Couple of Questions before setting it up

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
bomberjim

HTPC Specs: Show details

Couple of Questions before setting it up

Post by bomberjim » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:03 pm

Since I'm really fed up with Microsoft and Rovi, I'm strongly considering installing EPG 123. I've read the installation instructions, but have a couple of questions.

1. I use Recorded Tv HD as my front end. Anybody know if it's compatible?? If it is, should I uninstall it before setting up EPG 123?

2. Can EPG 123 be installed anywhere else but the boot ( C: ) drive? I know its a small program but my 64GB SSD is kind of tight for space.

3. Can you set up more than one update task, or is this extreme overkill or a problem for Schedules Direct?

Thanks in advance, and I really appreciate the efforts of the author and all the folks on this forum.

Jim L

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:17 pm

bomberjim wrote:1. I use Recorded Tv HD as my front end. Anybody know if it's compatible?? If it is, should I uninstall it before setting up EPG 123?
EPG123 only provides guide information. There is no compatibility issue between it and Recorded TV HD.
bomberjim wrote:2. Can EPG 123 be installed anywhere else but the boot ( C: ) drive? I know its a small program but my 64GB SSD is kind of tight for space.
Yes, it can be installed anywhere else. I don't recommend installing in to the Program Files folders due to additional work needed for permission issues.
bomberjim wrote:3. Can you set up more than one update task, or is this extreme overkill or a problem for Schedules Direct?
You can. Schedules Direct currently does their updates 4X per day, so anything more than that would be overkill. EPG123 does a pretty good job on keeping the network traffic low by using cached files so there will no significant increase of load on their servers.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

DaveInPa

Post by DaveInPa » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:14 am

bomberjim wrote:Since I'm really fed up with Microsoft and Rovi, I'm strongly considering installing EPG 123. I've read the installation instructions, but have a couple of questions.

1. I use Recorded Tv HD as my front end. Anybody know if it's compatible?? If it is, should I uninstall it before setting up EPG 123?

2. Can EPG 123 be installed anywhere else but the boot ( C: ) drive? I know its a small program but my 64GB SSD is kind of tight for space.

3. Can you set up more than one update task, or is this extreme overkill or a problem for Schedules Direct?

Thanks in advance, and I really appreciate the efforts of the author and all the folks on this forum.

Jim L
1. I use Recorded TVHD and it all plays together well. It doesn't matter which order you install them.

2. I also have a small SSD for drive C and put EPG123 on drive E

3. I update twice a day. No problem with overloading the Schedules Direct servers since EPG123 caches what is already in the guide. You only get changes and new guide data.