Introducing EPG123

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
garyan2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by garyan2 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:53 pm

maize1951 wrote:I had no trouble when I updated from a older version of EPG123 and clicked and dropped new version of EPG123 (new version 1.1.0 confirmed) on old version and it updated automatically without using the EPG123 utility. Am I missing something here?
Did you delete and recreate the scheduled task? If not, then the updated listings are not being imported into WMC. But there is a secret that I may share depending on your response. ;)
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

maize1951

Post by maize1951 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:24 pm

I did hit save and execute immediately after I clicked and dropped (the listings were already there). By the way I couldn't click and drop the utility on epg123.cfg because somehow Windows 7 wouldn't let me for some reason.

maize1951

Post by maize1951 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:16 am

maize1951 wrote:I did hit save and execute immediately after I clicked and dropped (the listings were already there). By the way I couldn't click and drop the utility on epg123.cfg because somehow Windows 7 wouldn't let me for some reason.
Latter on I took everything out and reinstalled EPG123 and now everything works fine even though it took awhile to reinstall the guide data.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:03 am

Hagrinas wrote:On an unrelated note, I found another glitch. It's minor enough that I wouldn't care if it's addressed but I might as well point it out. In EPG123, channel numbers are sorted like decimal numbers, which is wrong. Doing so might give 1.10,1.1,1.2, instead of 1.1,1.2,1.10. In most markets I wouldn't expect enough subchannels for it to matter.
Thanks! I didn't think of the sorting of lineups that have larger sub-channels or QAM. Easy fix and will be in next release. :thumbup:
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:48 am

@Hagrinas, What lineup did you notice the sorting issue on? I'd like to check the code to verify it works.
- Gary

mhaider

Post by mhaider » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:14 pm

Since upgrading to version 1.1.0 over the weekend, I noticed the following error in the events viewer,

12:04:35 AM - The MD5 hash of Program SH010745710000 does not match the expected MD5 provided by the Service Schedule.

This is one line of many similar lines in the one event. Prior to the 1.1.0 update I had two events for one scheduled guide download, now I have four events. The first one is the start of the scheduled update with it ending at downloading and processing XXXX program descriptions. The second event is a warning event with the above MD5 hash error messages. The third event starts with completed processing program description and ending with completed cache cleanup after deleting xxxx files. The fourth event starts with beginning epg123 client execution and ending with completed epg123 client execution.

What do you make of the warning event that's happening?

Thanks

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:47 pm

mhaider wrote:Since upgrading to version 1.1.0 over the weekend, I noticed the following error in the events viewer,

12:04:35 AM - The MD5 hash of Program SH010745710000 does not match the expected MD5 provided by the Service Schedule.

This is one line of many similar lines in the one event. Prior to the 1.1.0 update I had two events for one scheduled guide download, now I have four events. The first one is the start of the scheduled update with it ending at downloading and processing XXXX program descriptions. The second event is a warning event with the above MD5 hash error messages. The third event starts with completed processing program description and ending with completed cache cleanup after deleting xxxx files. The fourth event starts with beginning epg123 client execution and ending with completed epg123 client execution.

Thanks
As explained to me by Schedules Direct, they do batch updates on their servers from Gracenote. There are times while doing their updates, some program information has changed which will change the Md5 of the program. The service schedules that have already processed during the batch will contain the old md5 hash. Bottom line, if you get the alert, than the program information is probably stale ... but will be refreshed on the next epg123 update that occurs after the next SD batch run (which is 2/day?).
- Gary

mhaider

Post by mhaider » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:11 pm

garyan2 wrote:
mhaider wrote:Since upgrading to version 1.1.0 over the weekend, I noticed the following error in the events viewer,

Thanks
As explained to me by Schedules Direct, they do batch updates on their servers from Gracenote. There are times while doing their updates, some program information has changed which will change the Md5 of the program. The service schedules that have already processed during the batch will contain the old md5 hash. Bottom line, if you get the alert, than the program information is probably stale ... but will be refreshed on the next epg123 update that occurs after the next SD batch run (which is 2/day?).
Makes sense to me. Thanks for the info. Is my schedules guide update task supposed to run twice a day? I just looked and it's only once a day right now. I'm manually running it now to see what happens. Now that I think about it, the default WMC task ran twice a day didn't it?

Thanks again.

rkulagow

Post by rkulagow » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:23 pm

garyan2 wrote: As explained to me by Schedules Direct, they do batch updates on their servers from Gracenote. There are times while doing their updates, some program information has changed which will change the Md5 of the program. The service schedules that have already processed during the batch will contain the old md5 hash. Bottom line, if you get the alert, than the program information is probably stale ... but will be refreshed on the next epg123 update that occurs after the next SD batch run (which is 2/day?).
4x day.

rkulagow

Post by rkulagow » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:16 am

Test message - no new messages?

noslack

Post by noslack » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:22 am

Updated to new version and now the guide is not showing in the WMC, did all the upgrade stuff, MXF file transfer and all but nothing, rebuilt database too...

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:42 am

noslack wrote:Updated to new version and now the guide is not showing in the WMC, did all the upgrade stuff, MXF file transfer and all but nothing, rebuilt database too...
Need a little more. OS version, tuners, trace.log contents of updates from utility to now, anything special about the lineup?

Also, like to know what your epg123Client GUI looks like (ref below).
Do you see your merged channels on the left? check marks for enabled? service name and subscribed lineup populated?
Do you see the EPG123 lineup on the right? One instance of each channel or multiple?
Does the text next to the [Registry] button say "Configured"?

- Gary

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:20 pm

Wanted to throw out this simple tip/reminder: If you update your Schedules Direct password, be sure to update all your EPG123 clients. Learned that lesson this morning after updating my SD password yesterday while renewing my subscription. Figured this might save someone a minor headache in the future.

pittsoccer33

Post by pittsoccer33 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:13 am

i had to reinstall w7 and now im at my wits end with epg123. on my tv strip in wmc i only have recorded tv and live tv as options. no guide, no search, etc. where am i going wrong?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:41 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:i had to reinstall w7 and now im at my wits end with epg123. on my tv strip in WMC i only have recorded tv and live tv as options. no guide, no search, etc. where am i going wrong?
Take a look here first ... http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 60#p115660
- Gary

rmeden

Post by rmeden » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:33 pm

Sancho wrote:Wanted to throw out this simple tip/reminder: If you update your Schedules Direct password, be sure to update all your EPG123 clients. Learned that lesson this morning after updating my SD password yesterday while renewing my subscription. Figured this might save someone a minor headache in the future.
The #1 reported SD account problem! 2-3 a week. :)

pittsoccer33

Post by pittsoccer33 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:02 pm

garyan2 wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:i had to reinstall w7 and now im at my wits end with epg123. on my tv strip in WMC i only have recorded tv and live tv as options. no guide, no search, etc. where am i going wrong?
Take a look here first ... http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 60#p115660
Many thanks. That made me realize when I tried to reinstall the SiliconDust software that I was getting another bizarre error message about not having Visual Basic installed. When I did that I could run the SD software and do the channel scan.

I'm also fairly positive when I first set this up last year that I didn't use the EPG Client application. So between using that to clear the schedule and running the channel scan after another 15 minutes of fiddling I got it working.

Many many thanks again. Its scary reinstalling W7 so long after mainstream support (and even availability) for so many plugins has ended.

jriker1

Post by jriker1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:25 pm

I pay for EPG service and suddenly all my shows stopped working. So much for better than what MS was offering. All I have is like 20 channels now. Mostly labeled GAME2 - GAM##. Just started today. Fun part with EPG is instead of you running short of guide data, this issue just blanket lost all data for all channels and all recordings instantly stopped. What gives? I just updated to 1.1.3 and didn't help. Didn't change anything when this first happened.

Note when I delete and read it still does this. Picked the next closest town's Comcast instance and it filled in correctly but some channels are off so that's why I use my location.

Note I think this is more a gripe at schedules direct, but not sure how to let them know it's messed up.

Thanks.

JR
Last edited by jriker1 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim-W

Post by Jim-W » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:30 pm

jriker1 wrote:I pay for EPG service and suddenly all my shows stopped working. So much for better than what MS was offering. All I have is like 20 channels now. Mostly labeled GAME2 - GAM##. Just started today. Fun part with EPG is instead of you running short of guide data, this issue just blanket lost all data for all channels and all recordings instantly stopped. What gives? I just updated to 1.1.3 and didn't help. Didn't change anything when this first happened.

Thanks.

JR
This happened to me twice now, last time was just several days ago, contact Schedules Direct. Hint, turn off Automatch in epg123.

jriker1

Post by jriker1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:32 pm

Thanks, what does automatch do specifically? When I'm done processing the wrong guide so I can at least get my shows recording again will look at it specifically.

Also I ran an update and still showing "No recordings have been scheduled"

Even after I switched to a new guide selection that have the missing channels, MCE is still missing in the guide after the update. Ugh!!!

Also note if I run the epg123client.exe it still shows the old channel lineup, not the new one I selected.

Thanks.

JR
Last edited by jriker1 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.