get merged in apparently gets determined by the UID. For some reason !KeywordGroup!k6b comes before !KeywordGroup!k6 so the M-Z stuff is below the A-M stuff below.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:27 am

^ :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

It's really done a number on my code, but we've got this working. I'll probably spend a little time verifying it and cleaning up code before sending it out to the masses.

Great job, glugglug!
- Gary

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:57 am

So it appears I spoke too soon about everything working perfectly. I'm having trouble with the Program Description meta data.

With season and episode prefix turned on I get the standard program description in the guide but this is then missing completely from the meta data properties of the recorded file.

With season and episode prefix turned off I only get Season xx, Episode xx in the guide description (summary missing) and this does then appear in the meta data properties of the recorded file. The exception to this is with programs which do not have a season or episode, then I do get the standard program description in the guide but once again it does not appear in the file properties.
DescriptionMeta.png
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

iankb

Post by iankb » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:29 pm

Same problem here with the program description missing in the guide if any series/episode data exists for that programme. It just displays the series/episode data and no description.

I'm wondering whether it's just a UK data problem, since I'm also in the UK, as with the previous posting.

However, I can now sleep easy now that I no longer have to rely on the (non-)guide data provided by Microsoft.
Ian

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:23 pm

Glad to hear it is not just me. The data is there in the raw feed it is just not making it into the MXF. Could it be due to the description language; en-GB? I note there is both a short and long description in the feed.

Here is an example snippet taken from each.

{"programID":"EP019260850004","titles":[{"title120":"Channel 4's Comedy Gala 2014"}],"eventDetails":null,"descriptions":{"description100":[{"descriptionLanguage":"en-GB","description":"The third and final edited highlights show from 2014's live charity event."}],"description1000":[{"descriptionLanguage":"en-GB","description":"The third and final edited highlights show from 2014's live charity event filmed at London's O2 Arena and featuring the cream of British comedy talent. Includes sets from Jon Richardson, Paul Chowdhry, Warwick Davis, Kerry Godliman, and many others."}]},"originalAirDate":"2015-06-05","genres":["Event","Comedy"],"officialURL":null,"keyWords":null,"episodeTitle150":null,"metadata":null,"contentRating":null,"contentAdvisory":null,"movie":null,"cast":null,"crew":null,"entityType":"Episode","showType":"Series","recommendations":null,"hasImageArtwork":true,"episodeImage":null,"md5":"0beR3TxFZUMgEkjmlNGHfA"}

<Program id="634" uid="!Program!EP01926085_0004" title="Channel 4's Comedy Gala 2014" episodeTitle="Channel 4's Comedy Gala 2014" description="&#xA;  &#xA;Episode #4" episodeNumber="4" originalAirdate="2015-06-05" keywords="k6,k6002,k6019" series="si163" isSeries="true" hasExtendedCastAndCrew="true" />
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:42 pm

IT Troll wrote:Glad to hear it is not just me. The data is there in the raw feed it is just not making it into the MXF. Could it be due to the description language; en-GB? I note there is both a short and long description in the feed.

Here is an example snippet taken from each.

{"programID":"EP019260850004","titles":[{"title120":"Channel 4's Comedy Gala 2014"}],"eventDetails":null,"descriptions":{"description100":[{"descriptionLanguage":"en-GB","description":"The third and final edited highlights show from 2014's live charity event."}],"description1000":[{"descriptionLanguage":"en-GB","description":"The third and final edited highlights show from 2014's live charity event filmed at London's O2 Arena and featuring the cream of British comedy talent. Includes sets from Jon Richardson, Paul Chowdhry, Warwick Davis, Kerry Godliman, and many others."}]},"originalAirDate":"2015-06-05","genres":["Event","Comedy"],"officialURL":null,"keyWords":null,"episodeTitle150":null,"metadata":null,"contentRating":null,"contentAdvisory":null,"movie":null,"cast":null,"crew":null,"entityType":"Episode","showType":"Series","recommendations":null,"hasImageArtwork":true,"episodeImage":null,"md5":"0beR3TxFZUMgEkjmlNGHfA"}

<Program id="634" uid="!Program!EP01926085_0004" title="Channel 4's Comedy Gala 2014" episodeTitle="Channel 4's Comedy Gala 2014" description="&#xA;  &#xA;Episode #4" episodeNumber="4" originalAirdate="2015-06-05" keywords="k6,k6002,k6019" series="si163" isSeries="true" hasExtendedCastAndCrew="true" />
You are correct IT Troll ... epg123 was looking for the 2-letter ISO language only. I'll get this fixed and a update out later today.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:57 pm

Actually, I'm going to go ahead and put it on the website. You can download the new version at

http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/epg123_v1.0.0_w7.7z for Win7
http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/epg123_v1.0.0_w8.7z for Win8+

I'll work on getting the website updated.
- Gary

iankb

Post by iankb » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:01 pm

garyan2 wrote:Actually, I'm going to go ahead and put it on the website. You can download the new version at

http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/epg123_v1.0.0_w7.7z for Win7
http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/epg123_v1.0.0_w8.7z for Win8+

I'll work on getting the website updated.
Great. This works perfectly.

I feel a donation coming on. :D
Ian

Ladislaus

Post by Ladislaus » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:16 pm

Minor issue...

I copied the brand new v1.0.0 EXE into my WMC's Epg123 folder and ran it in order to verify that all the relevant checkboxes were still checked/unchecked for my preferred configuration.

The funny thing is... v1.0.0 reported a "not up to date" error at the bottom of the config window (in uppercaps red letters) and a similar message in the log (below):

[7/17/2016 5:02:32 PM] [ INFO] epg123 is not up to date. Latest version is 0.9.9 and can be downloaded from http://epg123.garyan2.net.
Otherwise, the Windows application seemed to work A-OK.

[Edit] Using the Win8+ version of Epg123.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:27 pm

Yep all good here too. Many thanks for the super speedy fix. :thumbup:

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:30 pm

Ladislaus wrote:Minor issue...

I copied the brand new v1.0.0 EXE into my WMC's Epg123 folder and ran it in order to verify that all the relevant checkboxes were still checked/unchecked for my preferred configuration.

The funny thing is... v1.0.0 reported a "not up to date" error at the bottom of the config window (in uppercaps red letters) and a similar message in the log (below):

[7/17/2016 5:02:32 PM] [ INFO] epg123 is not up to date. Latest version is 0.9.9 and can be downloaded from http://epg123.garyan2.net.
Otherwise, the Windows application seemed to work A-OK.

[Edit] Using the Win8+ version of Epg123.
I have a request in with Schedules Direct to update the version response to 1.0.0. Once that is done, we will no longer get that warning. I actually wasn't planning to release today, so this part wasn't ready.
- Gary

Ladislaus

Post by Ladislaus » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:42 pm

garyan2 wrote:I have a request in with Schedules Direct to update the version response to 1.0.0. Once that is done, we will no longer get that warning. I actually wasn't planning to release today, so this part wasn't ready.
Understood. Thanks for clarifying this.

:thumbup:

duncane

Post by duncane » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:50 pm

Hi garyan2, thanks again for this great software. I had previously tested on a spare PC with good results so with the recent UK Guide outage I thought I'd try it live. All seemed to go well but I can't record anything. I can watch but pressing record during a show does nothing (except add the red dot in the guide) and no scheduled recordings start either.

DVB-T2 Freeview UK
2 x HDHomeRun CONNECT (HDHR4-2DT)

Any ideas? I'm not really sure what the differences could be between my test machine and live as far as WMC goes.

Cheers

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:10 pm

duncane wrote:Hi garyan2, thanks again for this great software. I had previously tested on a spare PC with good results so with the recent UK Guide outage I thought I'd try it live. All seemed to go well but I can't record anything. I can watch but pressing record during a show does nothing (except add the red dot in the guide) and no scheduled recordings start either.

DVB-T2 Freeview UK

Any ideas? I'm not really sure what the differences could be between my test machine and live as far as WMC goes.

Cheers
I think this is the third time I've heard of this ... edit your channel sources in WMC and verify your tuners are checked. For some reason, sometimes the channel can be enabled in the guide and can be viewed live, but the tuners are disabled and not selectable by the recorder.
- Gary

duncane

Post by duncane » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:34 pm

garyan2 wrote:
duncane wrote:Hi garyan2, thanks again for this great software. I had previously tested on a spare PC with good results so with the recent UK Guide outage I thought I'd try it live. All seemed to go well but I can't record anything. I can watch but pressing record during a show does nothing (except add the red dot in the guide) and no scheduled recordings start either.

DVB-T2 Freeview UK

Cheers
I think this is the third time I've heard of this ... edit your channel sources in WMC and verify your tuners are checked. For some reason, sometimes the channel can be enabled in the guide and can be viewed live, but the tuners are disabled and not selectable by the recorder.
Apologies I should've said I've looked at the sources already and they were all ticked as normal. It's very strange, when I press record from the guide on a program already playing it says This program will be recorded. When I look in Scheduled Recordings it says Today & Now against the recording I've just tried to record. Luckily there's a load of rubbish on tonight so I'm not desperate, I may start again completely from scratch tomorrow evening.

Actually I've just had a look at Event Viewer and see hundreds of these,

Description
Stopped working
Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\ehome\ehrec.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: ehrec.exe
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: 4a5bd034
Problem Signature 04: mcstore
Problem Signature 05: 6.1.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4ce7b873