EPG123 locks/hangs WMC guide

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
IT Troll

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by IT Troll » Sat May 20, 2017 7:17 am

garyan2 wrote:Question would be "Why does using epg123 expose this limitation?" Maybe the restriction is not allowing redirects. Some of the guide images will be to SD which will redirect to AWS.
I have seen this kind of thing with other software. If the initial installation/configuration is made with an elevated admin account then a particular folder/file is not accessible to a standard user account.

Using would Process Monitor would reveal is it is indeed a file or registry permission issue. If this shows nothing, then we are back to it being an Internet connectivity thing.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

cordcut2013

Post by cordcut2013 » Sat May 20, 2017 3:36 pm

To clarify my last post, the machine with the working administrator account locks up when logging in with non admin / privileged accounts.

I tried on the other machine I mentioned and get the same results. Administrator and the guide is fine. Non admin and the guide locks.

My other machine uses a single tuner made by a different manufacturer, Avitech.

Another thing that may or may not be a in play is that I had loaded the TV feature and the NextPVR feature in Kodi Krypton which accesses/uses the tuners in the system. I configured these only under the regular user and not administrator. But it doesn't explain why a brand new user account would be affected.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat May 20, 2017 7:00 pm

Is there possibly something logged in the log files located at 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\ehome\Logs'? Maybe there is something there to identify what the account is having problems accessing.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

arcturus

Post by arcturus » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:01 pm

Was there any definitive resolution?

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:54 am

No, I don't think cordcut has been back since.

The problem does seem to be to do with the download of additional guide data. But we have only had 2 or 3 cases and so the root cause is still unknown.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

ViperJohn

Post by ViperJohn » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:57 am

CordCut

Take a look at the Windows event log. I would bet there will be many WMC errors that may give you a clue to the lockings cause. If the log is flooded to the point you can't make heads or tails out of it clear it then reproduce your locking scenario and then check the event log again