v1.1.5 Release

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
garyan2

HTPC Specs: Show details

v1.1.5 Release

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:23 pm

I let v1.1.5 into the wild this morning. A lot of behind the scenes work in support of future growth in an all in one package.
  • [growth] Created installation package for future updates and upgrades
  • [growth] Revamped the trace and event logging for better support of multiple programs. Now have 2 sources in Event Viewer (EPG123 and EPG123Client) with Event IDs 0:SUCCESS, 0xBAD1:Warning, 0xDEAD:Error
  • [enhancement] Removed all console windows and now use progress windows to monitor updates and imports
  • [enhancement] No longer deletes the ehome folder during Step 1. Instead deletes contents of folder to allow for symbolic links or junctions to the ehome folder if desired. Same is true for the cache folder (no change)
  • [enhancement] Improved grab of movie images from Schedules Direct for Video-On-Demand and straight-to-video movies
  • [fix] Configuration GUI would not allow changing Schedules Direct password and would fail to login
  • [fix] There was a copy/paste error in determining series images (minor). Thanks NNate!
  • [fix] Found case where epg123Client would crash if failed to open the WMC database
http://epg123.garyan2.net
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

glorp

Post by glorp » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:09 pm

garyan2 wrote:
Would you also be willing to continue providing portable zip versions as well?

12noon

Post by 12noon » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:11 pm

glorp wrote:
garyan2 wrote:
Would you also be willing to continue providing portable zip versions as well?
Seconded. :)
USA 60005
WOW Chicago Suburbs - Digital
USA-IL58819-X

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:21 pm

If we're upgrading from 1.1.4, do we just run the installer and that's it? Will it keep previous settings?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:27 pm

I still haven't' made the time to go from V1.0.2 to v1.1.4. What's the upgrade path in this instance?

ViperJohn

Post by ViperJohn » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:33 pm

By chance is there a commandline switch that will still allow the command window to show??? The verbatim running text display really helped me overcome my upgrade issues. Just curious.

Viper

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:48 pm

glorp wrote:Would you also be willing to continue providing portable zip versions as well?
I figured this would come up, just want to see how much demand there is. Yes, I can of course still do a portable package ... but it means I will now have an installation package, a portable Win7 package, a portable Win8+ package, and possibly an upgrade/utility package (could probably incorp into portables). I can easily set up a script to build these automatically for me.
RyC wrote:If we're upgrading from 1.1.4, do we just run the installer and that's it? Will it keep previous settings?
If you direct the installation to your current epg123 folder, then it will be the same as copying over the files as previous upgrades. No changes to any configurations or scheduled tasks needed.
Sammy2 wrote:I still haven't' made the time to go from V1.0.2 to v1.1.4. What's the upgrade path in this instance?
Same as you are facing right now with 1.0.2 to 1.1.4. In this case, the utility is provided in the install package as well with instructions so you don't have to go searching for it. Run the install, select the utility to install as well, follow the utility readme, delete your scheduled task and create a new one.
ViperJohn wrote:By chance is there a commandline switch that will still allow the command window to show??? The verbatim running text display really helped me overcome my upgrade issues. Just curious.
The detailed information for errors will be captured in the trace.log file as well as the Event Log. One of the couple things I've incorporated based on your experience was to abort update if there are 0 stations queued for download (all lineups EXCLUDED). What I don't have right now is multiple pop-up windows for the immediate notification to the use of what went wrong... might work on that.

Now, I guess I'll answer your question ... right now it is "No". I'll take a look to see how easy what you are asking will be to implement.
- Gary

ViperJohn

Post by ViperJohn » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:00 pm

garyan2 wrote:
ViperJohn wrote:By chance is there a commandline switch that will still allow the command window to show??? The verbatim running text display really helped me overcome my upgrade issues. Just curious.
The detailed information for errors will be captured in the trace.log file as well as the Event Log. One of the couple things I've incorporated based on your experience was to abort update if there are 0 stations queued for download (all lineups EXCLUDED). What I don't have right now is multiple pop-up windows for the immediate notification to the use of what went wrong... might work on that.

Now, I guess I'll answer your question ... right now it is "No". I'll take a look to see how easy what you are asking will be to implement.
The progress indicators are working great when using "Save and Execute" from the EPG123.exe GUI
BUT
When you run the executable commandline ?:\Epg123\Epg123.exe -update there is no indication of any kind the command was executing / executed at all. The command appeared to just be exiting out immediately. I initially thought the command was outright failing to execute until I it with the Windows Task Manager - Processes window open and could see EPD123.exe come and go there. The trace log also indicated successful update. Can you give EPG123.exe a -P switch to force the Progress Bar like EPG123client.exe has???

Since the running verbatim results of the commands are in the trace.log there would be no real need to have them show in a command window (well it would save a couple post command run mouse clicks but big woop). A -P progress bar switch in EPG123.exe would be far better and needed enhancement.

Viper

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:07 pm

Sure... simple enough to add.
- Gary

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:01 pm

Okay. So I thought I didn't even need to run the utility but rather just drop v1.1.4 in the v1.0.2 folder.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:39 pm

I believe if you use automatch you don't need to run the utility otherwise you do. (I'm sure Gary will correct me if this is wrong) At least when I went from 1.0.2 to 1.1.4
I just kept automatch and everything worked without running the utility

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:24 pm

That is exactly what I thought. Now with an installer it will run automatch. Will there be any ill effects? I want to move forward but you know about fixing it until it is broken..

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:08 am

I was using v1.0.1 on my main system. I wanted to start clean for v1.1.5 so I renamed C:\EPG123 to C:\EPG123.old. I also deleted the scheduled task. I ran the v1.1.5 installer, loaded the GUI, set my settings and executed. My channel guide looks good, however, I noticed that the "About Channel Guide" screen still shows EPG123 v1.0.1 (v1.1.4 available).

Anything to be concerned about?
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

ViperJohn

Post by ViperJohn » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:49 am

Sammy2 wrote:Okay. So I thought I didn't even need to run the utility but rather just drop v1.1.4 in the v1.0.2 folder.
There is more to it when going from v1.0.2 to any 1.1.x version. I just went through it with a 1.0.2. to 1.1.4 upgrade and you can see it here:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 99&t=10891

Gary did tweak v1.1.5 to eliminate a couple of the traps I fell into uping to v1.1.4 but you MUST delete the old v1.0.2 generated scheduled task and recreate the scheduled task with a 1.1.x version or the command to do the import into WMC will not exist and it won't happen. It is also a lot easier if you use the Utility as well when uping from v1.0.2. Gary included the utility and doc's in the 1.1.5 package for a reason so take advantage of it.

Viper

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:15 am

I have a complete custom line up numbering system and am concerned about having that overwritten but when my database went to carp a couple of weeks ago and the numbering was a mess I was able to recover fairly quickly using GuideTool restore. My biggest issue is v1.0.2 just works and this is my daily driver on 6 scrrens in a whole home DVR and don't want to make a mess out of it.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:39 am

stuartm wrote:I believe if you use automatch you don't need to run the utility otherwise you do. (I'm sure Gary will correct me if this is wrong) At least when I went from 1.0.2 to 1.1.4
I just kept automatch and everything worked without running the utility
Sammy2 wrote:That is exactly what I thought. Now with an installer it will run automatch. Will there be any ill effects? I want to move forward but you know about fixing it until it is broken..
Sammy2 wrote:Okay. So I thought I didn't even need to run the utility but rather just drop v1.1.4 in the v1.0.2 folder.
I'm gonna back off saying that with automatch, you don't need to run the utility. Technically it is correct, but WMC sometimes seems to be the ornery sort and still manages to screw things up, ViperJohn wasn't successful with just using automatch ... it is much safer to use the utility to make the transition. Automatch by itself is not fail-safe.

The installer will not run automatch nor the utility by itself. That is all up to you.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:41 am

Scallica wrote:I was using v1.0.1 on my main system. I wanted to start clean for v1.1.5 so I renamed C:\EPG123 to C:\EPG123.old. I also deleted the scheduled task. I ran the v1.1.5 installer, loaded the GUI, set my settings and executed. My channel guide looks good, however, I noticed that the "About Channel Guide" screen still shows EPG123 v1.0.1 (v1.1.4 available).

It doesn't look like you imported anything from 1.1.5... i.e. Auto import not selected. Did you run the utility? or playing it fast and loose?
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:13 am

Sammy2 wrote:I have a complete custom line up numbering system and am concerned about having that overwritten but when my database went to carp a couple of weeks ago and the numbering was a mess I was able to recover fairly quickly using GuideTool restore. My biggest issue is v1.0.2 just works and this is my daily driver on 6 scrrens in a whole home DVR and don't want to make a mess out of it.
1. Rename epg123.mxf to epg123_old.mxf
2. Download and install v1.1.5 in same location as v1.0.2 and making sure to select the upgrade component to install as well.
3. Follow instructions in epg123UtilityReadme.pdf
  • a. Execute epg123Utility.exe
    b. Open epg123Client.exe and manually import epg123Utility.mxf
    c. Verify double channels in right panel ... if you don't see double, don't proceed.
    d. Wipe sweat off brow.
    e. Close epg123Client
5. Perform an update with v1.1.5.
6. Wipe sweat off brow.
7. Open WMC to see results.

results?
- Gary

ViperJohn

Post by ViperJohn » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:49 am

Sammy2 wrote:I have a complete custom line up numbering system and am concerned about having that overwritten but when my database went to carp a couple of weeks ago and the numbering was a mess I was able to recover fairly quickly using GuideTool restore. My biggest issue is v1.0.2 just works and this is my daily driver on 6 scrrens in a whole home DVR and don't want to make a mess out of it.
I also have custom names, etc in my WMC lineup. Using the utility that was all preserved during the ummatch/rematch process. I also did not have to delete and re-add my 7,9,11,13 VHF channels either using the utility. Using the Utility per the indtructions worked well and saved many extra steps that may need to be done if you do not use it.

In any case do yourself a favor and create a backup copy ot the whole eHome data folder ( ?:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome ) just it case before you jump in.. You can either boot into safe mode to do the copying or you can stop the Windows Media Center Receiver Service and then make the copy. The service will restart automatically when WMC needs it to.

Viper

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:15 am

garyan2 wrote:
Scallica wrote:I was using v1.0.1 on my main system. I wanted to start clean for v1.1.5 so I renamed C:\EPG123 to C:\EPG123.old. I also deleted the scheduled task. I ran the v1.1.5 installer, loaded the GUI, set my settings and executed. My channel guide looks good, however, I noticed that the "About Channel Guide" screen still shows EPG123 v1.0.1 (v1.1.4 available).

It doesn't look like you imported anything from 1.1.5... i.e. Auto import not selected. Did you run the utility? or playing it fast and loose?
No, I thought the utility wasn't necessary if you are using auto-match. I ran the utility, clicked manual import and now the "About Channel Guide" screen shows EPG123 v1.1.5!
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct