More guide questions

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
jachin99

HTPC Specs: Show details

More guide questions

Post by jachin99 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:29 pm

Is it possible or even normal for WMC either on its own, or through a third party tool to load two separate MXF files into a database, and have Windows Media Center display those as separate listings in 2 separate programs within WMC, I.E. One set of guide data is displayed in TV Guide, while the other is displayed in a separate program like Sports?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:16 pm

jachin99 wrote:Is it possible or even normal for WMC either on its own, or through a third party tool to load two separate MXF files into a database, and have Windows Media Center display those as separate listings in 2 separate programs within WMC, I.E. One set of guide data is displayed in TV Guide, while the other is displayed in a separate program like Sports?
Yea, wondering this one too.. as we were looking for a way to possibly revive the WMC sports strip, that was showing game scores...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Space

Post by Space » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:45 pm

I am not completely familiar with the format of the MXF file, but I believe all it is doing is loading data in to tables in the database. So I am guessing that you can load many different MXF files in to the database. Each of those MXF files can be loading data in to different tables. If you look at the logs when it is downloading guide data, you can see that it is downloading several different MXF files (such as for sports, etc.) so I am pretty sure it is possible.

You can see a bit of that format here:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 76338.aspx

That link only shows info on the TV listings, but there may be ways to load in other stuff to the database.

The key here is documentation, which is scarce, but it may be out there somewhere.

Gary was able to learn enough about the format to build EPG123, but I don't know if he has documentation on anything other than the stuff used for building guide data.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:39 pm

So If it loads all the guide info it needs for each program into one database file through multiple .MXF files, i am assuming it would store the information for each program in a unique table. I wonder what would happen if I could view the mcepg file in a database program that could separate each table.

glorp

Post by glorp » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:36 pm

Pretty sure what you are asking is possible. Depending on how you install EPG123 you can end up with both Rovi data and S-D data in your WMC EPG database because each schedule update program is loading it's respective mxf. The Rovi comes from the ongoing MS schedule updates if they are not disabled and EPG123 from it's app. In that case a lot of the schedule data overlap or conflict which leads to trouble for people who only want the S-D data. But it happens because multiple mxf's are loaded in to the common EPG database. I do know that data loaded by loadmxf.exe does not delete old or previous data. The garbage collection is done separately by mcupdate.exe via a scheduled task every so often after a normal MS EPG update, and that's why the instructions tell people not to disable the scheduled task for mcupdate entirely, even if they have a situation where they do not want to download Rovi data anymore.

Gary will know for sure.