Transfer Tool Suggestions

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
amarkowi

HTPC Specs: Show details

Transfer Tool Suggestions

Post by amarkowi » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:49 pm

After getting EPG123 setup correctly, I transferred close to 100 scheduled recordings, a few at a time, over a period of about a week. When using the transfer tool in multiple sessions, the following enhancements would be helpful.

Add a button to clear all checkmarks. It’s tedious to pre-clear everything when you are constantly re-launching.

Add a button to checkmark all green items.

Manually match a pink item and schedule it. Then exit and re-launch the transfer tool. After opening the recordings backup file, the item appears on the left in pink, and on the right in green, with the same name. Suggest adding a button to hide the pink duplicates.

Consider a search box as alternative input to the Manual Match & Convert process. This would greatly expand the functionality of the Transfer Tool, allowing you to schedule series that the TVDB and SD know about, but there is currently no guide data for.

garyan2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by garyan2 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:41 pm

amarkowi wrote:After getting EPG123 setup correctly, I transferred close to 100 scheduled recordings, a few at a time, over a period of about a week. When using the transfer tool in multiple sessions, the following enhancements would be helpful.
Keep in mind that the tool is meant to be of limited use to aid in the transfer of recording requests. Ideally you would only need to use the tool once to complete most if not all of the transfers. Once the transfer(s) are complete, the tool can be forgotten and disposed of.
amarkowi wrote:Add a button to clear all checkmarks. It’s tedious to pre-clear everything when you are constantly re-launching.

Add a button to checkmark all green items.
I've never liked how the checkbox handling worked out in the code. I'll certainly revisit that, but for now it is functional. Note an easy way to check/clear all is to select your first green item, shift-select the last green item, and push the space bar to toggle the states. Like I said, never liked how this worked out.
amarkowi wrote:Manually match a pink item and schedule it. Then exit and re-launch the transfer tool. After opening the recordings backup file, the item appears on the left in pink, and on the right in green, with the same name. Suggest adding a button to hide the pink duplicates.
The tool has no way of knowing the pink series on the left already exists on the right. If you manually match the one on the left again, then the tool will see they are the same and remove it from the left.
amarkowi wrote:Consider a search box as alternative input to the Manual Match & Convert process. This would greatly expand the functionality of the Transfer Tool, allowing you to schedule series that the TVDB and SD know about, but there is currently no guide data for.
This probably will never happen. What the tool is doing is taking an existing Rovi recording request and changes the series ID to a Gracenote ID. All the other settings (channel number, HD preference, pre-padding, post-padding, etc...) stay unchanged. What you are suggesting is searching TheTVDB to get the Gracenote ID and create a recording request from scratch. That is definitely scope creep for a simple transfer tool.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io