Stuck at 'Downloading TV Setup Data'

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
arcturus

HTPC Specs: Show details

Stuck at 'Downloading TV Setup Data'

Post by arcturus » Tue May 02, 2017 11:41 pm

PDF instruction 4 says to click OK button on warning prompt and proceed with the setup until complete.

Problem is nothing downloads so I ultimately have to cancel, stopping whatever setup is needed to get past this point.

Win7
HdHomerun Dual

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:31 am

At this stage, it is still trying to download information from MS servers for regional information for configuring your tuners. I've seen this problem quite a few times where it tells you it can't download. Most of the time, I just CANCEL, BACK, deny to ToS again, and the second time it "gets" the information.

Another route would be to use zip code 00000 ... it recognizes an invalid zip code and doesn't really try to download anything. It will then proceed to the tuner setup.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

arcturus

Post by arcturus » Wed May 03, 2017 1:20 am

Ok, got through the zip code holdup.

Next problem, it scans for channels, I elect to choose manually, click antenna, detects my 2 HdHomerun tuners, click next, and greeted by 'TV Setup Cannot Continue' with a 'TV setup has detected a serious problem' narrative.

So I'm back to square one.

I've gone so far as to uninstall, then reinstall WMC.

Worse is the fact that prior to all of this WMC was at least working, now I'm dead in the water.

arcturus

Post by arcturus » Wed May 03, 2017 1:26 am

I'm now looking at this post by dbjorck - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 215a1e62b2

(this is becoming a pia)

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed May 03, 2017 2:45 am

Let us know how it goes. His/Her method is pretty close to what I would suggest. I would have suggested booting into safe mode and running epg123Client.exe to perform the 'Step 1: Clean Start' and delete the ehome folder that way. Once you boot back into normal mode, try TV Setup again.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

arcturus

Post by arcturus » Wed May 03, 2017 2:10 pm

The instructions in his link worked! TV setup in WMC went much faster.

Guess it's too much to expect a 10 year old OS to uninstall all relevant files for a clean start.

bernie_xg

Post by bernie_xg » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:25 am

I just want to share, that I recently had a similar issue and found a resolution.

Well, truth be told, first I had a WMC was not downloading guide issue.

And when I went to schedule a new recording, either on echo extender, or via desktop, WMC would close.

I did some steps to revert to a previous version of the cache db (C:\programdata\microsoft\ehome\mcepg2-5.db ) and then had this issue that when WMC tried to update its configuration, it would get stuck on Downloading TV Setup Data.

I eventually tracked it down to my virus scanner (Avast) put C:\windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe in the virus chest, as part of some unknown virus detection algorithm. Apparently mcupdate.exe acts suspicious.

I thought I would share if suddenly anyone else starts having guide stop downloading or WMC crashing when trying to schedule a recording.

The most frustrating thing was, there was no log or event, it would just hang....

davefoc

Post by davefoc » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:12 am

Was up til 3am a few days ago trying to get this to work. Tried many things and nothing worked. I got to the Downloading TV setup Data message and WMC just sat there. I thought maybe I had screwed it up because I tried the option use the Silicon Dust Data which I thought I might have because I subscribed to the EPG that goes with their software a long time ago. I went to bed with the idea that something was seriously wrong and I wasn't going to get this going. Then ... FM (doesn't stand for frequency modulation). When I got up WMC had gotten past the Downloading TV Setup message. It began asking a series of setup questions which I clicked on through and then whoa. Channel 2 began to play. That was the only channel but that was a lot farther than I had gotten before I went to bed. I shut down WMC, clicked on Save & Execute in the EPG123 AP, the program whirred for a bit and then everything worked. Nice.

So maybe I didn't wait long enough for the Downloading TV Setup Data message to go away? I waited a half hour or so and then decided it couldn't take that long and kept trying other stuff. And maybe when I went to bed I left it at the prompt and it kept doing whatever WMC does in these situations until it decided it had had enough fun and it would move on? Maybe something I did in all the random clicking and cursing fixed something? I don't know but once I got past the initial problem all has been good. My wife blames me for all technological problems and I was feeling some problems in that area so thank you EPG123.

As an aside. WMC has mostly been a good program for us. We have used it for about 10 years. But it is almost completely without meaningful error messages. Basically WMC works in two modes: working and not working and WMC thinks providing clues as to why it is in the non-working mode is beneath it. Without the Silicon Dust software I would never have gotten our system going. Silicon Dust provided good diagnostic tools to help figure out why something wasn't working. They were particularly important when I interfaced with the cable tv technicians so I could prove it when they were responsible for a problem.