Wake Checkbox Question

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Alan G

HTPC Specs: Show details

Wake Checkbox Question

Post by Alan G » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:18 pm

Gary, I have a question about leaving the Wake checkbox unchecked. I have a weird issue I'm trying to trouble shoot with the HTPC getting stuck in sleep mode and not waking up. I want to reduce the number of times the unit wakes up. If I do not have the schedule update taking place in the middle of the night but rather when I manually bring the PC out of sleep what activities can take place while the schedule update is running. Can I watch television or a recorded program? I seem to remember that if a recording is in progress EPG123 won't run. Just need some clarification.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:32 pm

EPG123 will do the downloads and update the mxf file regardless of what WMC is doing. When it goes to perform the import, if there is a recording in progress, it will wait for up to 5 hours for recordings to stop before it will execute. Only an active recording will delay EPG123 from completing the update task.

So worst case, if your computer woke up to start recording(s) and doesn't stop for more than 5 hours, then your guide will not be updated that day unless there is manual intervention.

Another option would be to change the task for the import to include the -f option which will force the import even if you are recording something. (epg123Client.exe -i epg123.mxf -f)
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Alan G

Post by Alan G » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:28 pm

I don't record all that many shows and I don't usually watch television every day. Right now I have EPG123 set to retrieve 21 days worth of data which is perfect for my needs. I want to reconfigure the task so that when bring the HTPC out of sleep manually to watch a recording or television that EPG123 will do the update. If I leave the Wake unchecked there is no time listed so my question is say I have a guide that was fully populated on Monday and then two days later, Wednesday, I want to watch television. The guide is two days out of date, will EPG123 automatically now go through the update process?

I hope this is a little more clear as not coming out of sleep troubleshooting is hard to do. I know I can manually update the guide but I wonder if the step I outlined above would suffice.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:39 pm

Ah, the answer is yes. When you wake the station 2 days later, the Task Scheduler will recognize that EPG123 missed an update and will initiate one sometime after the computer is done waking up. I will verify, but that is the way it is supposed to work (hint: you can look over the task properties in the Task Scheduler, in the Settings tab there should be a check box next to "Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed")
- Gary

Alan G

Post by Alan G » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:59 pm

garyan2 wrote:Ah, the answer is yes. When you wake the station 2 days later, the Task Scheduler will recognize that EPG123 missed an update and will initiate one sometime after the computer is done waking up. I will verify, but that is the way it is supposed to work (hint: you can look over the task properties in the Task Scheduler, in the Settings tab there should be a check box next to "Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed")
That's what I figured. The only thing that concerns me is that it won't let me enter a time for the task to run if the Wake box is left unchecked. I've tried to set a start time of 7:30 and then click the save button and exit EPG123. However, when I reopen the program to double check the setting it reverts to 00:00.

EDIT: Do I need to click the "Save & Execute" button rather than just the save button?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:24 pm

I take it you are running Win10?

In order to see the task settings and status in the GUI, you need to run the GUI with elevated rights. I had to do this for Win10 in order to work around a MS screw up with the Anniversary Update last year.

EDIT: Maybe I should read closer... You have to create the task to commit the time. A Save or Save & Execute do nothing for the task. If you want to change the time, you will have to delete the current task to create a new task with a new time.
- Gary

Alan G

Post by Alan G » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:29 am

garyan2 wrote:I take it you are running Win10?

In order to see the task settings and status in the GUI, you need to run the GUI with elevated rights. I had to do this for Win10 in order to work around a MS screw up with the Anniversary Update last year.

EDIT: Maybe I should read closer... You have to create the task to commit the time. A Save or Save & Execute do nothing for the task. If you want to change the time, you will have to delete the current task to create a new task with a new time.
I'm running Win7 & Version 1.1.17 of EPG123. I'm using the Full Mode and the Configuration GUI. I just went through the create process again and it worked fine. It's now set up to download the schedule in the morning without the wake option. I'm hoping that this solves the issue I've been having and it certainly addresses my needs. I'll let you know if there are any issues going forward. Again, thanks for the effort you have put into this.