Proper way to disable/renumber channels

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
RyC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Proper way to disable/renumber channels

Post by RyC » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:17 am

I finally had a spare Saturday and made the switch. I'm wondering what the proper way to disable/renumber channels is, though. What I like to do is disable any channels I don't get and all SD channels. Then, renumber the HD channels to the SD channel number.

At first, I unchecked all the channels I don't want from the lineup in epg123.exe, then hit save and execute. However, when it finished running, I opened epg123 again and the entire lineup was checked again. Then I used epg123Client.exe and unchecked the channels in there and that worked. It doesn't seem like there's a way to renumber channels within EPG123 so I used GuideTool for that. Is this the right way to disable/renumber channels currently?

I guess it comes down to what is the difference between unchecking a channel in epg123 vs epg123Client? I do have auto match and auto import on and running 1.1.0.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:26 am

RyC wrote:I finally had a spare Saturday and made the switch. I'm wondering what the proper way to disable/renumber channels is, though. What I like to do is disable any channels I don't get and all SD channels. Then, renumber the HD channels to the SD channel number.

At first, I unchecked all the channels I don't want from the lineup in epg123.exe, then hit save and execute. However, when it finished running, I opened epg123 again and the entire lineup was checked again. Then I used epg123Client.exe and unchecked the channels in there and that worked. It doesn't seem like there's a way to renumber channels within EPG123 so I used GuideTool for that. Is this the right way to disable/renumber channels currently?

I guess it comes down to what is the difference between unchecking a channel in epg123 vs epg123Client? I do have auto match and auto import on and running 1.1.0.
Unchecking a channel in epg123 means that stations listings will not be downloaded.
Unchecking a channel in epg123Client means that channel in the guide is disabled.

I avoided adding the capability to change the number of a channel in epg123client because I haven't decided how to do it properly. Since I use the "original" channel number as scanned to perform the automatch function, I didn't want another channel number confuse things. So right now, I just have the ability to change the call sign. Using Guide Tool or WMC edit channels is the way to change the channel numbers right now.

I'm not sure why it didn't work quite right the first time when you did a Save & Execute. I would be interested if it is still doing it. You can just click Save, close epg123, open it back up and see if the changes stuck.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

RyC

Post by RyC » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:20 pm

garyan2 wrote:
RyC wrote:I finally had a spare Saturday and made the switch. I'm wondering what the proper way to disable/renumber channels is, though. What I like to do is disable any channels I don't get and all SD channels. Then, renumber the HD channels to the SD channel number.

Unchecking a channel in epg123 means that stations listings will not be downloaded.
Unchecking a channel in epg123Client means that channel in the guide is disabled.

I avoided adding the capability to change the number of a channel in epg123client because I haven't decided how to do it properly. Since I use the "original" channel number as scanned to perform the automatch function, I didn't want another channel number confuse things. So right now, I just have the ability to change the call sign. Using Guide Tool or WMC edit channels is the way to change the channel numbers right now.

I'm not sure why it didn't work quite right the first time when you did a Save & Execute. I would be interested if it is still doing it. You can just click Save, close epg123, open it back up and see if the changes stuck.
Ok I think I found the bug! In EPG123, if I hit the Save button more than once without exiting (like if I hit Save twice and then Exit), the lineup will revert to all checked the next time I open it.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:24 pm

RyC wrote:Ok I think I found the bug! In EPG123, if I hit the Save button more than once without exiting (like if I hit Save twice and then Exit), the lineup will revert to all checked the next time I open it.
Wow, I'll try to verify that tonight ... good catch if that is it. :thumbup:
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:31 am

RyC wrote:Ok I think I found the bug! In EPG123, if I hit the Save button more than once without exiting (like if I hit Save twice and then Exit), the lineup will revert to all checked the next time I open it.
I was not able to reproduce this. I'll play with it some more and keep trying.
- Gary

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:11 pm

Hmm interesting, I can reproduce this every time. I can work around it though. I'm on Windows 7 x64 if that makes any difference.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:48 pm

RyC wrote:Hmm interesting, I can reproduce this every time. I can work around it though. I'm on Windows 7 x64 if that makes any difference.
I was doing all my testing on Win10 because I'm too lazy to go into the office and work on the prime machine. I'll test it on Win7 tonight.

Thanks!
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:18 am

RyC wrote:Hmm interesting, I can reproduce this every time. I can work around it though. I'm on Windows 7 x64 if that makes any difference.
Dunno why I can't reproduce this. I've tried on Win10 64-bit, Win7 32-bit, and Win7 64-bit and failed to get them to do it. Maybe has to do with hard drive cache ... you using a SSD or spinner?
- Gary

RyC

Post by RyC » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:53 pm

garyan2 wrote:
Dunno why I can't reproduce this. I've tried on Win10 64-bit, Win7 32-bit, and Win7 64-bit and failed to get them to do it. Maybe has to do with hard drive cache ... you using a SSD or spinner?
Huh that is so weird...the OS drive is on an SSD. If no one else has this problem, I can live with it, everything else works perfectly fine :D

garnuts

Post by garnuts » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:03 pm

Have you tried disabling and/or re-numbering the channels from within WMC?

-Open the WMC Guide

-To disable the SD channel, in the Channel number column right click the SD channel and select 'Disable' then 'Save'.

-To re-number the HD channel to the SD Channel, right click on the HD Channel and the 'Channel number:' box should have the Channel number highlighted. Just change that to the SD channel number you disabled and click 'Save'. You can also 'Rename' the Channel if you want to.

I've never used EPG123 to disable or renumber channels.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:33 pm

RyC wrote:
garyan2 wrote:
Huh that is so weird...the OS drive is on an SSD. If no one else has this problem, I can live with it, everything else works perfectly fine :D
I don't know why I could never reproduce this, but I found the source of the problem. This will be fixed in the next release. Sorry it took so long to find.
- Gary

RyC

Post by RyC » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:54 pm

Oh nice thank you! Good to know I wasn't crazy :D