How to confirm my EPG is not Rovi?

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
kansanian

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to confirm my EPG is not Rovi?

Post by kansanian » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:27 am

Well, set this up finally. Got it started Sunday night, but finished the football game.

No auto match. No step 1 safe mode.
Scheduled recordings gone as noted, most rebuilt, no biggie.
PBS mapping (and other locals) remapped to just hdhomerun prime vs tuner card. Couple lineup edits.

Question now is whether or not I need to go through the signal setup / zip code 0's.

I have run scheduled task, and see later guide data than stock by over a day. Checking some movie info, however, I see "rovi" at end of detailed synopsis. Is that just that info, or is it pulling that out of its own MS data?? I suspect it's just synopsis from them, but don't know how to know which guide data is actually being used by wmc. It shows MS cable, OTA, and EPG123 in the settings.

Either way, I'm beyond happy that this software exists and works. Would like to confirm it's all set, pay for schedules, set calendar reminder, and forget about any more MS issues for the next year :)

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:33 pm

Compare your guide data to TV Guide which is powered by Rovi.

http://www.tvguide.com/listings/
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:18 pm

Just go to Tasks/Settings/TV/Guide/About Guide Listings.

It tells you the data source: Rovi, EPG123, Zap2it, etc. There may be more than one page with different sources for each.

kansanian

Post by kansanian » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:20 pm

Thanks. What kinds of details should I look for differences in??? Show title, description, both?? I think that's part of where I'm confused :/

kansanian

Post by kansanian » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:21 pm

dmagerl wrote:Just go to Tasks/Settings/TV/Guide/About Guide Listings.

It tells you the data source: Rovi, EPG123, Zap2it, etc. There may be more than one page with different sources for each.
I see three, iirc (not home at the moment)
One for cable, one for OTA (these 2 are MS/rovi), and third is epg123...

kansanian

Post by kansanian » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Scallica wrote:Compare your guide data to TV Guide which is powered by Rovi.

http://www.tvguide.com/listings/
Alright - quick compare (remoted in...) shows description different than what tvguide has.

I suppose a "clean" (zip 00000) approach would be best to rid it completely of the cruft, but I'm not up for a full 10k channel mess and another (possible, but seemingly unlikely) scheduled recordings rebuild.

*IF* this is really using epg123's info now (as it seems to be), is there harm in leaving it "as is" and stopping its auto download of (MS/rovi) guide data every night?
I have disabled it for now.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:51 pm

There's a lot of tell-tale signs that you can tell, but I think the easiest is to look at the details of any program. There will be a language identifier at the bottom. MS/Rovi will say English (United States), while EPG123 will just say English.

Or you can wait a few days and install v1.1.0 which will give you the ability to see exactly what is providing guide listings for each channel in the 'Subscribed Lineup' column.
subscribedLineups.png
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

kansanian

Post by kansanian » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:02 pm

garyan2 wrote:There's a lot of tell-tale signs that you can tell, but I think the easiest is to look at the details of any program. There will be a language identifier at the bottom. MS/Rovi will say English (United States), while EPG123 will just say English.

Or you can wait a few days and install v1.1.0 which will give you the ability to see exactly what is providing guide listings for each channel in the 'Subscribed Lineup' column.
subscribedLineups.png
This is perfect. Thanks! Confirmed it's just "English" :)
For now, I'm just leaving auto download of guide updates disabled in WMC, rather than full rebuild. I assume that, after a couple weeks, it'll be "clean enough" from the old data. Maybe if I ever get a few few hours to really sit down with it, I'll go through a fully "clean" setup. Right now, way too much going on with life etc.

Will wait for the next version, and see how that works out.

Will also send a (2nd!) little donation when I get a moment.