Guide Tool and EPG123

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
StinkyImp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by StinkyImp » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:37 pm

For me the Super Simple (K.I.S.S.) solution is to use Fred's installer and then just "Copy and Replace" Fred's GuideTool.exe in the Program Files directory with Dan's. ;)

DanITman

Post by DanITman » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:02 am

I spent about 40 min trying to determine if the setup files could be recompiled and it doesn't look that simple. We'll just have to stick to replacing it with the hacked exe for now.

meq123

Post by meq123 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:41 pm

Old thread, I know, but I'm in the boat where all my ClearQAM channels (Verizon Fios) have 4 digit or larger sub-channel numbers. For example, Fox 5 HD (normal channel 5.1) comes in on ch 69.1006 and WMC cannot recognize anything above .999 So my HDHomeRun (ClearQAM) dual-tuner is just a paperweight.

After searching google, it seems the only workaround is to use the Guide Tool program to manually maps those channels, but I cannot find it anywhere. The various links in this threads have all disappeared. CAN ANYONE HELP? Please point me to somewhere I can download it - or an alternative workaround?

Thanks!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:51 pm

The EPG123 client should be able to handle it. You can download the portable version from http://epg123.garyan2.net/download/. You just need to run epg123Client.exe to show the form and it will display all your tuner channels and conveniently enough have a padlock symbol on any encrypted channels you may have on the left side. On the right side will be all you guide listings and lineups.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

meq123

Post by meq123 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:18 pm

garyan2 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:51 pm The EPG123 client should be able to handle it. You can download the portable version from http://epg123.garyan2.net/download/. You just need to run epg123Client.exe to show the form and it will display all your tuner channels and conveniently enough have a padlock symbol on any encrypted channels you may have on the left side. On the right side will be all you guide listings and lineups.
I'm running EPG123 already, but the Clear-QAM channels I want don't show up there because (I assume) the WMC scan cannot 'see' any sub-channel greater than .999. I tried to add the missing channels in the client, but I can still only enter up to three digits for the sub-channel there too. If I enter "69.1006" per my example, the EPG123 client automatically 'corrects' it down to "69.999". The screenshot below shows the missing channels on the left in the HDHomeRun setup window, and the result of me trying to add one in the client 'Add' window.

Somehow I need to convert or map those 4-digit sub-channel numbers to 3 digit ones - which is what I understand the Guide Tool will let me do. Unless, again, I can do this some other way and I'm just grabbing the wrong end of the stick. :)
Channels.gif

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:23 pm

Ah, okay. EPG123 will query WMC on what the allowed minimum and maximum values can be based on the tuner type. By your description it is WMC that limits it to 0-999, but your provider uses >999 values. I do have a copy of Guide Tool, if it worked in the past, that I can put on my server. I'll send you the link once I get it there.

If you are game, I could override that maximum in the client for ClearQAM and send you an updated version to see if that works.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:34 pm

Just sent you an email with links to the client with override, and 2 versions of Guide Tool.
- Gary

meq123

Post by meq123 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:39 pm

Cool! Thank you SOOO much! I'll try them all and let you know.

Have a Happy New Year!

meq123

Post by meq123 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:52 pm

@Garyan2, you are a STAR!

Your extended sub-channel mod to the client was all I needed to be able to add (and now watch) my clearQAM channels with the long numbers! I didn't even need to touch the Guide Tool programs.

For anyone else with these issues, these were the steps I followed using the updated EPG123 client:
  • Click the Add Channel [+] icon at the top right of the left hand (Guide Channels) pane, then enter the station call sign, channel and sub-channel and Modulation Type (repeat for all channels to add)
  • Re-open the EPG123 Client (if reqd), then for each added channel, select the relevant guide channel on the right hand (Lineup) pane, then select new channel on the left hand (Guide Channels) pane and choose "Subscribe".
  • Right-click on the same added channel on the left and select "Renumber" to modify to the appropriate guide display channel number.
Like magic, once you re-open WMC, the added channels show up with guide info and are selectable/watchable. YAY!

Thanks again for this incredibly useful piece of software.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:56 pm

I guess that will now be a permanent change to the software to override the maximum subchannel number of ClearQAM channels.

Thanks.
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:05 pm

Wow! Good work Gary. Adding new features even at this busy time...

meq123

Post by meq123 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:52 pm

garyan2 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:56 pm I guess that will now be a permanent change to the software to override the maximum subchannel number of ClearQAM channels.

Thanks.
Ahh - found a bug in the new client (or maybe just version issue, since I'm running v1.3.3.40?) When I try to execute TweakWMC, whether or not I actually change anything, when I click [Update] I get the error below. This error does NOT occur if I use the un-modified client that came with 1.3.3.40:

error.gif
error.gif (9.14 KiB) Viewed 547 times

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:36 pm

This one has been elusive. Definitely good info that previous "unmodified" version does not do this, but that is crazy. This behavior is repeatable? Unmodified == works; modified == no worky? All I did for the modified version was change a line in the Add Channel form, nothing to do with the Tweak WMC form.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:20 pm

^nevermind. I was trying to troubleshoot this elusive error that some folks are getting... and I know how to make it happen. So I had that code still in the modified version when I sent it to you. For the modified version, it is expected to get that error when trying to tweak the guide.

dangit.
- Gary

themoneymanap

Post by themoneymanap » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:32 pm

garyan2 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:34 pm Just sent you an email with links to the client with override, and 2 versions of Guide Tool.
Hi @Garyan2

I have a similar issue to meq123 but I can't seem to fix it with the epg123 client. The main issue is that I have a physical channel 26 listed on HDHomerun, but within that channel it has different sub-channels (CH26-5 and CH26-8) with the same guide number (26.3). When I try to add the new channel through the epg123 client, I tried using 26-8 (shown in the picture), and also 26-6 (relative 6th substream), and neither result in WMC being able to see the channel. The only channels that will work are 26-1, 26-2, 26-3, and 26-4. It seems like WMC uses the virtual channel 26.3 to get the stream from HDHomerun and then HDHomerun gives back the first stream for virtual channel 26.3. I'm not sure if this is an issue with HDHomeRun, WMC, or epg123. Any suggestions. Is this something I can fix in GuideToool?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 11.22.25 AM.png

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:06 am

Changing the virtual channel isn't going to do anything for you. I would say this problem originates from the broadcaster to have 2 separate subchannels with the same virtual channel numbers.

When you perform a scan in WMC, does it pick up both? If you edit the channel for 26.3 and view the sources, is it doubled up? There is nothing I have seen that I can do about it. The tuning in WMC OTA is the physical channel only and then it finds the virtual channel in the stream. There is no subchannel option in the tuning infos for the physical channel. Confused the heck out of me for awhile, but this is how it works. The subchannels I put in the client are really arbitrary and I just use the virtual channel subchannel number to represent the physical channel subchannel... most of the times that is correct.
- Gary

themoneymanap

Post by themoneymanap » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:42 pm

I had to manually add these channels in WMC since the scan didn't pick them up, but no I don't see doubled up sources, just one per tuner like all the other channels. So if I'm understanding correctly. WMC just uses the number guide number to determine what virtual channel to request from the HDHomeRun. So in this case the 3rd virtual channel of physical channel 26. Or does it just ask for 26.3 from the HDHomerun and it figures out what to send back? I'm curious if the rtp stream is stored in the registry or the database so I can hack it somehow. I see in the HDHomeRun config the different 26.3 channels have distinct rtp addresses. I did try to change 26.3 to 26.6 in the C:\ProgramData\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\Digital Antenna.xml file and then add 26.6 in WMC, and while it updated it in the HDHomeRun setup, WMC still couldn't tune to it.