SD Guide descriptions

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
StinkyImp

HTPC Specs: Show details

SD Guide descriptions

Post by StinkyImp » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:27 pm

I've noticed that daily when I download 14 days worth of programming, some of the episodes at the end of that time period have "generic" descriptions.

Question -> If those descriptions are updated at SD, will the new episode descriptions overwrite the generic descriptions that were downloaded previously?

The reason I ask is that some of the "Chicago" (Fire, Med, PD) recent episodes still have the generic descriptions when they're recorded... Meaning they've never had the generic description overwritten by any updated info in the previous 14 days.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:30 am

StinkyImp wrote:Question -> If those descriptions are updated at SD, will the new episode descriptions overwrite the generic descriptions that were downloaded previously?
If non-generic information is provided by SD, it should overwrite the generic description in the WMC database. Unfortunately, whether it does or not is out of my hands ... WMC goes through some logic checks to decide whether to replace the generic information with the new information.

This is why I created the [Rebuild Database] button in the client. If you find that some of the program information just isn't being updated, then a click of the button will 'fix' all that. The side effect is you will lose your recorded history so all the 'Repeat' showings that you recorded in the past will be recorded again if the series is set up that way.

Are you showing any future episodes with generic descriptions? I can cross-check it with my lineups.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:13 pm

Currently the majority of my recording schedule is being preempted by the Olympics so they won't show up in the guide until the end of the month.

Last night my guide went through 2/25 and the only show that has generic descriptions is Dr Phil on CBS. The interesting thing is that there are detailed descriptions through 2/19, and beginning with the 2/20 episode they're generic.

I verified the dates and descriptions last night before EPG123 performed its update. As usual EPG123 performed flawlessly. This morning Dr Phil still has generic descriptions beginning with the 2/20 episode and the guide goes through 2/26.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:21 am

StinkyImp wrote:Currently the majority of my recording schedule is being preempted by the Olympics so they won't show up in the guide until the end of the month.

Last night my guide went through 2/25 and the only show that has generic descriptions is Dr Phil on CBS. The interesting thing is that there are detailed descriptions through 2/19, and beginning with the 2/20 episode they're generic.

I verified the dates and descriptions last night before EPG123 performed its update. As usual EPG123 performed flawlessly. This morning Dr Phil still has generic descriptions beginning with the 2/20 episode and the guide goes through 2/26.
I checked my CBS lineup and see the Dr Phil is generic starting on 2/19. I also verified this is what Zap2it is showing on their guide as well. Either Dr Phil was a poor example, or all this generic stuff is due to uncertainty in the programming due to the Olympics.

Your Chicago XX recordings that had generic descriptions ... were they new or repeats?
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:28 pm

garyan2 wrote:Your Chicago XX recordings that had generic descriptions ... were they new or repeats?
All the Chicago's were new only. Normally I only look at the description when I open the episode to watch it. I noticed a week or so ago that one of them had a generic description and just disregarded it as a one-off. When it happened twice more it made me wonder.

Right now everything in my recording schedule has descriptions with the exception of Dr Phil. I won't be able to verify the other programming until after the end of the month when they come off their Olympic's hiatus.

Thanks for the replies!