Introducing EPG123

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
sptrainman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by sptrainman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:22 am

Yes, that's exactly right. The GUI shows Client Mode is selected although that area is grayed out. So that explains why the file was not updated.

After my post, I did figure out how to update the guide manually by reading the 123 guide more carefully. So I have 14 days of data now in WMC.

So the next questions would be:
1. How do a change to Full mode?
2. How can I change the time when the update occurs?
3. Is there a way to have the update occur when it is delayed by a recording that is in progress?

I have it set for midnight right now which is not a good time. I sometimes record programs past midnight.

I have tried to attach the log which now shows my manual update, but I am getting a message that says the attachment is not allowed.

Thanks,
Jerry

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:31 am

sptrainman wrote:Yes, that's exactly right. The GUI shows Client Mode is selected although that area is grayed out. So that explains why the file was not updated.

After my post, I did figure out how to update the guide manually by reading the 123 guide more carefully. So I have 14 days of data now in WMC.

So the next questions would be:
1. How do a change to Full mode?
2. How can I change the time when the update occurs?
3. Is there a way to have the update occur when it is delayed by a recording that is in progress?

I have it set for midnight right now which is not a good time. I sometimes record programs past midnight.

I have tried to attach the log which now shows my manual update, but I am getting a message that says the attachment is not allowed.

Thanks,
Jerry
For #1 and #2, just delete the existing task and create a new one... probably easier to use the EPG123 Client and select the radio button.

For #3, it would require editing the scheduled task action to add a -F switch to the command line. This will force an update regardless of recording activity. Easiest thing to do would be to change the update time and try to avoid on-the-hour times (00:00) ... people tend to schedule updates at the same time and it hits the servers pretty hard. Spreading out the times does some load-balancing.

Don't need to see the log now, but I was more asking you to copy the text and paste into the post surrounded by the [ Code ][/ Code ] whatever they're called.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

sptrainman

Post by sptrainman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:43 am

Sorry. I guess I don't know how to delete the "task." I restarted the client but all of the options are still grayed out. I can't change anything.

Looking in the task manage, I do not see a 'task' running other then the client.exe.

Jerry

sptrainman

Post by sptrainman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:08 am

sptrainman wrote:Sorry. I guess I don't know how to delete the "task." I restarted the client but all of the options are still grayed out. I can't change anything.

Looking in the task manage, I do not see a 'task' running other then the client.exe.

Jerry
OK. I had to stop WMC and then I was able to set up Full Mode using the client.

Thanks for your help and thanks for writing this program and making it available.
Jerry :D

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:38 am

sptrainman wrote:Sorry. I guess I don't know how to delete the "task." I restarted the client but all of the options are still grayed out. I can't change anything.

Jerry
Sorry, I meant the Scheduled Task in either EPG123 GUI. There should have been a button with a shield on it that says [Delete].
- Gary

andrewjs18

Post by andrewjs18 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:33 am

hi all,

I'm considering trying this out since I'm sick and tired of dealing with the guide issues every few months...

Is there a way I can dump my recording schedule to a .txt file or a .xls so I can easily reapply the recording schedule after I make the switch?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:13 pm

andrewjs18 wrote:hi all,

I'm considering trying this out since I'm sick and tired of dealing with the guide issues every few months...

Is there a way I can dump my recording schedule to a .txt file or a .xls so I can easily reapply the recording schedule after I make the switch?
Take a look at this thread. viewtopic.php?f=99&t=11006&p=119184#p118801

Space had some links to an cool way to parse out the xml file containing your recording schedule.
- Gary

andrewjs18

Post by andrewjs18 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:20 am

I made the switch to epg123 tonight. I got tired of messing with the guide and trying to make it work. I think it was starting to corrupt files so I backed up my C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\mcepgX-Y\backup\recordings files and then went to town with the epg123 tool.

thanks for the help as well, garyan2!

tghowe

Post by tghowe » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:11 am

Just made the switch today after Rovi's latest issue. Thank you for being here!
Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely

bernarda

Post by bernarda » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:47 am

Just installed and found a channel mislabel that I'd like to manually fix but can't see how. I had channel WNUDT2 (StationID 48608) listed as AntennaTV with Rovi which is correct. SchedulesDirect lists it as GetTV but has the correct schedule data of Antenna TV. Is there a way to manually change the label so I get the correct Logo?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:53 am

bernarda wrote:Just installed and found a channel mislabel that I'd like to manually fix but can't see how. I had channel WNUDT2 (StationID 48608) listed as AntennaTV with Rovi which is correct. SchedulesDirect lists it as GetTV but has the correct schedule data of Antenna TV. Is there a way to manually change the label so I get the correct Logo?
Are you referring to the channel logo?
- Gary

lhwidget

Post by lhwidget » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:38 am

Hi garyan2,
I finally have up on Rovi and went with you and sched direct. Perfect since the change, it's a great program. I posted this in the big summer boo-boo thread, but they insist on beating their heads on hard surfaces and deleted my experience and brief advice to change.

Thanks again!

Jay

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:47 am

lhwidget wrote:Hi garyan2,
I finally have up on Rovi and went with you and sched direct. Perfect since the change, it's a great program. I posted this in the big summer boo-boo thread, but they insist on beating their heads on hard surfaces and deleted my experience and brief advice to change.

Thanks again!

Jay
You can lead a horse to water ...

Seriously though, I brought epg123 here in February 2016 and have never seen a decline in users, month-over-month. The MS/Rovi issues from earlier this year (end of January/beginning of February) brought over a couple hundred new users, and this current mess has brought over about 1400 new users so far. I do expect to see some, or even a lot of the those fall off since my PSA was basically get 7 days free and guide data for ~3 weeks. We'll see in the next week or two how many just did the 7 days and went back to Rovi. I'm thinking most will appreciate the drastic improvement in quality, reliability, and support with EPG123 with Schedules Direct.
- Gary

bernarda

Post by bernarda » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:21 am

garyan2 wrote:
bernarda wrote:Just installed and found a channel mislabel that I'd like to manually fix but can't see how. I had channel WNUDT2 (StationID 48608) listed as AntennaTV with Rovi which is correct. SchedulesDirect lists it as GetTV but has the correct schedule data of Antenna TV. Is there a way to manually change the label so I get the correct Logo?
Yeah. It should be AntennaTV but its GetTV.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:30 am

bernarda wrote:
garyan2 wrote:
Yeah. It should be AntennaTV but its GetTV.
Place the below file in your epg123\logos folder and copy over the existing one. My Channel Logos has a much better logo for AntennaTV, but this is the one you would get from Schedules Direct. I'll have to ask how Schedules Direct handles the logos and if it is a "ticketable" item.

This is a problem with OTA channels, the channels stay the same, but the station can change. I'm sure at some point WNUDT2 was GetTV but was moved somewhere else or simply changed to AntennaTV.
WNUDT2.png
WNUDT2.png (4.1 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
- Gary

roberto188@gmail.com

Post by roberto188@gmail.com » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:21 pm

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I've been using the crap guide from Microsoft for over a year now and just recently we've had major issues with the guide not updating, channels missing, my wife's shows not recording (gasp)! I just configured my two computers to use EPG123, one as a server/full mode and the other as a client and it has worked flawlessly! The channels icons are AWESOME, the descriptions are great, the search functions actually work and the episode numbers on shows are super helpful. I can't believe it took me this long to make the switch THANK you so much!

rkulagow

Post by rkulagow » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:41 pm

Open a ticket at the Schedules Direct website please so that I can look into this.

bernarda

Post by bernarda » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:12 pm

Place the below file in your epg123\logos folder and copy over the existing one. My Channel Logos has a much better logo for AntennaTV, but this is the one you would get from Schedules Direct.
Thanks. Yeah, it was likely GetTV before AntennaTV because googling shows many tv listings saying it's still GetTV.

jeffvw

Post by jeffvw » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:16 pm

Wow. Glad I found this! :D

Have been dealing with no HD guide from Cablevision for a couple of weeks now. Have tried all sorts of "workarounds" for the past couple of days when I stumbled on your app.

Signed up for a trial at Schedule Direct, installed your app, and whamo! I now have full guide again!

My Setup:
HDHomerun Prime with a 3 tuner cable card from Cablevision
Dedicated PC running win7 and WMC
3 Xbox 360's connected to TV's. (Xbox 360's have a built in WMC connector for those of you that don't know)

Basically, you use the Xbox360 as the cable box. It connects to the WMC PC (which decodes all the encrypted channels coming from the cable company). WMC supports up to 5 simultaneously connected extenders (Xbox360's).

Anyway, thanks again!

ruff_hi

Post by ruff_hi » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:16 am

My avast anti virus program reports epg123Setup_v1.1.10.exe as malware. I searched for avast in this thread (no hits) so I am wondering ... false positive ... or ... ?