No Guide Data

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
RobbieH

HTPC Specs: Show details

No Guide Data

Post by RobbieH » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:37 pm

Last night I noticed I had no guide data in WMC. I was running a version of EPG123 older than 1.0, so I decided to start completely over. I downloaded the new version last night, cleared the WMC data using the utility, then installed and ran EPG123. The SchedulesDirect download worked, and it appeared everything went just fine. But when I go to TV in WMC, I only have recorded tv and live tv, there's no guide. Where should I start?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:12 pm

HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

RobbieH

Post by RobbieH » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:13 pm

I didn't skip it. I neglected to post it. I did do step 2. Told it I don't agree, it set up my tuners, etc.

My lineups are configured also.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:17 pm

RobbieH wrote:Last night I noticed I had no guide data in WMC. I was running a version of EPG123 older than 1.0, so I decided to start completely over. I downloaded the new version last night, cleared the WMC data using the utility, then installed and ran EPG123. The SchedulesDirect download worked, and it appeared everything went just fine. But when I go to TV in WMC, I only have recorded tv and live tv, there's no guide. Where should I start?
A clarification that may produce something, but the process I recommend is below.

"cleared the WMC data using the utility" ... did you mean using the client (epg123Client.exe)?

I believe having the "Live TV" option indicates you have scanned channels in your tuner. If you open epg123Client, are all your scanned channels present in the left panel? (All broadcast channels for OTA, 9999 channels for cable/satellite)

The "Guide" option is disabled when the EPG ToS is declined as part of the setup using registry settings. The epg123Client changes those registries to enable it again. Please do the following: ensure WMC is closed, open epg123Client, verify the text beside the Registry button says "Configured", close epg123Client, and open WMC again.

If that doesn't work, I am starting to suspect MS has pushed some update that affects my fix ... though I would think the problem would be much more widespread. To test the theory, please run TV Setup again but use zip code '00000' and accept the EPG ToS. Let's see what happens.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

RobbieH

Post by RobbieH » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:27 pm

Yes, I had to go into Safe Mode to clear with the utility, even though I'm a local admin and I ran as admin, but that's OK, it is done.

All my channels are present in EPG123.

Registry button is grayed out, and to the right it says "Configured".
BUT
That did it. I don't know why opening the EPG123 client worked, but my guide is populated. Amazing! :)

I haven't done any updates recently I don't think. I'm pretty good at sitting on them a long time since this is an isolated box. It's a dead-head server running in VMWare on a host in my closet. Nobody touches it but me, and it's not used for surfing or anything that puts it in danger, so I'm slow to roll out updates to it.

I'll keep an eye on things and make sure we are stable. If you think there's an update that has done something, let me know if you need me to test/check something.

Thank you for jumping in.

RobbieH

Post by RobbieH » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:33 pm

Ut oh. It populated my OTA channels but not my cable channels. I'm checking some settings now.

I do show 3 cable tuners in WMC.

EDIT - I found a setting in the lineups column on the right that I missed or somehow got changed. At the top is a green or red circle, and I'm guessing when it's clicked to red, it does not pull that lineup. I changed it to green, and now it's importing more data than before I believe.

Oops, it just crashed, MXF Loader crashed.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:38 pm

RobbieH wrote:Registry button is grayed out, and to the right it says "Configured".
BUT
That did it. I don't know why opening the EPG123 client worked, but my guide is populated. Amazing! :)
The client automatically checks and tries to write to registry if needed when it opens ... no user direction is actually needed to apply the fix. If the registry settings are wrong, and it failed to write to the registry, then the button will be active and the text will say "Not Configured". I believe I do the same thing with the epg123.exe executable.

The problem is at the end of the TV Setup, WMC will revert back to a disabled guide. Both the epg123.exe and the epg123Client.exe files will try and correct the registry when they are opened. So in your case, I believe it was just a sequence of events. If neither program was opened after the TV Setup was completed, then the registry was never fixed. Also, if WMC was never opened after the registry changes, the fix would not be loaded yet.
- Gary

RobbieH

Post by RobbieH » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:43 pm

OK, got it. Thanks!

Looks like it ran this second time without a crash. Checking now.

Yes, everything looks good again, thank you!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:44 pm

RobbieH wrote:EDIT - I found a setting in the lineups column on the right that I missed or somehow got changed. At the top is a green or red circle, and I'm guessing when it's clicked to red, it does not pull that lineup. I changed it to green, and now it's importing more data than before I believe.
Correct. This was added in 1.0.0?
RobbieH wrote:Oops, it just crashed, MXF Loader crashed.
Don't fret just yet. MXF Loader sometimes doesn't like big updates like an initial load (all your newly added cable channels) ... also, tends to have difficulty if there is a reindex going on at the same time (from last import). Suggest trying again using the manual import in the client.
- Gary