Issue with HDHomerun Prime and WMC

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
jasonmcroy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Issue with HDHomerun Prime and WMC

Post by jasonmcroy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:30 pm

So, this topic may or may not be related to epg123 specifically but the issue is preventing me from using epg123 so I thought I would start here.

A little background: I have just signed up for Cable TV and I am using an HDHomerun Prime. I had Cable TV about 6 months ago but cancelled it due to cost but they gave me a great deal this time so I went back. However, before none of my channels were DRM flagged so I always used a different DVR method. Now all but my locals are flagged so I had to roll my HTPC back to Windows 8.1 Pro so I can use WMC. I have been reading the forums and trying to educate myself on everything.

In addition to the Prime unit I also have a connect and an extend connected to my antenna.

The issue I am running into is that it seems like if I try to install epg123 and decline the terms of service on the EPG in WMC then WMC won't populate my Prime channels. It will see the tuner but not pull in any of the channels. If I accept the terms of service, it will pull in the channels but it downloads the guide data through WMC but fails to download correctly, which is the whole reason I want to use epg123 as you probably already know the guide data through WMC is crap.

Anyway, I can't figure out how to do this if WMC won't see my channels on the Prime without me accepting the guide terms of service. Any ideas?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:09 pm

When declining the ToS with cable, the tuner scan will pull in all channels ... 9999 of them and all blank. One thing to make sure, depending on your machine, is that you wait for that to complete. It can take some time to even start the tuner scan, and even longer to complete the tuner scan.

When you import epg123 guide data, which will contain you premium channels, everything will be as it should be.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

jasonmcroy

Post by jasonmcroy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:24 pm

Ok. Thanks for the quick reply!

So, after I typed my post I just went in to try and see what it would do if I ignored the two ATSC tuners to ensure the Prime is showing up correctly. Everything is working fine with the Prime by itself.

So, now I want to add the connect and the extend unit. Should I go in and restart from the beginning (fresh start on the GUI) or can I somehow add the connect and extend unit and refresh the epg?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:31 pm

No need to do a fresh start again. That is only to remove all traces of MS/Rovi. You will however need to perform the TV Setup again to add the "new" tuners.
- Gary

jasonmcroy

Post by jasonmcroy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:42 pm

garyan2 wrote:No need to do a fresh start again. That is only to remove all traces of MS/Rovi. You will however need to perform the TV Setup again to add the "new" tuners.
Awesome! Thanks!

jasonmcroy

Post by jasonmcroy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:33 am

Well, that didn't go so well. :(

When I went back into WMC to add the tuners, every time I tried to go into Settings>Set Up>TV my whole computer locks up to a point where I can't even use ctl-alt-delete and I have to manually shut the computer down.

So, I went in and restarted from scratch. Now, for some reason WMC won't pick up my Connect or Extend device, only the Prime. I have Googled and so far can't find anyone else with a similar situation.

Anyway, for now I've just left it running with the Prime only and hopefully can find a solution somewhere on it not picking up the ATSC tuners. Do you have any ideas on that one?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:13 pm

This has happened to me a couple times when messing around with WMC and the HDHR tuners. I've found that I could go into the HDHomeRun Setup tool and change the BDA Compatability Mode to Default and back to Windows Media Center and they would suddenly appear in WMC.
- Gary

jasonmcroy

Post by jasonmcroy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:48 pm

Thanks again for the reply. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's going to be that simple for me. In fact, now when I try to go into to reset my TV setup my cpu jumps to 70% and when I look into the task manager I have Windows Media Center Receiver running at 70% or above. It will stay like that even after I exit WMC unless I restart the computer. I have re-created this scenario like 5 times now just so I know for myself that is what is happening.

So, I am going to re-install Windows at this point because it seems so much more laggy than when I had Windows 10 on this same computer. I have an AMD 8 core cpu and 8 gb of RAM so it shouldn't be acting like this.

I will see how a re-install goes. At least setting up epg123 is working for the Prime unit. Very simple and easy to use!

jasonmcroy

Post by jasonmcroy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:11 pm

I just wanted to give an update. I reinstalled 8.1 (this time I downloaded the ISO from Microsoft instead of using my original disk - save me TONS of time on installing updates!) and all went very smoothly.

I just installed and ran epg123 and all looks good. WMC picked up the Prime and my ATSC tuners and scanned the channels. It seems like everything is good to go and I am not getting that 70% cpu utilization so far.

Now to install the other add-ins (Channel logos xl, tuner salad, etc.)

Thanks for your help!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:32 am

Awesome. Thanks for the update.
- Gary

bobbyp9999

Post by bobbyp9999 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:17 am

jasonmcroy wrote:I just wanted to give an update. I reinstalled 8.1 (this time I downloaded the ISO from Microsoft instead of using my original disk - save me TONS of time on installing updates!) and all went very smoothly.

I just installed and ran epg123 and all looks good. WMC picked up the Prime and my ATSC tuners and scanned the channels. It seems like everything is good to go and I am not getting that 70% cpu utilization so far.

Now to install the other add-ins (Channel logos xl, tuner salad, etc.)

Thanks for your help!
After my WMC hard drive crashed last month with Windows 8.1, I had to do a total reinstall. The results were amazing. It took 2 days to get back to where I was, but everything ran so much faster.

The only minor issue I have now is sometimes when powering on the TV and receiver it doesn't come up at 1080p. If I toggle the hdmi on the receiver to a different device it recognizes 1080p. All recordings are perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk