A few issues switching to EPG123

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Zumaone

HTPC Specs: Show details

A few issues switching to EPG123

Post by Zumaone » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:31 pm

Hello, Finally got tired of the guide issues with MS/Rovi and ran into the three following issues I hope someone can help with:

1. During EPG123 initial setup, you select your area and it lists guides available for your area. On this list, it says double click to select or right click to preview. Right clicking for me caused a popup with crashes.

2. When I tried to pull up Guide tool it connects and then fails with an error that says "Failed to get WMIS lineups. No active region found." Not sure what is causing this yet.

3. Going into the guide listings within WMC reveals that it is showing 10004 channels. Of course we don't have that many channels, and previously with the MS/Rovi guide it was no where near that, It was several hundred. What is odd, it lists every single channel number from 2-10004. The ones that have an actual channel on them are checked and have a channel name. The ones that have no channel name are empty and unchecked. I have never seen this type of behavior before in WMC.

Appreciate any ideas and suggestions.

webminster

Post by webminster » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:42 pm

I know the preview capability is new, maybe there's a bug there. Can you get through setup without using the preview?

Have you set up automatch on epg123? That should deselect the channel numbers not in the lineup so they don't show up in the guide.
-Alan

Zumaone

Post by Zumaone » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:54 pm

Hi, Yes I was able to complete the setup without using preview. Yes, automatch is on and they don't show in the channel guide, but they do show up when you go in to disable channels. It seems to bog down WMC a bit and I wondered if that's what was causing guidetool no to work?

webminster

Post by webminster » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:12 pm

That's normal. You get the 10000 channels due to WMC just enabling everything, since the guide TOS was refused. They do show in Edit Channels, so you can turn them on/off. They don't "bog down" normal usage of WMC guide for me, perhaps yoiu're seeing a little slowness due to indexing after loading the guide.. ?

Not sure about the guide tool issue, what version are you running?
-Alan

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:50 pm

1. I am asking Schedules Direct to provide the capability for any subscriber to preview the lineups without actually being subscribed to the lineup in their account. When I developed the code, I wasn't aware that I, as a developer, had permission to do that but not a typical user. The right-click and error prompt is for the most part expected right now ... and might disappear.

2. What version of Guide Tool? Version 1.2.4 will not work, which looks to me to be the version you are using with that error message. You need at least 1.2.5 which can be downloaded from the epg123 download page.

3. 10000 channels is expected for digital cable and satellite tuners. Since we decline the program TOS and blocking out MS/Rovi for guide information, WMC will give you every possible channel ... 2 thru 9999. The automatch by EPG123 will marry the channel with the station listing if available, and disable any channel that does not have a station assigned to it.

The 10000 channels does slow the WMC GUI when going to edit channels, but so far has proven not an issue otherwise. You can use the client GUI to permanently delete channels to reduce that number, but if your provider decides to add or move channels to one of the deleted ones, you will have to either perform setup again, or add the channel manually.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Zumaone

Post by Zumaone » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:16 pm

Gary, thank you for clearing all that up. That helped a lot. I did update to one of the newer versions of Guide Tool and it now does load. Doesn't show channel guide information, but I am guessing that is because it isn't seeing the MS/Rovi guide info anymore?

Appreciate your help. I am going to subscribe to SD and send a donation to you. Thank you!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:37 pm

It should be showing the EPG123 lineup just like my client does. For some folks, it doesn't show any lineups and I'm not sure why ... there is something about the database that Guide Tool doesn't like. Some background here (viewtopic.php?f=99&t=10395&hilit=guide+tool)

You still have the tuner channels on the left, correct?
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Zumaone

Post by Zumaone » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:25 am

Yes, I have the tuner channels on the left.