After upgrading from 1.0.1 to 1.1.3, WMC crashes

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Scallica

HTPC Specs: Show details

After upgrading from 1.0.1 to 1.1.3, WMC crashes

Post by Scallica » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:24 pm

I upgraded my test system from 1.0.1 to 1.1.3. I followed the instructions carefully including running the utility. The WMC EPG populated successfully, but when I click on any listing in the guide, WMC crashes. I used the "Clean Start" feature in the EPG123 Client tool, but the results remain the same.

I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Attachments
eshell-crash.jpg
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:47 pm

Ruh Roh

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:23 am

Not sure if this is an epg123 problem, maybe just the instigator. I've managed to get that error when there was a bad import, but since it basically did it to you twice, I don't think that's it.

I have managed to create this type a failure importing the utility mxf file... it seemed to be stuck, so I forced it to close. When I opened WMC, the error was there.

Do you have any custom created channels? perhaps created by Lineup Selector? I'm starting to suspect glorp's method of creating custom channels will cause the utility to fail, and for me last night the database rebuild to fail. I've got more trials to run to prove that out.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:52 am

garyan2 wrote:Do you have any custom created channels? perhaps created by Lineup Selector?
No and no. I am going to reset WMC again and downgrade to 1.0.1 and see what happens.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:22 am

I downgraded to 1.0.1 and received the same results. I switched back to Rovi and the crash does not happen. I am going try 1.1.3 again from the beginning.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:10 am

Keep us posted on this.... The past two days I've been having issues that I thought might be an issue with my Mikrotik switch. But the problem only occurs when I'm watching TV in WMC.

The video freezes... Xbox finally comes up with an error saying it lost it's network connection. That was why I thought it might be my switch. When I try to log into the server it's locked up and I have to reset it via IPMI or the reset button.

I don't see how it epg123 could cause this if it's not actively doing anything but I'm no software expert. Could it be a Windows update?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:21 am

I just noticed that you specifically said when you click on something in the guide. Mine issue is when WMC is playing live TV. Or just sitting idle.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:47 am

Any news, Scallica? :?:
- Gary

marvin-miller

Post by marvin-miller » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:33 am

I'm seeing the same thing - also my guide listings don't seem to be updating. I've got it set for 14 days but all I'm seeing is to the 18th. Since going to the latest EPG I don't seem to be getting updates. I think I'm going back to the previous release to see if things get better.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:28 pm

marvin-miller wrote:I'm seeing the same thing - also my guide listings don't seem to be updating. I've got it set for 14 days but all I'm seeing is to the 18th. Since going to the latest EPG I don't seem to be getting updates. I think I'm going back to the previous release to see if things get better.
You're seeing the same thing as the OP Scallica? or the live TV issue like kd6icz?
- Gary

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:32 pm

I started from the beginning with 1.1.3. I started by using the "Clean Start" button which successfully cleared the ehome folder. I ran the Live TV setup, then ran EPG123. Strangely, the channel guide icon in WMC would not appear until I ran the EPG123 utility, then imported the MXF file into the EPG123 client. I thought the utility was only if you are upgrading from v1.0.2 or higher. Anyway, the crash still occurs. I tried downloading an entirely different lineup on a different provider and the results were the same.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:42 pm

Scallica wrote:I started from the beginning with 1.1.3. I started by using the "Clean Start" button which successfully cleared the ehome folder. I ran the Live TV setup, then ran EPG123. Strangely, the channel guide icon in WMC would not appear until I ran the EPG123 utility, then imported the MXF file into the EPG123 client. I thought the utility was only if you are upgrading from v1.0.2 or higher. Anyway, the crash still occurs. I tried downloading an entirely different lineup on a different provider and the results were the same.
And you said that with MS/Rovi the problem was no longer there? Do you have a backup image perhaps?

The epg123utility.exe is for the upgrade... epg123Client.exe has been expanded for all actions a client station would need (including the registry settings to show the Guide button).
- Gary

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:48 pm

Yep, if I roll back to Rovi, it works fine. I don't have a backup prior to the EPG123 upgrade. Also, maybe it's time for a clean install, as I do have a lot of junk installed on it.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:57 pm

Scallica wrote:Yep, if I roll back to Rovi, it works fine. I don't have a backup prior to the EPG123 upgrade. Also, maybe it's time for a clean install, as I do have a lot of junk installed on it.
Okay, I'm going to start looking at the epg123Client code. There is one thing I've been a little concerned about in that the GUI should be releasing the database prior to performing a manual update, but it gives the appearance it has not. Don't know if that would have an impact, or even create this problem, but it's a start.

... well no, that makes no sense either considering you went back to 1.0.1 and still had the problem. :crazy:
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:25 pm

Scallica, could you run an experiment for me? Could you do the following:

1) Revert back to MS/Rovi - verify issue is not present; Close WMC.
2) Use the epg123Client.exe to manually import your existing .mxf file using the [Manual Import] button
3) Ensure EPG123 Lineups with Schedules Direct is selected in the pulldown on the right panel
4) Click the Automatch by: [# Number] button on the left side
5) Close epg123Client and open WMC to see if issue still exists.
- Gary

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:10 pm

^I ran through the steps twice; the crash still happens.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:04 pm

Scallica wrote:^I ran through the steps twice; the crash still happens.
Now let's try this, please. [drive]:\[path] values should be path to your epg123 folder. Do not open either epg123.exe or epg123client.exe during the below.

1) Revert back to MS/Rovi - verify issue is not present; Close WMC.
2) From a command prompt, execute "c:\windows\ehome\loadmxf.exe -i [drive]:\[path]\epg123.mxf"
3) Open WMC and check if issue is present. Close WMC.
4) From a command prompt, execute "[drive]:\[path]\epg123Client.exe -match"
5) Open WMC and check if issue is present.

This will let us know when it happens, and if it is the GUI, the import, the match, or the data.
- Gary

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:21 pm

I reverted back to Rovi (using the Clean Start button). I ran through the TV setup wizard, then went to the channel guide. WMC crashed on only one specific listing. All other lists were okay. Next, I loaded the MXF file in step 2. All listings displayed without crashing. Next, I ran the automatch command and now all listings cause a crash!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:21 pm

I haven't found anything to lead to a root cause with epg123... considering mine and everyone else's success. This may simply be a WMC, .NET, Windows thing. Was there anything special about the specific listing crashing with just the Rovi data?

My next suggestion would be to clear the Internet Explorer cache (WMC uses it for downloaded images), but I wouldn't expect any difference.

There are quite a few suggestions here, as well.

Pretty much everything I've found focuses on DirectX, video codecs and drivers, .NET frameworks and some have only been resolved by uninstalling WMC and resinstalling.

Sorry I can't find anything on this linking directly to epg123 ... I could fix it then.
- Gary

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:44 pm

Just a wild stab in the dark. Could it be the episode/series images? That it something which EPG123 adds over the Rovi. Perhaps an underlying problem on the system manifests whilst trying to display these images.

Would in be possible to strip the image references prior to import as a test?
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1