Introducing EPG123

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Jim-W

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Jim-W » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:35 pm

jriker1 wrote:Thanks, what does automatch do specifically? When I'm done processing the wrong guide so I can at least get my shows recording again will look at it specifically.

Thanks.

JR
If there is a glitch in Schedules Direct lineup and channels go missing, automatch will remove the channels that are missing from the guide.

To report a problem just login to SD and click Report Lineup Problems.

When the channels come back, manually Automatch and your channels should be back.

Jim-W

Post by Jim-W » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:38 pm

jriker1 wrote:Thanks, what does automatch do specifically? When I'm done processing the wrong guide so I can at least get my shows recording again will look at it specifically.

Thanks.

JR
After reporting it to SD he usually has it fixed within an hour.

jriker1

Post by jriker1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:47 pm

Don't see any automatch option however do not understand why after switching to another guide and executing it, nothing is being recognized.

Jim-W

Post by Jim-W » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:51 pm

jriker1 wrote:Don't see any automatic option however do not understand why after switching to another guide and executing it, nothing is being recognized.
In 1.1.3 it's done where you create the Scheduled Task, Two checkboxes, uncheck Automatically match stations to channels. I have to run epg123 as Administrator to delete and recreate the task.

Jim-W

Post by Jim-W » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:53 pm

Then you can manually Automatch with epg123client.exe

rkulagow

Post by rkulagow » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:54 pm

jriker1 wrote:I pay for EPG service and suddenly all my shows stopped working. So much for better than what MS was offering. All I have is like 20 channels now.
Please open a ticket at the Schedules Direct website. Lineups are in the process of being refreshed, but if you open a ticket then I can have your lineup updated "now".

jriker1

Post by jriker1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:58 pm

The people at schedules direct said me saying my listing (gave the exact guide selection name) is limited doesn't give them anything to go on. Don't even think they looked at it. Told me to try something other than EPG123.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:37 am

Jim-W wrote:

Thanks.

JR
If there is a glitch in Schedules Direct lineup and channels go missing, automatch will remove the channels that are missing from the guide.

To report a problem just login to SD and click Report Lineup Problems.

When the channels come back, manually Automatch and your channels should be back.
With v1.1.x and higher, when there is a glitch and channels go missing, the update is aborted. I updated the software to detect if there was a loss of at least 10% of your expected channels, it will abort the update and not affect your guide other than missing that days updates. No need to be concerned about automatch in this case.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:43 am

jriker1 wrote:Don't see any automatch option however do not understand why after switching to another guide and executing it, nothing is being recognized.
With version 1.1.x, the reason there was an update utility is due to changing the way I identify channels in the mxf file. The id of each channel now includes the lineup name along with the station id and channel number. Since you changed your lineup, and did not change the station match to guide channel, everything is kinda lost.

Basically it is looking for channel X on lineup Y but can't find it because you now have channel X on lineup Z.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:46 am

Jim-W wrote:This happened to me twice now, last time was just several days ago, contact Schedules Direct. Hint, turn off Automatch in epg123.
This was going on a couple days ago? What version were you running?
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:50 am

jriker1 wrote:Also note if I run the epg123client.exe it still shows the old channel lineup, not the new one I selected.
There were some changes in 1.1.x with the automatic import and automatch. If doing a Save&Execute, you will have to ensure that the checkboxes for the import and match are checked as desired.
- Gary

Jim-W

Post by Jim-W » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:39 am

garyan2 wrote:
Jim-W wrote:This happened to me twice now, last time was just several days ago, contact Schedules Direct. Hint, turn off Automatch in epg123.
When this happened I was running 1.0.2, after SD got it fixed I updated to 1.1.3 and that is when I started to have recordings starting late but after a few tweaks and about 50 recordings later that seems to be fixed.

And I think I either found a bug or it's something with my system.
v1.1.3, if I check or uncheck a channel or channels in the lineup and run Save & Execute it seems to check every channel and downloads guide data for all 728 channels. If I re-open epg123 all channels are checked. However, if I check or uncheck a channel or channels, click Save and run the task from Task Scheduler, my channel selections are all intact.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:48 am

Jim-W wrote:
garyan2 wrote:
When this happened I was running 1.0.2, after SD got it fixed I updated to 1.1.3 and that is when I started to have recordings starting late but after a few tweaks and about 50 recordings later that seems to be fixed.

And I think I either found a bug or it's something with my system.
v1.1.3, if I check or uncheck a channel or channels in the lineup and run Save & Execute it seems to check every channel and downloads guide data for all 728 channels. If I re-open epg123 all channels are checked. However, if I check or uncheck a channel or channels, click Save and run the task from Task Scheduler, my channel selections are all intact.
Yah, I've got a fix for that "feature" ... if the Save is clicked twice in a single session, everything gets checked sometimes. I couldn't remember if I had fixed that in 1.1.3, or I found it afterwards, so you just confirmed that only have the fix right now.

The fix will be in 1.1.4.

Thank you!
- Gary

rkulagow

Post by rkulagow » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:53 am

jriker1 wrote:The people at schedules direct said me saying my listing (gave the exact guide selection name) is limited doesn't give them anything to go on. Don't even think they looked at it. Told me to try something other than EPG123.
Hi - we handle lots and lots of tickets per day. I wasn't able to find a "jriker1" active ticket in our system.

Please send me a PM with the Schedules Direct RT ticket number because what you have in this message isn't enough for me to figure out what the root cause was. If it's something that we can fix then we'll fix it.

Thanks.

Jim-W

Post by Jim-W » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:56 am

jriker1 wrote:The people at schedules direct said me saying my listing (gave the exact guide selection name) is limited doesn't give them anything to go on. Don't even think they looked at it. Told me to try something other than EPG123.
Are you on FIOS by chance?

davidhyams

Post by davidhyams » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:03 am

Installed the EPG123 solution on my Xbox 360 Extender PC. After some messing around to get the eHome folder deleted, the installation was successful. I've been using the system for a few days and it appear to be working very well. After multiple EPG screw ups (missing channels and incorrect channel numbers) using the ROVI/TiVo EPG, I was driven to look for another EPG option. Being a former Microsoft development contractor working in the Xbox group, I was drawn to the EPG123 solution. Glad I gave it a try. Good job...!

davidhyams

Post by davidhyams » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:10 am

Given the performance so far, I went ahead and extended my subscription with Schedules Direct to 1 year. My experiences with the ROVI/TiVo EPG was so terrible that I had no choice but to try EPG123 and so far so good. As long as I can get decent support for EPG123 and Schedules Direct, my $150+ subscription to CHARTER Spectrum seems worthwhile. After using Media Center for many years, I was considering switching to a TiVo system because of the EPG issues. When I learned that TiVo had purchased ROVI, my confidence in TiVo as an alternative to Media Center was dashed. Besides my Media Center system is setup with 5TB for DVR storage and I have a lot of development time invested in TV data mining hacks to Media Center. At this point, thanks to garyan2 for coming to my rescue.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:08 am

davidhyams wrote:I have a lot of development time invested in TV data mining hacks to Media Center.
That sounds intriguing, what sort of things are you doing?
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

sptrainman

Post by sptrainman » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:59 pm

I just installed EPG123 on July 4 because I was unable to update my guide and I was running out of guide data. I was able to do the install and got 2 weeks of good guide data right away. However, my guide is not updating even though I tried to set it up for automatic updates. Looking at the guide.pdf, I'm not sure what I need to do next. I checked the trace log file and it appears that it tried to update at midnight on July 4 but there was an error because a program was being recorded. At midnight on July 5, the trace log says that the update was successful. However, the guide data ends on July 17 at 4 pm which means I have only 11 days of data right now. Also, the latest .xmf file is time stamped for July 4 at 4 pm.

I'm not sure what I need to try next.
Thanks,
Jerry

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:53 pm

Open the EPG123 GUI and look at the scheduled task group. Does it say something to the effect that it is in client mode only? Could you post the contents of your trace.log file for the last scheduled update?
- Gary