WHS 2011 as EPG 123 Server?

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Important Information
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: http://epg123.garyan2.net <> Setup guide here: http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/epg123_Guide.pdf

WHS 2011 as EPG 123 Server?

Post#1 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:32 pm

In order to simplify setting things up, I am wondering if anyone has setup epg 123 as a client/server model using WHS 2011 as the Server. I want to do this because I am getting more PCs throughout the house, and I'm trying to simplify keeping up with all of them. Thanks.
jachin99

Post#2 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:14 pm

jachin99 wrote:In order to simplify setting things up, I am wondering if anyone has setup epg 123 as a client/server model using WHS 2011 as the Server. I want to do this because I am getting more PCs throughout the house, and I'm trying to simplify keeping up with all of them. Thanks.
That's how I do it. Just need to have the epg123 folder accessible on the network fo you clients to grab the mxf file.
garyan2

HTPC Specs: Show details
- Gary
Stomping out the Rovi disease, one media center at a time. http://epg123.garyan2.net

Post#3 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:22 pm

I've done it with Windows Server Essentials 2012 too, OP. Works fine. The only real thing I don't like (Gary) is the need to expose the whole directory on the server, including epg123.exe, to all users in order to get access to the .mxf from all clients. That could be solved by having an option to locate building the .mxf in a directory other than the program's directory. But I've mentioned that before and it works as-is as you said.
glorp

Post#4 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:19 am

glorp wrote:I've done it with Windows Server Essentials 2012 too, OP. Works fine. The only real thing I don't like (Gary) is the need to expose the whole directory on the server, including epg123.exe, to all users in order to get access to the .mxf from all clients. That could be solved by having an option to locate building the .mxf in a directory other than the program's directory. But I've mentioned that before and it works as-is as you said.

You could always edit the task to move the mxf file to your desired location.
garyan2

- Gary
Stomping out the Rovi disease, one media center at a time. http://epg123.garyan2.net

Post#5 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:32 pm

Thanks for the input, i'll give this a go at some point.
jachin99

Post#6 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:56 pm

glorp wrote:I've done it with Windows Server Essentials 2012 too, OP. Works fine. The only real thing I don't like (Gary) is the need to expose the whole directory on the server, including epg123.exe, to all users in order to get access to the .mxf from all clients. That could be solved by having an option to locate building the .mxf in a directory other than the program's directory. But I've mentioned that before and it works as-is as you said.

I'm doing this now but, make an account on the server with a user name and a password, then on the media center machine, make a account on their with the same user name and password. Set the permissions for the share as this new user name. Now the local machine will be able to access this share. You should be able to go on your WMC machine \\machine name\share and it should be able to access it if you did it correctly.

My home computers are on a domain (test location) My Media Center machine IS NOT on the domain, I use this to access domain resources and don't have a problem with it.

This is how I make shares with out opening permissions to everyone.
DavidinCT

5+ YrsTGB VeteranMicrosoft MVP
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Post#7 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:06 pm

If you don’t have a domain joined clients, then HomeGroup can muddy the water somewhat. Machines will connect to each other using the HomeGroup in preference to any local user account. In which case you can leave/disable HomeGroup and just use traditional sharing instead.
IT Troll

5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Return to EPG123