EPG123 Bug Reports

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
fzy8gc

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by fzy8gc » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:29 am

I have 2 Windows 7 Media Center PCs. One has a dual OTA turner and a Colossus Card to a Dish Network 211k. The other PC has a dual OTA turner and an analog cable turner. Do I need 2 Schedules Direct ids? Or can I load the 3 listings (OTA, Cable, and Satellite) for both PCs under one Schedules direct id?

KenL

Post by KenL » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:59 am

If you can get all your channels in 4 lineups (Cable, Satellite, and 2 OTA?) you should be good with one.

I also have Colossus and 211z however I'm not ir blasting just yet. But do report back if the Schedules Direct + EPG123 fixes the Rovi/Colossus blaster +1 problem where it went to the wrong channel only during recordings.

fzy8gc

Post by fzy8gc » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:23 am

KenL wrote:If you can get all your channels in 4 lineups (Cable, Satellite, and 2 OTA?) you should be good with one.

I also have Colossus and 211z however I'm not ir blasting just yet. But do report back if the Schedules Direct + EPG123 fixes the Rovi/Colossus blaster +1 problem where it went to the wrong channel only during recordings.
I've had to overcome the +1 problem at least twice. I did a Media Center Recover Task to do it. The Colossus is currently performing correctly using the Rovi guide. If you need information how to initiate a WMC recovery, let me know.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:28 am

Everybody keep an eye out for the release of v0.9.3 ... most of the work is on the automatch feature and may even help with any lingering Rovi issues. I'm finishing up some trial runs and should release is tonight.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

KenL

Post by KenL » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:30 am

fzy8gc wrote:I've had to overcome the +1 problem at least twice. I did a Media Center Recover Task to do it. The Colossus is currently performing correctly using the Rovi guide. If you need information how to initiate a WMC recovery, let me know.
I think the best *recovery* is EPG123 with Gracenote/Zap2It listings. :mrgreen:

But if you do/or don't see that problem again using Schedules Direct listings report back and let us know.

fzy8gc

Post by fzy8gc » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:55 am

KenL wrote:
fzy8gc wrote:I've had to overcome the +1 problem at least twice. I did a Media Center Recover Task to do it. The Colossus is currently performing correctly using the Rovi guide. If you need information how to initiate a WMC recovery, let me know.
I think the best *recovery* is EPG123 with Gracenote/Zap2It listings. :mrgreen:

But if you do/or don't see that problem again using Schedules Direct listings report back and let us know.
Actually, I am having all sorts of problems. I can add the missing DTV channels. When I try to copy listings form another channel, I lose the channel altogether even though it is still shown in "add missing channels". I am calling it a night and let the guide update on its own at midnight. I'll take a look tomorrow.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:04 am

fzy8gc wrote:Actually, I am having all sorts of problems. I can add the missing DTV channels. When I try to copy listings form another channel, I lose the channel altogether even though it is still shown in "add missing channels". I am calling it a night and let the guide update on its own at midnight. I'll take a look tomorrow.
Check the website for the latest version (v0.9.3) ... might help with this. Why are you trying to copy? and not just use the channel in the epg123 lineup?

I'll see if I can duplicate it to try and understand what could be going on.
- Gary

fzy8gc

Post by fzy8gc » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:56 pm

garyan2 wrote:
fzy8gc wrote:Actually, I am having all sorts of problems. I can add the missing DTV channels. When I try to copy listings form another channel, I lose the channel altogether even though it is still shown in "add missing channels". I am calling it a night and let the guide update on its own at midnight. I'll take a look tomorrow.
Check the website for the latest version (v0.9.3) ... might help with this. Why are you trying to copy? and not just use the channel in the epg123 lineup?

I'll see if I can duplicate it to try and understand what could be going on.
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll try the new version soon.

When the ROVI/Microsoft guide dropped guide information, I copied the information from another working channel. For example, when OTA channel 40.1 WWSB was missing, I would add the digital channel and copying the WWSB guide information from the corresponding WWSB analog channel. When I added the missing digital channel using EPG123 there was no guide information, so I assumed I had to do a similar action. It is now obviously that was a mistake.

This morning the guide information showed up for the added digital channels I did not copy a line up into (8.2 and 13.1). I deleted the digital channels to which I tried to copy guide information (3.1, 8.1, and 10.1) and re-added them. I'll wait and see if the information shows up tomorrow. This is my backup system so I am not pressed to make this fully functional immediately.

fzy8gc

Post by fzy8gc » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:16 pm

I could not successfully get EPG123/Schedules Direct to handle 2 line ups with my OTA dual ATSC turner and my analog cable turner. In some cases information was lost and/or incorrect information was assigned to a channel. Neither tuner had a clean/correct line up. I even had some correct line ups assigned to a channel, but the channel could not record.

I rebuilt WMC and EPG123/Schedules Direct with only specifying 1 line up. The Sarasota OTA for the OTA dual turner. This configuration was successful.

Do you have any suggestions how to male 2 line ups work together? The specific line ups I used were Sarasota OTA and Hotwire Cascades Cable, My zip is 34243.

Paint

Post by Paint » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:35 pm

I have a small issue that is affecting v0.9.2 and v0.9.3 with the automatch feature.

When I start the EPG123 configuration GUI from a previously created epg123.cfg file, channel 119 and 619 are both selected even though I have only selected channel 619. I believe this is because both channels have the same call sign of ACWVNY.

I can post any log, configuration or do any debugging that you would like me to do to help resolve this issue. Thanks!

Code: Select all

Zip Code	  Location                  Name	                            Type	
10010	    New York, US	Verizon Fios New York Plus - Digital       CableDigital

Logical    Channel	Broadcast      Channel	XMLid	Call Sign	Name
119		                                     95570	 ACWVNY     Accuweather VZ NY
619		                                     95570	 ACWVNY     Accuweather VZ NY

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:45 am

Paint wrote:I have a small issue that is affecting v0.9.2 and v0.9.3 with the automatch feature.

When I start the EPG123 configuration GUI from a previously created epg123.cfg file, channel 119 and 619 are both selected even though I have only selected channel 619. I believe this is because both channels have the same call sign of ACWVNY.

I can post any log, configuration or do any debugging that you would like me to do to help resolve this issue. Thanks!

That behavior is by design. It comes at no cost (a single additional line in the mxf file) and can be hidden in the guide by editing the channel. This is causing a lot of confusion, and I still may want to change the behavior, but I think it will be a breaking change so have avoided it so far.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:53 am

fzy8gc wrote:I could not successfully get EPG123/Schedules Direct to handle 2 line ups with my OTA dual ATSC turner and my analog cable turner. In some cases information was lost and/or incorrect information was assigned to a channel. Neither tuner had a clean/correct line up. I even had some correct line ups assigned to a channel, but the channel could not record.

I rebuilt WMC and EPG123/Schedules Direct with only specifying 1 line up. The Sarasota OTA for the OTA dual turner. This configuration was successful.

Do you have any suggestions how to male 2 line ups work together? The specific line ups I used were Sarasota OTA and Hotwire Cascades Cable, My zip is 34243.
I'm not actually sure what is going on here. Are the channels from your cable tuner the same as in the epg123 GUI? or are your channel actually ClearQAM and tuning is something like 75.110? I've actually got 3 different lineups going on my setup, but I only have 1 tuner type.
- Gary

Paint

Post by Paint » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:02 am

garyan2 wrote:
fzy8gc wrote:I could not successfully get EPG123/Schedules Direct to handle 2 line ups with my OTA dual ATSC turner and my analog cable turner. In some cases information was lost and/or incorrect information was assigned to a channel. Neither tuner had a clean/correct line up. I even had some correct line ups assigned to a channel, but the channel could not record.

I'm not actually sure what is going on here. Are the channels from your cable tuner the same as in the epg123 GUI? or are your channel actually ClearQAM and tuning is something like 75.110? I've actually got 3 different lineups going on my setup, but I only have 1 tuner type.
The channel numbers are exactly the same in Schedules direct for FIOS New York (zip 10010) via my cable card on my Ceton Infini PCI 6 Tuner Card as ROVI and I am not using ClearQAM channels.

fzy8gc

Post by fzy8gc » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:42 pm

garyan2 wrote:

On the Hotwire - Cascades Cable line up there are a mix of channels. Some are analog and some are digital of some type. I am not 100% sure if they are ClearQAM. I only select the analog channels in the Hotwire Cascades Cable lineup when I set up the line up. I select all of the channels in the Sarasota OTA line up. Some of the analog channels have the same call sign.
If you have any suggestions, I'll re-run the setup and add in the analog turner and line up. If there is anything I can capture and send you I'll do that too.

marvin-miller

Post by marvin-miller » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:23 pm

Not really a bug report but I am seeing Distributed COM errors reported in the System Log when the EPG update task is fired;

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{4B635ECB-0887-4015-8CA6-D621362F98D1}
and APPID
{FA018B44-5E9F-4875-B127-5085A1B02ABD}
to the user (logged on user account) SID (x-y-z) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

I addressed this (as a work-around) by making the task fire under the System account :D

Paint

Post by Paint » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:26 pm

garyan2 wrote:
Paint wrote:I have a small issue that is affecting v0.9.2 and v0.9.3 with the automatch feature.

That behavior is by design. It comes at no cost (a single additional line in the mxf file) and can be hidden in the guide by editing the channel. This is causing a lot of confusion, and I still may want to change the behavior, but I think it will be a breaking change so have avoided it so far.
This makes sense. I would rather this "bug" stay in than you complicate the EPG123 source-code, which could lead to a worse bug.

I disabled channel 119 manually through Media Center and it has not come back since. Thanks!

sorry about responding to the wrong post BTW

fzy8gc

Post by fzy8gc » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:53 pm

fzy8gc wrote:
garyan2 wrote:

On the Hotwire - Cascades Cable line up there are a mix of channels. Some are analog and some are digital of some type. I am not 100% sure if they are ClearQAM. I only select the analog channels in the Hotwire Cascades Cable lineup when I set up the line up. I select all of the channels in the Sarasota OTA line up. Some of the analog channels have the same call sign.
If you have any suggestions, I'll re-run the setup and add in the analog turner and line up. If there is anything I can capture and send you I'll do that too.
I think I have figured out the issues:
Issue #1
In the Hotwire Communications Cascades Cable lineup there are 5 pair of digital and analog channels with the same call sign:
Channel 8 (digital) => 58 (analog), WXPX
Channel 10 (digital) => 62 (analog) WCLF
Channel 12 (digital) => 21 (analog) WTTA
Channel 13 (digital)=> 18 (analog), WUSF
Channel 14 (digital) => 63 (analog) WFTS
You cannot independently check these channels. If you check one, they both get checked. If you uncheck one, they both uncheck. I call this issue internal cross contamination.

Issue #2
When you add the second lineup, Hotwire Communications Cascades Cable lineup and Sarasota OTA lineup, there 8 digital channels between the two lineups with the same call sign:
Channel 2 (Hotwire) => 10.1 (OTA), WTSPDT
Channel 3 (Hotwire) => 40.1 (ATO), WWSBDT
Channel 4 (Hotwire) => 8.1 (ATO), WFLTDT
Channel 5 (Hotwire) => 13.1 (ATO), WTVTDT
Channel 6 (Hotwire) => 3.1 (ATO), WEDUDT
Channel 7 (Hotwire) => 32.1 (ATO), WMORDT
Channel 9 (Hotwire) => 50.1 (ATO), WFTTDT
Channel 11 (Hotwire) => 44.1 (ATO), WTOGDT
Like in issue #1,you cannot independently check these channels. If you check one, they both get checked. If you uncheck one, they both uncheck. I call this issue external cross contamination.

To solve this you have to be able to independently select the channel you want with some associated warning message about the other channel(s) with duplicate call sign(s).

I foresee this same issue with my satellite and OTA lineups on my other WMC system. The satellite also has the local OTA channels in its lineup. However, I may be able to get around this issue by selecting the eastern Dish Network lineup rather than the Tampa-Dish Network lineup. Though it is nice to have the satellite to fall back on if I want to record 3 different local channels simultaneously. There must be a way around these issues. Rovi/Microsoft and ZAPit2/Microsoft were able to handle these configurations.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:08 am

fzy8gc wrote:I think I have figured out the issues:
Issue #1
In the Hotwire Communications Cascades Cable lineup there are 5 pair of digital and analog channels with the same call sign:
Channel 8 (digital) => 58 (analog), WXPX
Channel 10 (digital) => 62 (analog) WCLF
Channel 12 (digital) => 21 (analog) WTTA
Channel 13 (digital)=> 18 (analog), WUSF
Channel 14 (digital) => 63 (analog) WFTS
You cannot independently check these channels. If you check one, they both get checked. If you uncheck one, they both uncheck. I call this issue internal cross contamination.

Issue #2
When you add the second lineup, Hotwire Communications Cascades Cable lineup and Sarasota OTA lineup, there 8 digital channels between the two lineups with the same call sign:
Channel 2 (Hotwire) => 10.1 (OTA), WTSPDT
Channel 3 (Hotwire) => 40.1 (ATO), WWSBDT
Channel 4 (Hotwire) => 8.1 (ATO), WFLTDT
Channel 5 (Hotwire) => 13.1 (ATO), WTVTDT
Channel 6 (Hotwire) => 3.1 (ATO), WEDUDT
Channel 7 (Hotwire) => 32.1 (ATO), WMORDT
Channel 9 (Hotwire) => 50.1 (ATO), WFTTDT
Channel 11 (Hotwire) => 44.1 (ATO), WTOGDT
Like in issue #1,you cannot independently check these channels. If you check one, they both get checked. If you uncheck one, they both uncheck. I call this issue external cross contamination.

To solve this you have to be able to independently select the channel you want with some associated warning message about the other channel(s) with duplicate call sign(s).

I foresee this same issue with my satellite and OTA lineups on my other WMC system. The satellite also has the local OTA channels in its lineup. However, I may be able to get around this issue by selecting the eastern Dish Network lineup rather than the Tampa-Dish Network lineup. Though it is nice to have the satellite to fall back on if I want to record 3 different local channels simultaneously. There must be a way around these issues. Rovi/Microsoft and ZAPit2/Microsoft were able to handle these configurations.
I wouldn't call this contamination. I think the best way to look at this is when selecting a channel in the lineups, you are not actually selecting the channel. What you are doing is selecting the station which can be on multiple channels and multiple lineups. This way if the station moves channels within a lineup, your guide will track it to its new location without missing a beat. This is also how the guide information is downloaded ... by stationId.

So then it comes down to how do you want your guide to look? Do you want to see both Hotwire Channel 2 and OTA 10.1 ... or do you only want to see just one of them? If you only want to see one, then by all means hide it in WMC or merge the 2 channels to make 1. I don't see any of this as being an issue, but is certainly something the user needs to be aware of and it is on me to make sure that this is understood...of which I am way behind on in providing this information.
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:42 am

It appears that selecting/unselecting the channel provides two separate functions:

1) Selects the station associated with that channel so that listings for that station are included in the download.
2) Selects the channel so that it is enabled (not hidden) in the guide.

Since these are two separate and distinct functions, I think they should be treated as such.

Can you not have logic in epg123 so that if you select a channel, it adds the station for download (if not already), but if you unselect a channel, it checks all channels that point to the same station and only removes that station from download if none of those channels are checked.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:20 am

Space wrote:It appears that selecting/unselecting the channel provides two separate functions:

1) Selects the station associated with that channel so that listings for that station are included in the download.
2) Selects the channel so that it is enabled (not hidden) in the guide.

Since these are two separate and distinct functions, I think they should be treated as such.

Can you not have logic in epg123 so that if you select a channel, it adds the station for download (if not already), but if you unselect a channel, it checks all channels that point to the same station and only removes that station from download if none of those channels are checked.
They may be distinct, but I don't see them as separate at all. The show/hide function is based on the station(s) included in the download. If the station is added, the channel is shown; if the station is removed, the channel is hidden. At the same time, epg123 respects the users choice to show and/or hide any channels so once it is hidden, it stays hidden. There is no increase in the database size or the downloaded guide information/mxf file generation.

I just think the amount of effort required in code to cover all situations (what do you do if you add another lineup ... default duplicate stations on or off? or remove a lineup?) is considerable considering the benefit will just be the user won't have to uncheck a checkbox in WMC.

EDIT: I should also add that epg123 does not create channels on your tuners or in your guide ... it only connects the guide/schedule information to channels that are already a part of your tuners.
- Gary