EPG123 download schedule?

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
dojo

HTPC Specs: Show details

EPG123 download schedule?

Post by dojo » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:09 pm

My epg 123 only downloads for the 30 days at a time, how can I change that so it will download shows continuesly, not just 30 days in advance.

thanks for the help

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:03 am

Not sure what you mean. If you configure EPG123 to download 21 days, it will get you 21 days of guide data to include the "current" day. If you create a scheduled task, then it will get you 21 days to include, and starting from, the day the task runs.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

dojo

Post by dojo » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:04 pm

Hey Gary, your program is great, what i meant is it downloads 30 days, when the 30 days are up, i have to go the the EPG123 and have it download the next 30 days, is 30 days the maximum or can you get indefinite? that way i do not have to go there each 30 days and reset it?

thanks again

Old John

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:02 pm

If you create a scheduled task, then it will get you 30 days to include, and starting from, the day the task runs.

dojo

Post by dojo » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:28 am

Adam, then how can i get it to download new items in the guide without reloading the 30 day?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:56 am

John, you need to set up a scheduled task so that it will update everyday. You'll want the Full Mode task on page 8 of the guide.
Task.PNG
Task.PNG (6.59 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

dojo

Post by dojo » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:06 pm

thanks Gary,, will give it a try,,,,,,,to see if i did it correctly, have a great day

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:18 am

dojo wrote:then how can i get it to download new items in the guide without reloading the 30 day?
just to butt in...My understanding is that it will download the entire guide from schedules direct, since that has no idea of what you have in the guide at home. But it's smart enough (ie. WMC) when actually processing the guide to update things, etc. and extend the guide. For example, I notice that sometimes the upcomming shows a few weeks out have a generic description of the content (like american pickers) that gets updated when it gets closer to the actual run date.

WMC does this as well when talking to the Microsoft servers for guide data, but as all of us who use EPG know, it is much better at getting content from SD than MS is in getting the Rovio stuff... 8-)

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:31 am

Actually, I believe it works like this. It checks schedules direct for listings in the period from update run time to the limit you have set and anything not already downloaded and in the cache gets downloaded. Then an mxf file is generated for the entire update period and the loadmxf will add any new data into the EPG database. I'm sure Gary will correct me if I have this wrong. :)

Space

Post by Space » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:50 am

If your cache folder is empty, then EPG123 will download the entire guide from SD (up to the number of days you have specified, unless a particular channel does not have data that far in advance, then it only downloads what it has). If your cache folder contains data, then it will only download data that is not already in the cache, or data that has changed from what is in the cache (it uses hashes to determine if something has changed).

After the update from SD is complete, the cache folder should contain the complete and up-to-date guide.

Then EPG123 takes all that data from the cache and generates an MXF file that can be used by WMC. This MXF file contains the COMPLETE guide (not just updates since last time), same as what is in the cache folder.

After the MXF file is created, EPG123 uses a tool provided with WMC (LoadMXF.exe) to have it load the MXF file in to the WMC database.

This tool is responsible for making sure anything that is not in the WMC database is added from the MXF file, as well as any data that IS in the database but has changed is also updated. So essentially it is comparing what it already has in the WMC database to what is in the MXF file and is only making changes to the WMC database for things that have changed. Anything that has not changed should not be touched.

Note that there ARE bugs in LoadMXF.exe that can cause some data in the database to not be updated correctly even though the MXF file may be 100% correct.

dojo

Post by dojo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:40 am

I am getting Comcast cable and will not be using my outside antenna , how do I program or set up the EG123 to down load the cable stations for my Microsoft media center guide.

thanks in advance

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:58 am

dojo wrote:I am getting Comcast cable and will not be using my outside antenna , how do I program or set up the EG123 to down load the cable stations for my Microsoft media center guide.

thanks in advance
Start here, Watch the video and download and read the .PDF installation/User Guide. http://epg123.garyan2.net/?page_id=503
It's pretty straight forward. If you have problems/questions just start a new thread asking for help with any issues.
I have mine working with Comcast/CableCard.. works perfect.
newfiend~

dojo

Post by dojo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:46 pm

thank you, Thursday I get cable and will give it a try.

again thanks