EPG123 Bug Reports

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
mldenison

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mldenison » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:38 pm

I'm on the latest version of EPG123.

This is the first entry in the log:

Code: Select all

[3/28/2016 2:43:01 PM] [ERROR] epg123 is not recognized as an approved app from Schedules Direct. code: 1005 , message: Did not recognize the submitted client. , datetime: 2016-03-28T18:43:00Z
No other errors reported so the Guide updated correctly?

Jim-W

Post by Jim-W » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:29 pm

mldenison wrote:I'm on the latest version of EPG123.

This is the first entry in the log:

[3/28/2016 2:43:01 PM] [ERROR] epg123 is not recognized as an approved app from Schedules Direct. code: 1005 , message: Did not recognize the submitted client. , datetime: 2016-03-28T18:43:00Z
No other errors reported so the Guide updated correctly?
For now, that's normal, you should be all good.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:33 am

glorp wrote:This right, for now? Or does the match occur between the load and reindex ? And before you say anything my sched task on each client sets the default directory to the epg123 location. :)

@ECHO OFF
ECHO Importing guide data
START /WAIT %SYSTEMROOT%\ehome\loadmxf.exe -i \\WSE\Backups\epg123\epg123.mxf

ECHO Initializing the reindex task of the guide data
START /WAIT schtasks.exe /run /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\ReindexSearchRoot"

ECHO Beginning channel match
START /WAIT epgAutomatch.exe -match

EXIT
That will work. It would make more sense to move the automatch after the load but I don't think it makes a bit of difference.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

glorp

Post by glorp » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:32 pm

garyan2 wrote:
glorp wrote:This right, for now? Or does the match occur between the load and reindex ? And before you say anything my sched task on each client sets the default directory to the epg123 location. :)

@ECHO OFF
ECHO Importing guide data
START /WAIT %SYSTEMROOT%\ehome\loadmxf.exe -i \\WSE\Backups\epg123\epg123.mxf

ECHO Initializing the reindex task of the guide data
START /WAIT schtasks.exe /run /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\ReindexSearchRoot"

ECHO Beginning channel match
START /WAIT epgAutomatch.exe -match

EXIT
That will work. It would make more sense to move the automatch after the load but I don't think it makes a bit of difference.
I switched the order for todays run. Every step ran successfully and was confirmed by looking at runs times etc. on task. I also implemented some minimal logging for it (steps, command outputs, and return values redirected).

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:12 am

I can manually run the update with no issues, but the scheduled update task has a failure message in the log file - unhandled exception in main program, requested registry access is not allowed. I am using 0.91, should I try the newer version?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:23 am

JTScribe wrote:I can manually run the update with no issues, but the scheduled update task has a failure message in the log file - unhandled exception in main program, requested registry access is not allowed. I am using 0.91, should I try the newer version?
Get 0.9.2 to avoid this. The registry access is now only when opening the GUI ... will no longer affect an update run.
- Gary

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:47 pm

Will do, thank you.

glorp

Post by glorp » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:24 pm

I still get messed up logo graphics rather than the desired call signs on every channel in the guide. I've been running the channel matching feature for several days now and notice that I get the same repeated logo graphic on every channel in my guide. Always just the first time WMC starts up but now almost every day. The graphic is always from one of the shows I have a series recording for but it varies as to which series.

Is the only solution to start from scratch with the database again or will one of the "tools" handle this? I see nothing in Guide Tool that affects the channel logos but maybe I'm missing it.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:28 pm

glorp wrote:I still get messed up logo graphics rather than the desired call signs on every channel in the guide. I've been running the channel matching feature for several days now and notice that I get the same repeated logo graphic on every channel in my guide. Always just the first time WMC starts up but now almost every day. The graphic is always from one of the shows I have a series recording for but it varies as to which series.

Is the only solution to start from scratch with the database again or will one of the "tools" handle this? I see nothing in Guide Tool that affects the channel logos but maybe I'm missing it.
Did running epgAutomatch.exe -nologo not work?
- Gary

glorp

Post by glorp » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:31 pm

garyan2 wrote:Did running epgAutomatch.exe -nologo not work?
It didn't b/c I didn't notice the extra CL switch needed! :)

Let me try. It will be a few days to know for sure. Thx.

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:33 pm

On the latest version, I had disabled some stations in the right pane and they were gone in the guide. Last night, I re-enabled some of the channels in the right pane but they don't show up in the guide. I had to use GuideTool to re-enable them.

Jim-W

Post by Jim-W » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:36 pm

mldenison wrote:On the latest version, I had disabled some stations in the right pane and they were gone in the guide. Last night, I re-enabled some of the channels in the right pane but they don't show up in the guide. I had to use GuideTool to re-enable them.
I can go to Tasks > Settings > TV > Guide > Edit Channels and select the missing channel.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:21 pm

Right now, epg123 can't tell the difference between a station that was removed and added back in or just a station that was disabled in the guide by the user. The path right now was if you intentionally removed and added back in a station in the epg123 GUI, then you can manually reenable the channel in WMC ... this avoids a channel being constantly reenabled on every update for a user that had manually disabled it.

And what Jim-W said ... no need to use Guide Tool to reenable the channel.
- Gary

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:59 pm

Gotcha. The Guide Tool was familiar to me and easy to use.

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:48 pm

Auto update has worked seamlessly the last two days. You the man, garyan2!!!

fzy8gc

Post by fzy8gc » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:39 am

I thought I try EPG123 today to prepare for the inevitable. Everything seemed to build perfect. The system I used was a Win 7 system with a Silicon Dust HDHomerun dual turner and an ATI analog cable turner. The zip I used was 34243 (Sarasota, FL). The listings I chose were Sarasota OTA and Hotwire - Cascades Standard Cable. All the channels were included. When they were loaded into WMC, many of the OTA channels were missing. For example, 8.1, 8.2, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 13.1, 13.2, 13.3, and 13.4 to name a few. Some were there: 40.1, 44.1, 44.2. The channels that loaded had perfect guide information. The channels that loaded played just fine. The HDHomerun turner is plugged into an antenna. The ATI turner is plugged into a cable feed from the community. The cable feed carries OTA signals as well and analog cable channels. The strange thing I noticed, when I tried to edit out the OTA signals from the Hotwire channels using EPG123, it also edited out the corresponding analog cable channels. That is when I tried using all channels for both listings and editing the channels inside the Guide edit function in WMC.

There is no trouble with this setup when using the Rovi guide other than the obvious lack of updates from time to time.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:12 am

fzy8gc wrote:I thought I try EPG123 today to prepare for the inevitable. Everything seemed to build perfect. The system I used was a Win 7 system with a Silicon Dust HDHomerun dual turner and an ATI analog cable turner. The zip I used was 34243 (Sarasota, FL). The listings I chose were Sarasota OTA and Hotwire - Cascades Standard Cable. All the channels were included. When they were loaded into WMC, many of the OTA channels were missing. For example, 8.1, 8.2, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 13.1, 13.2, 13.3, and 13.4 to name a few. Some were there: 40.1, 44.1, 44.2. The channels that loaded had perfect guide information. The channels that loaded played just fine. The HDHomerun turner is plugged into an antenna. The ATI turner is plugged into a cable feed from the community. The cable feed carries OTA signals as well and analog cable channels. The strange thing I noticed, when I tried to edit out the OTA signals from the Hotwire channels using EPG123, it also edited out the corresponding analog cable channels. That is when I tried using all channels for both listings and editing the channels inside the Guide edit function in WMC.

There is no trouble with this setup when using the Rovi guide other than the obvious lack of updates from time to time.
Unfortunately for those of us that use ATSC, WMC doesn't scan VHF frequencies (channels 2-13) ... they need to be added manually. Sorry, I haven't updated the website to note this for everyone to see.

Go to settings->TV->Guide->Add Missing Channels->Add DTV Channel ... you will then need to add 3.1 for the digital TV channel, enter 13 for assigned frequency, and WEDUDT for the callsign. Repeat for all missing tuner channels.

3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4 use assigned frequency 13
8.1, 8.2 use assigned frequency 7
10.1, 10.2, 10.3 use assigned frequency 10
13.1, 13.2, 13.3, 13.4 use assigned frequency 12
- Gary

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:38 am

I haven't converted over to EPC123 yet. But this raises a question. I haven't re-set up TV signal in quite a while. When doing the setup for EPG123, is it necessary to run channel scans? If I recall correctly, normally I just skip over channel scans when doing WMC TV setup since the lineup info has the correct tuning information anyway.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:49 am

garyan2 wrote:
fzy8gc wrote:I thought I try EPG123 today to prepare for the inevitable. Everything seemed to build perfect. The system I used was a Win 7 system with a Silicon Dust HDHomerun dual turner and an ATI analog cable turner. The zip I used was 34243 (Sarasota, FL). The listings I chose were Sarasota OTA and Hotwire - Cascades Standard Cable. All the channels were included. When they were loaded into WMC, many of the OTA channels were missing. For example, 8.1, 8.2, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 13.1, 13.2, 13.3, and 13.4 to name a few. Some were there: 40.1, 44.1, 44.2. The channels that loaded had perfect guide information. The channels that loaded played just fine. The HDHomerun turner is plugged into an antenna. The ATI turner is plugged into a cable feed from the community. The cable feed carries OTA signals as well and analog cable channels. The strange thing I noticed, when I tried to edit out the OTA signals from the Hotwire channels using EPG123, it also edited out the corresponding analog cable channels. That is when I tried using all channels for both listings and editing the channels inside the Guide edit function in WMC.

Unfortunately for those of us that use ATSC, WMC doesn't scan VHF frequencies (channels 2-13) ... they need to be added manually. Sorry, I haven't updated the website to note this for everyone to see.

Go to settings->TV->Guide->Add Missing Channels->Add DTV Channel ... you will then need to add 3.1 for the digital TV channel, enter 13 for assigned frequency, and WEDUDT for the callsign. Repeat for all missing tuner channels.

Interesting that you mentioned WMC doesn't scan VHF frequencies. Is that only when using EPG123 or has something changed within WMC? I ask because the Chicago area used to have 2 VHF HD channels & still has CBS on VHF 12 and I don't recall ever manually adding a channel.

fzy8gc

Post by fzy8gc » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:31 am

Mike88 wrote:
garyan2 wrote:

Interesting that you mentioned WMC doesn't scan VHF frequencies. Is that only when using EPG123 or has something changed within WMC? I ask because the Chicago area used to have 2 VHF HD channels & still has CBS on VHF 12 and I don't recall ever manually adding a channel.
Actually I had to do this quite often with Rovi. It was always missing a channel here and there. You can find the actual frequency by giving the call letters + Wikipedia in a search engine. When the switch to HD happened some stations were forced to use a different frequency. If you look above channel 10 got to keep frequency 10. Channel 13 had to use frequency 12.