How do I force Scheduled recordings to repopulate?

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
SciFiGeek

HTPC Specs: Show details

How do I force Scheduled recordings to repopulate?

Post by SciFiGeek » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:37 am

This is my second issue... I was running EPG123 1.09 at the time.

I think this happened because I backed up my series recordings with software that may have put odd locks on the file and or folder.

In any case I opened media center and it said something about corruption and the guide would be downloaded again. Regrettably, I did not think to write it down or take a screen shot. Not to my surprise, I check the guide and no data everywhere. I ran EPG123 to repopulate. It does. I then check my scheduled recordings. There are none.

Probably irrelevant, after trying several gyrations and failing to find a way to force the scheduled recording to calculate, I did a clean setup of the channels, ran epg123 to get guide etc., restored my recordings and still nothing scheduled.

I set the one thing I knew was airing that night with the plan to deal with i the next day. When I checked on it next, the scheduled recordings had been populated. So I figure something did not fire to calculate the recordings or some other cleanup and reconcile process.

Does anybody know how to force the guide to calculate in this situation? Fortunately it was hours before anything needed to record in this case.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:58 am

SciFiGeek wrote:This is my second issue... I was running EPG123 1.09 at the time.

I think this happened because I backed up my series recordings with software that may have put odd locks on the file and or folder.

In any case I opened media center and it said something about corruption and the guide would be downloaded again. Regrettably, I did not think to write it down or take a screen shot. Not to my surprise, I check the guide and no data everywhere. I ran EPG123 to repopulate. It does. I then check my scheduled recordings. There are none.

Probably irrelevant, after trying several gyrations and failing to find a way to force the scheduled recording to calculate, I did a clean setup of the channels, ran epg123 to get guide etc., restored my recordings and still nothing scheduled.

I set the one thing I knew was airing that night with the plan to deal with i the next day. When I checked on it next, the scheduled recordings had been populated. So I figure something did not fire to calculate the recordings or some other cleanup and reconcile process.

Does anybody know how to force the guide to calculate in this situation? Fortunately it was hours before anything needed to record in this case.
If your backed up series recordings were from when using MS/Rovi, then restoring them will not do any good. Series IDs, service IDs, and episode IDs are all different so WMC doesn't know that TWD from Rovi is the same as TWD from Gracenote. There is some code in WMC that could reconcile based on series title, but I have never seen it work. If your restored recordings were from Rovi, then you definitely have everyone's attention. If they were from an epg123 install, then read on.

On every update, epg123 kicks off a reindex task for the database. Part of that indexing is determining all the scheduled recordings. I suspect that after your clean install, the initial reindex task took a long time and you didn't see the results until the next day. The length of the reindex will be based on the number of channels in your guide and whether there is an active recording, active viewing, ...? So to answer the question on how to kick it off, you can use Task Scheduler to kickoff Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\ReindexSearchRoot or run "C:\Windows\ehome\ehPrivJob.exe /DoReindexSearchRoot".
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:32 am

Possibly not directly related, but I encountered an issue where I would get spurious recording conflicts in my Scheduled Recordings. These would pop up after the mcupdate_scheduled task ran and happened back when I was using the MS feed (so not an EPG123 issue).

I discovered that if I ran the PvrScheduleTask task it immediately fixed up all the spurious conflicts. This task simply runs mcupdate -PvrSchedule. So I created my own task which runs this command after the daily EPG download and after the opportunistic OTA scan. I may not need it now, but I still have this task in place to perform a periodic refresh of Scheduled Recordings just to ensure the issue doesn't return.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:29 pm

IT Troll wrote:I discovered that if I ran the PvrScheduleTask task it immediately fixed up all the spurious conflicts. This task simply runs mcupdate -PvrSchedule. So I created my own task which runs this command after the daily EPG download and after the opportunistic OTA scan. I may not need it now, but I still have this task in place to perform a periodic refresh of Scheduled Recordings just to ensure the issue doesn't return.
Thanks, I had forgotten about PvrScheduleTask. Once I had determined it wasn't needed specifically for epg123, I dumped that information. :roll:
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io