Cannot get WMC to schedule recording 2018 French Open

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
DSperber

HTPC Specs: Show details

Cannot get WMC to schedule recording 2018 French Open

Post by DSperber » Sat May 19, 2018 11:23 pm

Running latest EPG123 1.1.25.

I am trying to set up a WMC series recording for the 2018 French Open starting Sunday May 27 (3AM PST), which is carried by both channel 406 (Tennis Channel) and NBC (4.1 OTA), both of which appear in my Guide sourced by SD and using EPG123. I have two SD channel lineups:

90292 Hollywood, US Time Warner Cable - Digital CA57315:X CableDigital
90292 Pomona, US Local Broadcast Listings - Antenna PC:90292 LocalBroadcast

Tennis is also carrying the "qualification" programs the previous week. NBC is airing a 12 noon - 3PM (PST) abbreviated edited highlights cover throughout the two weeks, while Tennis is carrying the live coverage and then an encore.

According to the Guide, the title for all of these programs is "2018 French Open Tennis". When I push the "record series" button on any cell shown in the Guide for NBC, the only programs that show up scheduled to record on those on NBC (4.1). None of the programs airing on Tennis Channel (406) appear on the recording schedule. There is an entry in the "series recording" list for "2018 French Open Tennis" but there are no scheduled channel 406 recordings appearing there, and the red "to be recorded" object doesn't show up in the Guide for any of the channel 406 programs.

If I change the series recording options to NBC-only, the programs on NBC still appear in the schedule. If I change the series recording options to HD Preferred, I still only show the NBC programs. If I change the series options to 406 Tennis Only, nothing appears. If I push any Guide cell for channel 406, I am offered the "cancel series" option so WMC believes there is a scheduled series recording that exists for that title. And yet, no programs on 406 show.

Even if I try a one-off single program "record" on any channel 406 airing, WMC still does not show it in the scheduled recordings list, nor does the red mark appear in the Guide!

It's as if something is invalid about all of the data for channel 406 airings of this title, causing WMC to somehow mishandle it for setting a single or series recording. WMC doesn't seem to recognize the channel 406 programs as being the same title as the NBC programs. And yet the NBC programs are shown for scheduled series recordings when I do the series scheduling using a cell from the channel 406 row in the Guide.

I have submitted an SD ticket, because I suspect the problem is something odd about the SD schedule data. We had a problem with the same French Open last year (2017) when the schedule data wrongly titled it as 2016 instead of 2017, until SD got it corrected (perhaps from their own upstream provider).

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat May 19, 2018 11:57 pm

I just tried to duplicate your issue here and everything is being scheduled to record on both 4.1 and 406. My suggestion right now would be to check the channel's sources to make sure you have at least 1 tuner selected for recordings.

settings->TV->Guide->Edit Channels, select channel 406 and click 'Edit Sources'
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Sun May 20, 2018 1:06 am

Genius!!

That is exactly what it was. I don't know how or when the "sources" for 406 had gotten unchecked, but they all had. I certainly never did that myself. Perhaps it happened (inexplicably, all by itself!) when I checked or unchecked Tennis Channel 406 on the "edit channels" list itself, as I've certainly subscribed/unsubscribed to that TWC tier (when it used to be TWC, now Spectrum) when I had/un-had interest in a particular major tournament that was carried only on Tennis.

Anyway, I have now re-checked all six (since my Ceton card has 6 tuners) boxes as "sources". And sure enough, now all of the airings on 406 have magically installed themselves in the series recording. Magic!!

Thank you for the suggestion. Though the explanation for the anomaly is now perfectly clear, having never tampered with this setting I had no prior experience as to its possible effect.

Case closed. I will tell SD what the answer was.

Thanks again.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun May 20, 2018 2:12 am

Phew... if it wasn't that, then I had no clue.

This is something that, like you said, sometimes happens when removing a channel from your lineup. I have observed this, but have never been able to force it. Hard to troubleshoot.

Gives me an idea that whenever a listing is subscribed to a channel, I should make sure all the recorders are enabled. Might be able to avoid this in the future.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io