Cannot Search EPG123 Guide Listings

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Tntsotb

HTPC Specs: Show details

Cannot Search EPG123 Guide Listings

Post by Tntsotb » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:12 pm

Uninstalled epg123 v1.0.2 because could not search EPG listings through WMC and series recording requests not being honored

Installed epg123 v1.1.4
Guide search and series recordings worked perfectly for ~ 3 weeks
Now cannot search EPG listings through WMC
Now series recording requests are not being added to View Scheduled queue
No epg123 update errors in Event Viewer

Any idea(s) of what may have gone wrong?

Code: Select all

The following is a log of a recent EPG update job
20:25:15 - Beginning EPG123 update execution.
20:25:16 - Retrieving subscribed lineups.
20:25:16 - Processing 1 subscribed lineups.
20:25:16 - Completed processing lineups.
20:25:16 - Retrieving daily schedules for 113 stations.
20:25:29 - Processing 2298 daily schedules.
20:26:23 - Completed processing daily schedules.
20:26:23 - Retrieving program descriptions.
20:29:25 - Processed 14194 cached program descriptions.
20:29:25 - Downloading and processing 2023 program descriptions.
20:29:43 - Completed processing program descriptions.
20:29:43 - Retrieving generic series descriptions.
20:30:05 - Processed 3369 cached series descriptions.
20:30:05 - Downloading and processing 266 series descriptions.
20:30:06 - Completed processing series descriptions.
20:30:06 - Retrieving movie poster links.
20:30:06 - Processed 598 cached movie poster links.
20:30:06 - Downloading and processing 44 movie poster links.
20:30:09 - Completed processing movie poster links.
20:30:09 - Retrieving series image links.
20:30:09 - Processed 2648 cached series image links.
20:30:09 - Downloading and processing 987 series image links.
20:30:18 - Completed processing series image links.
20:30:18 - Completed compiling keywords and keyword groups.
20:30:20 - Completed save of mxf file.
20:30:20 - Completed save of image archive file.
20:30:21 - Completed cache cleanup after deleting 818 files.
20:30:23 - Beginning epg123 client execution.
20:33:10 - Completed importing "epg123.mxf"
20:33:11 - Completed the automatch of lineup stations to tuner channels.
20:33:11 - Completed epg123 client execution.
Thanks

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:43 pm

You need to ask this question over in the EPG123 specific subforum. Someone there should be able to help you.

[Moderator note: topic moved]

Space

Post by Space » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:13 am

WMC uses the standard windows search to index guide data. Check out this thread to make sure you have windows set up properly to index WMC:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 8&p=111440

If it is set up properly, then you may want to rebuild the search index:

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1 ... build.html

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:18 am

^what they said. Thanks guys!

Also, check the trace.log file to verify there is a something similar to the below.

Code: Select all

[2017-06-05 09:13:06Z] [ INFO] SUCCESS: Attempted to run the scheduled task "Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\ReindexSearchRoot".
[2017-06-05 09:13:06Z] [ INFO] Successfully started the ReindexSearchRoot task. Exit code: 0
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Tntsotb

Post by Tntsotb » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:12 pm

Gary, Space and Stuartm: Thanks for you guidance. I recently re-indexed my system and removed the checkbox from WMC thinking I did not need to index WMC and would thereby save some time. I am sure that you have solved my problem. I am re-indexing now.
Thanks again.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:43 pm

Glad we could help bandage your foot from that self-inflicted gunshot wound. :-)

Tntsotb

Post by Tntsotb » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:59 pm

Space: Apparently I shot myself in both feet, and one of them is still bleeding. I applied the fix recommended earlier in this thread, and I can now manually search the EPG through WMC. Thank you. However, "View Scheduled" is still not populated. Through manual searching of the EPG, I can see future programs that match my series recording request criteria but do not appear as pending series recordings.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:03 pm

Tntsotb wrote:Space: Apparently I shot myself in both feet, and one of them is still bleeding. I applied the fix recommended earlier in this thread, and I can now manually search the EPG through WMC. Thank you. However, "View Scheduled" is still not populated. Through manual searching of the EPG, I can see future programs that match my series recording request criteria but do not appear as pending series recordings.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Have you done an import since turning the indexing back on?
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:46 pm

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:55 pm

Space wrote:Perhaps it is related to this:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 3&p=117412
I think in that particular case the programs would be scheduled to record, but would not due to no available tuners. I think what is being discussed here is probably along the lines of the indexing of the scheduled recordings hasn't completed.

The reindex task I run at the end of an import indexes both the listings and the recording schedules .. hence my above question. When those results are realized in the scheduled recording list, I don't know.
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:34 pm

garyan2 wrote:
Space wrote:Perhaps it is related to this:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 3&p=117412
I think in that particular case the programs would be scheduled to record, but would not due to no available tuners. I think what is being discussed here is probably along the lines of the indexing of the scheduled recordings hasn't completed.

The reindex task I run at the end of an import indexes both the listings and the recording schedules .. hence my above question. When those results are realized in the scheduled recording list, I don't know.
When this happened to me, no programs were scheduled to record. There was no red dots on the programs that should have been recording on that channel and no program listed in the "view scheduled" list. It was not a matter of the show looking like it was scheduled to record and then at airing time it failed due to no available tuners, as you seem to be suggesting.

So the symptoms the OP described are congruent with the issue I referenced.

As for the indexing, I have no personal experience with that, but it could very well also display the same symptoms. Although I would think if it was an indexing problem, he would not be able to do a manual search (which appears, from context, to mean he is using the "Search" function of WMC) and be able to find the programs he is trying to record (but like I said, I don't have much experience with this).

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:47 am

Space wrote:As for the indexing, I have no personal experience with that, but it could very well also display the same symptoms. Although I would think if it was an indexing problem, he would not be able to do a manual search (which appears, from context, to mean he is using the "Search" function of WMC) and be able to find the programs he is trying to record (but like I said, I don't have much experience with this).
You could certainly be right. As for the indexing ... the reindexing of the guide/database and the scheduled recordings are related but completely separate activities. I don't know exactly the relationship, but have seen the scheduled recordings not populate until after the guide has completed indexing, which makes sense. When that happens and what initiates, I don't know. I have always suspected it is part of the reindex task but at the end.
- Gary

Tntsotb

Post by Tntsotb » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:17 pm

Gary, Space: Thanks for your feedback. The following is additional, hopefully useful, information on my situation.

epg123_update has run several times without error, according to trace.log, since re-indexing my system with WMC included.
I have verified that all of the usual suspects have checkmarks next to them in "Settings->TV->Guide->Edit Channels->(select channel)".
I have verified that all of the usual suspects have checkmarks next to them in epg123Client.exe.
There are a few series recordings in WMC View Schedule. These are left over from before my foot-shooting incident of excluding WMC from system re-index.
These few series recordings record without error when there time arrives.
I can watch live TV through WMC > TV > Live TV with no problems.

Any additional suggestions would be appreciated.

I will re-re-index my system and run epg123_update again while hoping for a better outcome.
I will let you know what happens.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:49 pm

Tntsotb wrote:I have verified that all of the usual suspects have checkmarks next to them in "Settings->TV->Guide->Edit Channels->(select channel)".
You need to go 1 step further to verify what Space was suggesting. Select 'Edit Sources' and verify your tuners are checked ... not obvious, but these are the "recording" tuners.
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:09 am

If you have some episodes from Series in "view scheduled" and others not, then it is very possible that only series that are on certain channels are scheduled and others on other channels are not. This is even more evidence that you do not have any tuners enabled for the channels that are not recording.

So I would ask you to find a show that should be recording and then determine what channel it is on. Then go to "Settings->TV->Guide->Edit Channels->(select channel)->Edit Sources" where "(select channel)" is the channel the show is on.

On the "Edit Sources" screen you should see a list of tuners that WMC thinks have that channel available. You should put a check mark next to each tuner that you want to use to record from this channel. After doing this "Save" the change.

If no tuners were checked, then you would not see the show appear in "view scheduled". If you added the check marks and saved the change, then you should immediately see the shows appear in "view scheduled".

If this turns out to be your problem, then you need to do the same procedure for all channels that may have this problem. I am not sure if there is an easier way of doing this. You can disable and then re-enable the channel and I believe that automatically "enables" all the tuners for that channel when you re-enable it. But it is still a tedious process if you have many channels like this.

Another option is to use GuideTool or even EPG123 to disable (then apply the change) and then enable (and apply the change) the channels, but someone else would have to try this to let you know if it works.

Tntsotb

Post by Tntsotb » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:53 pm

Gary, Space: Thanks again for your suggestions.
I have completed re-re-indexing my system and have allowed the scheduled epg123_update job to perform its function with no errors.
Unfortunately, View Scheduled has still not populated with pending series recordings.

I have gone to "Settings->TV->Guide->Edit Channels->(select channel)->Edit Sources" and verified that each channel for which I expect to see a series recording has a checkmark in the box for each of the two tuners. I tried to paste a screen print here but could not determine how to do so.

I went a step further while in this area by selecting a channel, unchecking both tuners, saving on each menu as I backed-out THEN went back to that same channel and checked both tuners, saving on each menu as I backed-out. I then looked at View Scheduled and found no change.

Any other ideas before I upgrade from V1.1.4 to V1.1.7? V1.1.4 is not the problem, but following the epg123 install clean-start instructions may result in a beneficial change. At worst, I will be running the latest version of epg123.

Thanks.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:35 pm

If you're considering a clean start, you can try a database rebuild first to see if that helps.

Considering everything else is checking out, maybe it's actually something obvious. Have you tried to change your scheduled recordings to ALL channels, not specific channels and see if that changes anything? Are the scheduled recording NEW only and there are no new episodes?
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:00 am

Gary, If he upgraded from epg123 v1.0.2 to epg123 v1.1.4 I believe he needs to run the upgrade tool, correct? I am not sure this was done.

If the tool was run then here are some other suggestions:

If you set up single records for shows picked from the program guide, do they show up in the "view scheduled" list?

When you view the details of an airing of a show you have a Series for (selected from the program guide), does it have the "delete series" option available? If not then your Series is no longer valid and you may need to delete and recreate it.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:53 am

Space wrote:Gary, If he upgraded from epg123 v1.0.2 to epg123 v1.1.4 I believe he needs to run the upgrade tool, correct? I am not sure this was done.
I tested this scenario and in appeared to work fine. By changing the channel of a series record to "Any channel", then it will correct the possible issue that it is not recognizing the channel due to the new ID. If it works then, setting it back to the preferred channel would now set it to the correct ID and should work as well.
- Gary

Tntsotb

Post by Tntsotb » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:57 pm

Gary, Space: Thanks for all of your assistance with my problem, which is now resolved.

I performed a database rebuild from the epg123 Client gui. Although I provided it with the .mxf file in my epg123 directory, the DB rebuild wiped out all of the guide listings within WMC. I manually ran the epg123_update job, which resulted in:
EPG listings being restored
AND
View Scheduled now populated with future programs
AND
the EPG search function still works.

Thanks again for working with me during this troubleshooting process.