v1.1.1 Release

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
garyan2

HTPC Specs: Show details

v1.1.1 Release

Post by garyan2 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:43 pm

Just release version 1.1.1 to address some minor issues and add some improvements. More information on the website Download page.

http://epg123.garyan2.net
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

rimmel

Post by rimmel » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:25 am

I just ran V1.1.1 and everything seemed to work OK. I do not know what your expectations were for correcting Md5 processing, but I am still getting two EPG123 warning messages in the Media Center event log regarding mismatches. However, in the second event log entry I got only two of these warning messages. Before V1.1.1 I was getting 30 to 40 of these mismatch messages.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:27 am

rimmel wrote:I just ran V1.1.1 and everything seemed to work OK. I do not know what your expectations were for correcting Md5 processing, but I am still getting two EPG123 warning messages in the Media Center event log regarding mismatches. However, in the second event log entry I got only two of these warning messages. Before V1.1.1 I was getting 30 to 40 of these mismatch messages.
I wasn't too interested in eliminating the reporting of Md5 mismatches ... it's just the last version tended to perpetuate them while introducing the risk if not getting updated guide information. I closed that loop, but will still report the mismatches as I find them.
- Gary

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:55 pm

Thanks for the update and I see the website got a bit of a new look. :thumbup:

If you happen to use the built-in Windows zip extraction, rather than something like 7-Zip, then the exe files get the block flag set and need to be unblocked before they will run. This isn't anything new and happens with any unknown/unsigned code. Might be worth a mention in the install guide.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:46 am

IT Troll wrote:Thanks for the update and I see the website got a bit of a new look. :thumbup:

If you happen to use the built-in Windows zip extraction, rather than something like 7-Zip, then the exe files get the block flag set and need to be unblocked before they will run. This isn't anything new and happens with any unknown/unsigned code. Might be worth a mention in the install guide.
How 'bout a self-extracting 7-zip file? Just posted v1.1.2 on the website to address listview sorting issues.
- Gary

Beaker1024

Post by Beaker1024 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:38 pm

I have an [ERROR] in my Trace.log file that wasn't happening with v1.1.0

With v1.1.1 each time it runs I get this:

[2/28/2017 4:03:13 AM] [ INFO] Successfully retrieved 1767 programs metadata.
[2/28/2017 4:03:20 AM] [ERROR] WritingEventLog Failed with System.ArgumentException: Log entry string is too long. A string written to the event log cannot exceed 32766 characters.
at System.Diagnostics.EventLogInternal.InternalWriteEvent(UInt32 eventID, UInt16 category, EventLogEntryType type, String[] strings, Byte[] rawData, String currentMachineName)
at System.Diagnostics.EventLogInternal.WriteEntry(String message, EventLogEntryType type, Int32 eventID, Int16 category, Byte[] rawData)
at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.WriteEntry(String source, String message, EventLogEntryType type, Int32 eventID, Int16 category, Byte[] rawData)
at epg123.EventLogger.InsertEventLog(EventLogEntryType evtLogType, String strMsg)
[2/28/2017 4:03:20 AM] Exiting buildAllProgramEntries(). SUCCESS.

I've doubled checked and this is not in any of the trace logs prior to upgrading to v1.1.1 Please note that I have not changed any options (or selections of channels) or anything between v1.1.0 and v1.1.1

At this time everything seems to be working correctly. Just wanted to let you know.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:38 pm

garyan2 wrote:How 'bout a self-extracting 7-zip file? Just posted v1.1.2 on the website to address listview sorting issues.
Well now it warns when you download, "is not commonly downloaded and could be dangerous", and the self extracting file gets the blocked flag. So I am not sure that is much friendlier really for first time users.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:50 pm

IT Troll wrote:
garyan2 wrote:How 'bout a self-extracting 7-zip file? Just posted v1.1.2 on the website to address listview sorting issues.
Well now it warns when you download, "is not commonly downloaded and could be dangerous", and the self extracting file gets the blocked flag. So I am not sure that is much friendlier really for first time users.
I got that with avast! I just excluded "*\epg123*.exe" Opened and extracted after that.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:21 am

Beaker1024 wrote:I have an [ERROR] in my Trace.log file that wasn't happening with v1.1.0

With v1.1.1 each time it runs I get this:

[2/28/2017 4:03:13 AM] [ INFO] Successfully retrieved 1767 programs metadata.
[2/28/2017 4:03:20 AM] [ERROR] WritingEventLog Failed with System.ArgumentException: Log entry string is too long. A string written to the event log cannot exceed 32766 characters.
at System.Diagnostics.EventLogInternal.InternalWriteEvent(UInt32 eventID, UInt16 category, EventLogEntryType type, String[] strings, Byte[] rawData, String currentMachineName)
at System.Diagnostics.EventLogInternal.WriteEntry(String message, EventLogEntryType type, Int32 eventID, Int16 category, Byte[] rawData)
at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.WriteEntry(String source, String message, EventLogEntryType type, Int32 eventID, Int16 category, Byte[] rawData)
at epg123.EventLogger.InsertEventLog(EventLogEntryType evtLogType, String strMsg)
[2/28/2017 4:03:20 AM] Exiting buildAllProgramEntries(). SUCCESS.

I've doubled checked and this is not in any of the trace logs prior to upgrading to v1.1.1 Please note that I have not changed any options (or selections of channels) or anything between v1.1.0 and v1.1.1

At this time everything seems to be working correctly. Just wanted to let you know.
Well, certainly haven't seen that before. Took a look, and I see the problem in the code. Evidently I decided to log the Md5 mismatches in the event log, and there are evidently a lot of them. I am truly trying to write a message with more than 32766 characters to the log file.

Since this is not causing any real problems, I'm not going to push anything out to correct it right now.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:23 am

IT Troll wrote:
Life was so much simpler when I was using .7z files. :crazy: I just can't win. I'm sure plan D will be coming at some point.
- Gary

Beaker1024

Post by Beaker1024 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:47 am

garyan2 wrote:...
Well, certainly haven't seen that before. Took a look, and I see the problem in the code. Evidently I decided to log the Md5 mismatches in the event log, and there are evidently a lot of them. I am truly trying to write a message with more than 32766 characters to the log file.

Since this is not causing any real problems, I'm not going to push anything out to correct it right now.
Thank you for the quick response. I've been reading about these Md5 mis-matches regarding your EPG123 and SD datasets. All I know Md5 from is as a hash to compare to make sure a file hasn't been modified (either for bad things/viruses,etc... or just corrupt data transfer).

What does Md5 mis-match mean in regards to EPG123 and SD dataset? Is having the mismatch(es) something to be concerned about? I don't believe we have to be concerned with any malware from a source as SD but does it relate to the files integrity? Also I assume EPG123 only downloads the listings/guide data, curates it and grooms it to be injected into WMC. Does it upload anything to SD?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:10 am

Beaker1024 wrote:What does Md5 mis-match mean in regards to EPG123 and SD dataset? Is having the mismatch(es) something to be concerned about? I don't believe we have to be concerned with any malware from a source as SD but does it relate to the files integrity? Also I assume EPG123 only downloads the listings/guide data, curates it and grooms it to be injected into WMC. Does it upload anything to SD?
1. epg123 requests a service's schedule and the results are the ProgramId and the ProgramMd5
2. epg123 requests the program details using the ProgramId which contains the ProgramMd5 in the results
3. if the ProgramMd5 for the 1st request does not match the embedded ProgramMd5 from the 2nd request, you get the warning

Because epg123 is requesting the program information by the ID, then it is always the most current information... so no risk to the guide. The mismatch is due to the program information being updated (new md5) after the service schedule has been built with the old md5.

I believe I just convinced myself to remove the warnings.

EDIT: just noticed the last question. epg123 does not upload anything to SD. Communications are limited to requesting a token during login, and messages to request guide information.
- Gary

Beaker1024

Post by Beaker1024 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:52 pm

Garyan2 - Thank you for not only your detailed answers but for this software! Your documentation is among the best and is a rare example for creating instructions that any user can follow. I have to mention that your decision to put screen captures with highlighted boxes to assist with describing parameters (by visually showing the effects/differences) and features within your GUI was much appreciated!

It's awesome to have such an impactful software/addon to WMC be actively developed and supported.

Side Note - Possibly useful for others starting out with EPG123 to know
I happen to be a long time user of the RecordedTVHD GUI interface/addon to MCE and as soon as I switched to EPG123 from Rovi any new recording got their own separate listing for the same show. It's because of what RecordedTVHD uses as the unique identifier, the "MCID" is different from the two guide sources. Thankfully within "Recorded TV HD Setting" GUI (outside of WMC) is offered the "series override" which you can select the old Rovi MCID (!MCSeries!########) edit that entry and use the combine button (it should automatically have the same name series with SD MCID (!Series!########) selected. In a few clicks the series is merged/fixed. It's best to edit the entry with the old Rovi !MCSeries!###### and combine it into the new !Series!###### one not the other way around.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:24 pm

garyan2 wrote:Life was so much simpler when I was using .7z files. :crazy: I just can't win. I'm sure plan D will be coming at some point.
The ultimate solution is to sign the code with a certificate. But that is not going to happen unless people have been very generous with their donations!

So, I think a standard zip file, with a note in the instructions (and/or download page) to unblock the files if you are using Window's built-in zip extraction, is the least worst option. This way, people who use third-party utilities like 7-Zip to extract the archive won't be affected.
Beaker1024 wrote:Side Note - Possibly useful for others starting out with EPG123 to know
I happen to be a long time user of the RecordedTVHD GUI interface/addon to MCE and as soon as I switched to EPG123 from Rovi any new recording got their own separate listing for the same show. <snip>
I'm also a long time RTVHD user. If you keep your recordings after watching then the combine feature you mentioned is indeed the answer. Otherwise, if you are a watch and delete person, the series duality will of course go away naturally given time.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:26 am

Yah, I took a look at the price tag on a certificate, and was somewhat discouraged from taking that path. I'll take a look again to see if I feel any different. :problem:
- Gary