EPG123 Log Parser

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Important Information
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: http://epg123.garyan2.net <> Setup guide here: http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/epg123_Guide.pdf

Re: EPG123 Log Parser

Post#21 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:20 pm

Hi, I'm receiving this error on startup. More Error Info dialog below it.
Cheers
Attachments
Capture.JPG
duncane

HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#22 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:33 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

Would you send me your log files? I'll be better able to see where it's failing.

If you have more than one trace.log I'd like to use all of them.
StinkyImp

Post#23 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:45 pm

Hi, PM'd the trace log. The last run of EPG123 actually failed tonight which you'll see at the very bottom. This is on a test system so I wasn't too bothered and thought I'd wait to see what happens tomorrow night.
Cheers
duncane

5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#24 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:55 pm

Just looking at the error you posted above, it appears that your system tracks dates in the YYYYDDMM format and mine looks at the format as YYYYMMDD. I'll have to do some digging to see how I can overcome that.

In addition, this log parser doesn't care if EPG123 has a failure, it parses what's given to it, errors and all.

Thanks for your feedback and have a great holiday!
StinkyImp

Post#25 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:02 pm

No problem, have a good one!
Cheers
duncane

5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#26 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:58 pm

Happy New Year (almost)!

With duncane's gracious offer to become my test subject I was able to rewrite the code to handle trace.log dates in the DD/MM/YYY format. He reports back that everything appears to be working correctly!

There is one caveat... While I was happily working in the US and thinking, "Dates? Haven't they been around since ummm... forever?" and found out that even though they'd been around forever, nobody has ever standardized them!

At this point US configured (MM/DD/YYY) and most European, South America, and Australian (DD/MM/YYYY) machines should work famously. I point this out because unfortunately, all countries adhere to their own date formats, including separators. It's highly conceivable that someone could have trace.log dates in the format of YYYY-MM-DD. Currently this will not work for those situations.

So... I'll be working on that problem.

Canadians - Based on my research it appears that this will not work with your log files. If you would be willing to assist me with this I would certainly appreciate it. I couldn't have made the current changes without duncane's feedback.

In the meantime this release includes the following changes:
    1. An "Operating Guide.pdf" that will extract to the same directory as this utility and is available from within the interface.
    2. Code cleanup.
    3. Will now analyze DD/MM/YYYY formatted logs.
To reiterate...
    This utility will not affect EPG123 or it's logs. It works off copies.
    This utility is completely portable and will only write information in the folder it's placed in.
Instructions - Create a temporary (or permanent) folder in a place of your choosing and drop the "EPG123 Log Parser.zip" file in it. Change zip to exe and you're off.
StinkyImp

Post#27 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:23 pm

This may as well be a new utility. I kept the user interface and (to me) the date range selector is a must, especially when I currently have almost a year's worth of logs. It's nice to see trends in execution times, the number of days I ran certain versions, etc. I've also included additional error checking and other safeguards to assure that the actual live EPG123 log files are never harmed.

This is an entire core rewrite that actually calculates the user's date structure. The only thing is... I don't have hundreds of computers to test it on so I wrote in a user date verification dialog. If my independently calculated human readable date agrees to the extracted date from the copy of the trace.log file, then we're good to go. The user simply needs to verify it.

Date Verification.png
If there's a date mismatch, then the user can create a diagnostic report and PM it to me so I can try to replicate and then fix the error.

These are the only requirements that I've coded for:
  1. The target system uses a 4 digit year.
  2. Uses any combination, in any order, of Year, Month, and Day.
  3. Uses one of the following to separate their dates, (/) forward slash, (.) period, (-) dash, or a single blank space.
The new version also includes an "Operating Guide" that goes into more detail about the actual operation of the utility and can be opened from within the user interface. Please pay attention to the "persistent files" section. Keeping the ini and predefined terms are beneficial to subsequent executions.

The current version is 1.6.0A. In the future I'm going to post all versions and updates here.
StinkyImp

Post#28 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:26 pm

At this point my HTPC is running like a top and I intend to clone my primary once a month as disaster prevention so... I'm set for the foreseeable future and my visits here will likely diminish unless I have a problem.

I built this utility for me (just for fun) so I'll probably tinker with it as I continue to use it and see things that I'd like to change. One thing that's been nagging at me is the requirement to use 4 digit years. I'm not sure anyone uses 2 digit years anymore, but hey, someone might! Other than that the version numbers at the link above will increment based on changes. Sometimes (like the most recent) are simply cosmetic changes...

Quick note about "Everything" - I was debugging and thought, "What if I wanted to see everything that happened last Saturday or some other date in the past?" so I added "Everything" to the Predefined list that would generate a report for everything that happened for a date (or range) of the user's choosing. Right now I have 11 months of log files and that's a LOT of data.

In the meantime I'm keeping this an "ALPHA" release simply because I don't have enough feedback to make a determination otherwise. ;) Since I won't be visiting much, the best way to submit bug reports would be via the email link in my profile.

Many thanks :clap: to garyan2, duncane, and Scallica for all their patience and assistance with this silly project!
StinkyImp

Previous

Return to EPG123