EPG123 Bug Reports

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
fzy8gc

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by fzy8gc » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:12 am

garyan2 wrote:
Space wrote:It appears that selecting/unselecting the channel provides two separate functions:

1) Selects the station associated with that channel so that listings for that station are included in the download.
2) Selects the channel so that it is enabled (not hidden) in the guide.

Since these are two separate and distinct functions, I think they should be treated as such.

Can you not have logic in epg123 so that if you select a channel, it adds the station for download (if not already), but if you unselect a channel, it checks all channels that point to the same station and only removes that station from download if none of those channels are checked.
They may be distinct, but I don't see them as separate at all. The show/hide function is based on the station(s) included in the download. If the station is added, the channel is shown; if the station is removed, the channel is hidden. At the same time, epg123 respects the users choice to show and/or hide any channels so once it is hidden, it stays hidden. There is no increase in the database size or the downloaded guide information/mxf file generation.

I just think the amount of effort required in code to cover all situations (what do you do if you add another lineup ... default duplicate stations on or off? or remove a lineup?) is considerable considering the benefit will just be the user won't have to uncheck a checkbox in WMC.

EDIT: I should also add that epg123 does not create channels on your tuners or in your guide ... it only connects the guide/schedule information to channels that are already a part of your tuners.
The way multiple turners are handled with Rovi/Microsoft is to first select the turner or turners and then select the one and only guide associated with that turner(s) selection. You do this process until all turners have been associated with a single guide.
For example in my case:
I would select my two ATSC turners and associate them with the Sarasota OTA lineup. All channels for that lineup are downloaded for those turners.
I then select my analog turner and associate it with the Hotwire Communications Cascades Cable lineup. All channels for that lineup are downloaded for that turner.
I use the Edit Guide function inside WMC to determine what stations I want to receive, record, and be shown in the guide.
There is no need to select channels as part of the lineup selection process.

If you can change the "Add New" function of the "Subscribe Lineups" in EPG123 to include which turner goes with which lineup chosen, no automatch function will be needed.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:59 am

fzy8gc wrote:The way multiple turners are handled with Rovi/Microsoft is to first select the turner or turners and then select the one and only guide associated with that turner(s) selection. You do this process until all turners have been associated with a single guide.
For example in my case:
I would select my two ATSC turners and associate them with the Sarasota OTA lineup. All channels for that lineup are downloaded for those turners.
I then select my analog turner and associate it with the Hotwire Communications Cascades Cable lineup. All channels for that lineup are downloaded for that turner.
I use the Edit Guide function inside WMC to determine what stations I want to receive, record, and be shown in the guide.
There is no need to select channels as part of the lineup selection process.

If you can change the "Add New" function of the "Subscribe Lineups" in EPG123 to include which turner goes with which lineup chosen, no automatch function will be needed.
Except it doesn't work that way when using the loadmxf.exe tool. There are limitations to using the tool, and the big one for what you outlined is the ability to associate a lineup with a group of tuners. Also, you can only have a single lineup in a mxf file. I toyed with the idea of creating multiple mxf files for each subscribed lineup, but couldn't see the benefit and only saw the downside of having larger mxf files with duplicate information.

If I could achieve the above, the automatch feature would still be needed simply because that is the way it works. There is really only one true built-in automatch feature in WMC and that is for ATSC/OTA channels (and possibly ClearQAM channels). The match on callsign feature is finicky and you must ensure your tuned channels have the matching callsign, not the other way around. Keep in mind that loadmxf and epg123 only control/affect the guide information...there is no capability to create/setup tuner channels. That is something Microsoft/Rovi do in the TV Setup routine and as part of their updates when required.

Now everything you outlined above is what I am already giving you. The only difference is epg123 allows you to not download any station you don't want. If you want all stations then click the All button.

Now here is where the downfall of my approach is: If you have multiple lineups, and they share the same channel numbers, then there will be some initial setup by the user required to ensure the proper station is applied to the proper tuner. This may be something I can address, but it won't be easy.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

fzy8gc

Post by fzy8gc » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:06 pm

Success!!

I saw on your web site the external link to "Guide Tool". I decided to give it a try. Here is the process I followed:

In WMC I performed the "Set Up TV Signal" as you documented on your web site.
Using EPG123, I selected the 2 lineups (Sarasota OTA and Hotwire Communications Cascades Cable) and selected "All" channels for both lineups.
I opened WMC and the Guide Tool and deleted all the ClearQAM channels causing me problems. While there I deleted all the non-functioning channels as well.
I closed Guide Tool and in WMC I added all the digital channels I commonly use; e.g. 3.1, 8.1, 10.1, 13.1, 40.1 and 44.1
I opened Guide Tool again and subscribed the services to the digital channels by Call Sign; e.g. 3.1 => WEDUDT
I closed the Guide Tool and re-ran EPG123 to make sure what I did with the Guide Tool held.

All the channels I want are there (digital and analog) and working as they should.
This was a tedious process, but got me were I wanted.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:53 pm

fzy8gc wrote:Success!!

I saw on your web site the external link to "Guide Tool". I decided to give it a try. Here is the process I followed:

Using EPG123, I selected the 2 lineups (Sarasota OTA and Hotwire Communications Cascades Cable) and selected "All" channels for both lineups.
I opened WMC and the Guide Tool and deleted all the ClearQAM channels causing me problems. While there I deleted all the non-functioning channels as well.
I closed Guide Tool and in WMC I added all the digital channels I commonly use; e.g. 3.1, 8.1, 10.1, 13.1, 40.1 and 44.1
I opened Guide Tool again and subscribed the services to the digital channels by Call Sign; e.g. 3.1 => WEDUDT
I closed the Guide Tool and re-ran EPG123 to make sure what I did with the Guide Tool held.

All the channels I want are there (digital and analog) and working as they should.
That's good news, but I've got a question. Other than deleting ClearQAM channels, epg123 should have handled all the work you did with Guide Tool automatically. The lineup channel and guide channels are matched based on channel number. Channel 3.1 in the guide will be matched with epg123 channel 3.1 automatically. What kind of results were you getting when you executed epg123 after WMC was setup?

EDIT: I should say epg123 v0.9.3 should have handled all the work.
- Gary

fzy8gc

Post by fzy8gc » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:01 am

garyan2 wrote:
fzy8gc wrote:Success!!

That's good news, but I've got a question. Other than deleting ClearQAM channels, epg123 should have handled all the work you did with Guide Tool automatically. The lineup channel and guide channels are matched based on channel number. Channel 3.1 in the guide will be matched with epg123 channel 3.1 automatically. What kind of results were you getting when you executed epg123 after WMC was setup?

EDIT: I should say epg123 v0.9.3 should have handled all the work.
There were no digital channels at all. Not even the ones above 13.1. I had to add them all in manually and then manually subscribed the services to each digital channel.
There were analog channels that went up to 150+ with no data. I deleted them starting at channel 71.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:13 am

fzy8gc wrote:There were no digital channels at all. Not even the ones above 13.1. I had to add them all in manually and then manually subscribed the services to each digital channel.
There were analog channels that went up to 150+ with no data. I deleted them starting at channel 71.
Weird. Looks to me like it didn't do a scan to find the channels in the first place. Once you add the channels manually, then epg123 automatch feature will work...command line would be "epgAutomatch.exe -match" to manually do it, or simply run an update again.
- Gary

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:07 am

I'm not sure where to ask this question but here it is.

In the WMC7 subforum it was mentioned that "The Blacklist" was not going to get recorded next week (4-14) and is labeled as a repeat. It's actually part 2 of 2 with a similar Title. Part 2 does say "Conclusion" in the title but I guess that's not enough for Rovi to make a distinction.

For those who record "The Blacklist" and use EPG123, does it show up in your recording schedule?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:18 am

Mike88 wrote:I'm not sure where to ask this question but here it is.

In the WMC7 subforum it was mentioned that "The Blacklist" was not going to get recorded next week (4-14) and is labeled as a repeat. It's actually part 2 of 2 with a similar Title. Part 2 does say "Conclusion" in the title but I guess that's not enough for Rovi to make a distinction.

For those who record "The Blacklist" and use EPG123, does it show up in your recording schedule?
No problem here.
blacklist.png
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:21 am

If you have your Series set to "New + Rerun" it should not be a problem. Note that I have reported this issue to Rovi yesterday.

Having consistently correct OAD dates is something with which Rovi seems to have a problem. Gracenote does not seem to have this problem.

P.S. If you are still using Rovi data, then posting in an EPG123 thread (which uses Gracenote data) is not the correct place :-).

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:57 am

Space wrote:

If you have your Series set to "New + Rerun" it should not be a problem. Note that I have reported this issue to Rovi yesterday.

Having consistently correct OAD dates is something with which Rovi seems to have a problem. Gracenote does not seem to have this problem.

P.S. If you are still using Rovi data, then posting in an EPG123 thread (which uses Gracenote data) is not the correct place :-).
The reason I posted in the EPG123 thread is because I wanted to know if EPG123 handled this properly. I figured if posted in the Rovi thread then no one from the EPG123 thread would see it.

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:18 pm

I've been getting this more often then not:

Code: Select all

[4/7/2016 12:00:03 PM] [ERROR] SD API WebException Thrown. Message: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden. , Status: ProtocolError
[4/7/2016 12:00:03 PM] [ERROR] Unhandled exception occurred. Exiting.
[4/7/2016 12:00:03 PM] [ERROR] Did not receive a response from Schedules Direct for retrieval of lineup USA-PA37649-X.
[4/7/2016 12:00:03 PM] Failed to create MXF file. Exiting.
This is via the scheduled task.

I'm not sure if there's anything I can do.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:39 pm

mldenison wrote:I've been getting this more often then not:

[4/7/2016 12:00:03 PM] [ERROR] SD API WebException Thrown. Message: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden. , Status: ProtocolError
[4/7/2016 12:00:03 PM] [ERROR] Unhandled exception occurred. Exiting.
[4/7/2016 12:00:03 PM] [ERROR] Did not receive a response from Schedules Direct for retrieval of lineup USA-PA37649-X.
[4/7/2016 12:00:03 PM] Failed to create MXF file. Exiting.
This is via the scheduled task.

I'm not sure if there's anything I can do.
Please update to v0.9.4 so we can look deeper into the reasons for the errors. It will give us some insight into where to look.
- Gary

fzy8gc

Post by fzy8gc » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:54 pm

What is the procedure to upgrade from 9.3 to 9.4 without loosing your setup?

I downloaded 9.4. I ran it and then discovered the channel selection I set up was gone. So I exited without saving or "Save and Execute".

glorp

Post by glorp » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:08 pm

Replace previous with new files from the .7z. If you have the previous version (or you can get it from web site) reversion is the opposite. Unless/until there's some new option or feature that's breaking you don't even need to start up the gui afterward.

If you run new from a different location than previous it will not find it's config file will and look like a new installation. That's probably what happened.

schottjy

Post by schottjy » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:14 pm

I've been getting the following errors in the Event Viewer when the scheduled task is run:

Event 10016, DistributedCOM

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
{4B635ECB-0887-4015-8CA6-D621362F98D1}
 and APPID 
{FA018B44-5E9F-4875-B127-5085A1B02ABD}
 to the user machine\username SID (S-1-5-21-3981345779-1187924864-634024704-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
Any ideas?

glorp

Post by glorp » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:28 pm

schottjy wrote:Any ideas?
Is your scheduled task running as a Windows Administrative user? It probably needs to if it isn't.

schottjy

Post by schottjy » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:09 pm

glorp wrote:
Is your scheduled task running as a Windows Administrative user? It probably needs to if it isn't.
The task is running as the same account that I used to setup/configure epg123 (which is an Administrator account). I don't remember seeing these errors when I ran my initial setup.

schottjy

Post by schottjy » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:47 pm

schottjy wrote:
glorp wrote:
The task is running as the same account that I used to setup/configure epg123 (which is an Administrator account). I don't remember seeing these errors when I ran my initial setup.
APPID {FA018B44-5E9F-4875-B127-5085A1B02ABD} seems to be for the ehSched service. Am I supposed to disable this service permantely? I know the Step 1 instructions said to stop ehrecvr/ehsched before blowing away the eHome dir and only re-starting ehrecvr, but I've rebooted my machine since installing epg123 and the ehsched service has been started again.

Thanks!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:50 am

The ehSched service is for your scheduled recordings. We only needed to disable the services to delete the ehome folder. After that it is still needed.
- Gary

schottjy

Post by schottjy » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:52 pm

garyan2 wrote:The ehSched service is for your scheduled recordings. We only needed to disable the services to delete the ehome folder. After that it is still needed.
Thanks for confirming about ehSched, that makes sense.

As for the original DistributedCOM errors, I set "Security options/Run with highest privileges" for the task and haven't seen them return.