Guide and Schedule Recovery

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Important Information
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: http://epg123.garyan2.net <> Setup guide here: http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/epg123_Guide.pdf

Re: Guide and Schedule Recovery

Post#41 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:56 pm

Just a quick couple of updates on this issue.

I'm probably going to jinx it by saying this, but 3 months on and I have not experienced a recovery since disabling Media Center data updates in the GUI and the mcupdate_scheduled task in the Task Scheduler. I'm coming to the conclusion that the Media Center update task was occasionally seeing something it didn't like about EPG123 guide and so was triggering a recovery on next exit. Prior to migrating to EPG123, I ran Media Center for 9 years (XP, Vista, 7 & 8) without experiencing a single recovery, so I think the probability of a link is high. If other EPG123 users are experiencing guide recovery I'd be interested to hear if disabling these tasks helps to improve things.

I have now confirmed that for DVB-T, new/updated channel discovery within Media Center is triggered through DVB channel announcement data within the broadcast. All I have to do is watch live TV within Media Center on a channel I don't commonly watch and this will instantly trigger the addition of any new or updated channels. I have all the in-band/background/opportunistic scanning options disabled and so I don't think this behaviour can be disabled in Media Center. As it stands, I periodically have to edit my guide to hide any unwanted channels. In TV Headend PVR this is called Network Discovery and can be toggled on/off.
IT Troll

HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#42 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:19 pm

On the second point it would be great if EPG123 had an option to automatically untick any channel which isn’t subscribed to a listing. This “Autodisable” feature would kind of be the opposite to “Automatch”. Instead of matching up and enabling new channels, it would effectively lock the guide from further channel additions unless explicitly subscribed by the user.
IT Troll

5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#43 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:14 am

IT Troll wrote:On the second point it would be great if EPG123 had an option to automatically untick any channel which isn’t subscribed to a listing. This “Autodisable” feature would kind of be the opposite to “Automatch”. Instead of matching up and enabling new channels, it would effectively lock the guide from further channel additions unless explicitly subscribed by the user.

Interestingly enough, the automatch disables those channels that do not have guide listings. So you can run with automatch enabled, autoadd disabled, and any new channel added that you don't have listings for in the download will be disabled on next update.
garyan2

- Gary
Stomping out the Rovi disease, one media center at a time. http://epg123.garyan2.net

Post#44 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:17 pm

Thanks, I guess I'm a little nervous of ticking the Automatch box, in the early days it could be a little unpredictable, but I think you have put some safeguard logic in place since then.

One possible issue with Automatch is then when you download a lineup it can be associated with more than one channel. I guess Automatch would then enable all matching instances of that channel when perhaps not all are required/desired.

Just to check, when you say autoadd do you mean the ‘Automatically download new stations in lineups’ option?
IT Troll

5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#45 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:28 pm

IT Troll wrote:One possible issue with Automatch is then when you download a lineup it can be associated with more than one channel. I guess Automatch would then enable all matching instances of that channel when perhaps not all are required/desired.

It will only enable the channels on the initial match. On consecutive "automatch" runs, it will respect the enable/disable state of the channel as long as it is still associated with the listing. So if it matches to another channel that is not required/desired, just disable it from guide view and it will stay disabled.

IT Troll wrote:Just to check, when you say autoadd do you mean the ‘Automatically download new stations in lineups’ option?

Correct.
garyan2

- Gary
Stomping out the Rovi disease, one media center at a time. http://epg123.garyan2.net

Post#46 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:53 pm

OK, thanks, I'll take it for a spin.
IT Troll

5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#47 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:28 pm

Well it seems to be working exactly as you described. :D

I viewed a channel that I knew would cause a network discovery and this added and enabled an unwanted channel. I then enabled Automatch and ran the task. EPG123 disabled the unwanted discovered channel (without a line up) but then did match and enable another matching channel instance of the type I described (with a line up). I manually disabled this channel and re-ran the task and this time it remained disabled.

What does EPG123 use to track this state? It looks like epg123.cfg lists the call signs and the disabled ones have a a minus prefix on the the ID number. In the scenario I described, the call sign is the same, it is just available on two different channels. So it only has one entry in my config file based on the call sign.
IT Troll

5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#48 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:17 am

IT Troll wrote:What does EPG123 use to track this state? It looks like epg123.cfg lists the call signs and the disabled ones have a a minus prefix on the the ID number. In the scenario I described, the call sign is the same, it is just available on two different channels. So it only has one entry in my config file based on the call sign.

It doesn't track it at all. The automatch routine is not as aggressive as it was initially, which wasn't too aggressive to begin with.

Automatch will only enable a channel in the guide if it makes a match ... meaning if the channel has NO listings currently attached and your downloaded lineup has a station on that channel number.
Automatch will disable any channel that does not have a listing attached to it, so if you remove a channel from your downloaded lineup the channel(s) it was assigned to will be disabled in the guide.
garyan2

- Gary

Post#49 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:03 pm

The odd scenario I am talking about is when a listing matches two channels in a lineup. I have two such cases in my lineup. One of them, for example:

250 BBCRDB1 :thumbdown:
601 BBCRDB1 :thumbup:

When I choose to download 601, 250 is also automatically selected for download because it shares the same call sign. Which with Automatch enabled then resulted in:

[ INFO] Matching BBCRDB1 to channel 250

I then disabled 250. How does it know not to enabled 250 again? Is it because it now has a listing attached but is disabled?
IT Troll

5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#50 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:14 pm

IT Troll wrote:Is it because it now has a listing attached but is disabled?

Correct. The automatch routine will only enable a channel in the guide if a match is made and there is no listing currently attached. Otherwise, it leaves the channel alone to include the enable/disable state.
garyan2

- Gary

Post#51 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:10 pm

Great stuff, thanks for the explanation. This should finally give me the stable guide channel list which is otherwise impossible in Media Center due to channel announcement / network discovery. :D
IT Troll

5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#52 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:04 am

I noticed last night that a handful of unwanted trash channels had been discovered and added to the guide. This morning (after EPG123 had done it’s thing) they have been removed, restoring my curated lineup. Woohoo! A maintenance-free guide for the first time.
IT Troll

5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#53 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:35 am

IT Troll wrote:I noticed last night that a handful of unwanted trash channels had been discovered and added to the guide. This morning (after EPG123 had done it’s thing) they have been removed, restoring my curated lineup. Woohoo! A maintenance-free guide for the first time.

Awesome. :thumbup:
garyan2

- Gary

Previous

Return to EPG123