Introducing EPG123

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Important Information
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: http://epg123.garyan2.net <> Setup guide here: http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/epg123_Guide.pdf

Re: Introducing EPG123

Post#1561 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:36 pm

Finally got it working like it should. Of course part of it was user error! Fiddled around with settings a bit and everything is working as it should... Yay! Just sent you a donation as I finally got on the bandwagon after using your program for quite a while now. Sorry for how long it took but better late than never! Besides, us AZ homies gots ta stick together! lol
Thanks again for all the work on this program and the support you give everyone!
romperroom

Post#1562 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:32 am

garyan2 wrote:
dkm wrote:New feature for that settings screen - Option to show/hide channel numbers in the guides. Personally I do not use channel numbers, I organize my guide alphabetically by name.

Do you not use logos, then?

Sorry for the late reply, been off the internet due to the holidays.

I do use logos. They are the only thing in the first column of my guide. Since I never tune directly by channel number, and only through the guide, I don't need to know CBS is channel 1, etc. I also don't need to see "WXYZ" or whatever the callsign is next to the logo, since that is usually either duplicate information (WCBS is CBS) or confusing (WXYZ is NBC). The callsign is still tracked in the back end, I can get to it if I edit the channel in the guide, as that is what is actually sorted on when I sort alphabetically.

Update - I see the feature in the latest tweak utility. Thank you!
dkm

Post#1563 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:02 am

dkm wrote:
garyan2 wrote:
dkm wrote:New feature for that settings screen - Option to show/hide channel numbers in the guides. Personally I do not use channel numbers, I organize my guide alphabetically by name.

Do you not use logos, then?

Sorry for the late reply, been off the internet due to the holidays.

I do use logos. They are the only thing in the first column of my guide. Since I never tune directly by channel number, and only through the guide, I don't need to know CBS is channel 1, etc. I also don't need to see "WXYZ" or whatever the callsign is next to the logo, since that is usually either duplicate information (WCBS is CBS) or confusing (WXYZ is NBC). The callsign is still tracked in the back end, I can get to it if I edit the channel in the guide, as that is what is actually sorted on when I sort alphabetically.

Update - I see the feature in the latest tweak utility. Thank you!

Quite all right. I'm strictly OTA here, so my question was along those lines that the WQRK call signs don't mean anything at all and sorting by name has no benefit. Nevertheless, I implemented your request and actually like the look of it very much. I didn't think I would, but it grew on me pretty quickly.

You can pick up the new version of EPG123 with the new tool and give it a go. There is also an active beta version of the client tool with some improvements located here (http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/epg ... t_beta.zip).
garyan2

HTPC Specs: Show details
- Gary
Stomping out the Rovi disease, one media center at a time. http://epg123.garyan2.net

Post#1564 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:17 pm

garyan2 wrote:
dkrom wrote:I'd like to incorporate the logos that epg123 downloads, but I don't have My Channel Logos - how do you go about adding them without My Channel Logos? I've scoured the internet and have yet to find directions, but the directions for epg123 say that it's possible. I have no qualms editing files, the registry, etc.

I download the logos linked by Schedules Direct and place them in a sub-folder \sdlogos. From there, you can take any of the logos and edit them for size, aspect, and even color to make it look good in the guide. Once you are done, all you have to is place the finished logo and place it in a different sub-folder \logos. The logo must be a .png and the name must be the call sign of the station it is for.

The MCL website defines how to make the logos look right here. The takeaway from their instruction is:

Code: Select all
Size
42 px tall by 96 px wide for regular logos. 75 px tall by 225 px wide for big logos
If your logo is not wide enough: Do not center a blank space. Cut the width down so it just fits the logo. No padding!
If your logo is not tall enough: Center the logo vertically in a transparent 42 x 96 pixel background (or 75x225px background)

The next time a MXF file is created, it will use the logos in the .\logos folder if you have the option selected.

I'm new to epg123, still on 7 day trial so trying to evaluate as much as possible as quickly as I can with the trial time restraint. If I edit a logo and replace the logo in .\logos, I'd like to see as soon as possible how it looks in the guide. You state above that the next time a MXF file is created, I can see the result of the new logo being inserted. Is the MXF file created only when the Scheduled Task is run (overnight in my case)? Can I expedite this, like in MCL? (I remember with MCL, I can change the logo, hit a button (I think), close WMC, reopen it, and it was there. It took 2 minutes or less. Can this be done?)
PeteS457

Post#1565 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:35 pm

PeteS457 wrote:I'm new to epg123, still on 7 day trial so trying to evaluate as much as possible as quickly as I can with the trial time restraint. If I edit a logo and replace the logo in .\logos, I'd like to see as soon as possible how it looks in the guide. You state above that the next time a MXF file is created, I can see the result of the new logo being inserted. Is the MXF file created only when the Scheduled Task is run (overnight in my case)? Can I expedite this, like in MCL? (I remember with MCL, I can change the logo, hit a button (I think), close WMC, reopen it, and it was there. It took 2 minutes or less. Can this be done?)

EPG123 is a little different than MCL with this in that instead of pointing to the image file on a drive, EPG123 actually embeds the image in the MXF file. The same MXF file can then be imported into an infinite number of media centers and they will all have the same logos.

To make it happen immediately(ish), you need to perform a Save&Execute to update the MXF file with the new logo and to import into the database.
garyan2

- Gary
Stomping out the Rovi disease, one media center at a time. http://epg123.garyan2.net

Post#1566 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:09 pm

Ugghhh...that's what I was afraid of. I did a Save&Execute manually and yes, I saw the logos I had replaced, but they still needed tweaking as I learn how to improve them with gimp, etc. So this is a process. And a Save&Execute (in my case), takes 10-15 minutes each time.
PeteS457

Post#1567 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:52 am

PeteS457 wrote:Ugghhh...that's what I was afraid of. I did a Save&Execute manually and yes, I saw the logos I had replaced, but they still needed tweaking as I learn how to improve them with gimp, etc. So this is a process. And a Save&Execute (in my case), takes 10-15 minutes each time.
You can shorten the time by copying the exe files, your config file, and your logos folder to another directory and change the number of days to download to 1 day. Run from there.
garyan2

- Gary

Post#1568 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:17 pm

OK. That makes sense now that I know what goes into a MXF file. I had my number of days to download set to 21 so that's why it was taking so long. If I copy the files you indicated and run it from another directory with it fetching only one days' guide info, it will run quicker and I assume automatically load it into the guide from there for testing purposes. When I get the logos like I want, I can remove the directory and run Save&Execute from the original directory to restore the 21 day guide info and it will run as a scheduled task overnight to keep it up to date. If this is incorrect, please correct me. Thanks very much.
PeteS457

Post#1569 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:38 pm

Welcome to epg123. I've been using it since early beta in March or April 2016 and couldn't be happier!

Just a little suggestion, if you like it too, slip Gary a couple bucks to take his kids out for ice cream!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Sammy2

Post#1570 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:07 am

PeteS457 wrote:OK. That makes sense now that I know what goes into a MXF file. I had my number of days to download set to 21 so that's why it was taking so long. If I copy the files you indicated and run it from another directory with it fetching only one days' guide info, it will run quicker and I assume automatically load it into the guide from there for testing purposes. When I get the logos like I want, I can remove the directory and run Save&Execute from the original directory to restore the 21 day guide info and it will run as a scheduled task overnight to keep it up to date. If this is incorrect, please correct me. Thanks very much.

I would note that you need to copy the logo into the production epg123\logos folder. If you don't, then the logo will revert back to a previous logo that is there.
garyan2

- Gary

Post#1571 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:28 am

garyan2, can you add an option to center the logos in the tweak section?
swinn

Post#1572 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:20 pm

swinn wrote:garyan2, can you add an option to center the logos in the tweak section?

Done... next update.
garyan2

- Gary

Post#1573 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:27 pm

garyan2 wrote:Done... next update.

:D Can you make it so we can update only the icons without having to perform "Save and Execute" after we create custom icons to drop in the "logos" folder?

Obligatory -> Pretty Please?

PS - If this is already possible, please disregard.
StinkyImp

Post#1574 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:14 am

StinkyImp wrote:
garyan2 wrote:Done... next update.

:D Can you make it so we can update only the icons without having to perform "Save and Execute" after we create custom icons to drop in the "logos" folder?

Obligatory -> Pretty Please?

PS - If this is already possible, please disregard.

I hate to so "no", especially with such a persuasive request! But I will say "no" for right now for the simple fact that MCL XL can do that for you and it is now Freeware! You'll be able to take your custom logos and check them out quickly with it before making it final in the .\logos folder.

http://www.mychannellogos.com/
garyan2

- Gary

Post#1575 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:08 am

garyan2 wrote:I will say "no" for right now for the simple fact that MCL XL can do that for you and it is now Freeware!
TIL, I remember seeing somewhere that TunerSalad had become freeware, but didn't know about MCL XL.

I really like that EPG123 is becoming more than just a guide updater... You're making it into the Swiss Army Knife for WMC (and for that I'm grateful)!
StinkyImp

Post#1576 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:39 pm

StinkyImp wrote:
garyan2 wrote:I will say "no" for right now for the simple fact that MCL XL can do that for you and it is now Freeware!
TIL, I remember seeing somewhere that TunerSalad had become freeware, but didn't know about MCL XL.

Me neither! Is there a way to download and archive all the logos for the different regions (which I assume are also now free) in case the website is taken down at some point in the future?
Space

Post#1577 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:49 pm

Space wrote:Me neither! Is there a way to download and archive all the logos for the different regions (which I assume are also now free) in case the website is taken down at some point in the future?

He just got the website updated last night to stay (evidently had problems) for the free download of MCL XL.

Yes, when you install MCL XL, it will download for your current region. You can the change the region in the GUI and download logos for that region (Check for logo updates button). Rinse & Repeat for all the regions and you will have all the logos in C:\ProgramData\MyChannelLogos\Logos folder.
garyan2

- Gary

Previous

Return to EPG123