Questions about EPG123

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
dmike1379

HTPC Specs: Show details

Questions about EPG123

Post by dmike1379 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:27 am

It looks like EPG123 is a viable option. If there is no fix by 2/5/17. I will give EPG123 a try, before trying another PVR program.

[Moderator note: split topic]

3ton

Post by 3ton » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:00 am

When the guide works, I have missed recordings because it is new and the guide says it old or indifferent. The info for each listing is missing more than I like. If I have to go to EPG123 can anyone tell me if the actual guide data is any better?

vaju0503

Post by vaju0503 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:21 am

From what I've seen it works better than wmc guide but you have to pay for a subscription for the guide listings. I've tried to get it to work with my hdhomerun prime with cable card but can't seem to get it to import the listings.

If someone has it working let me know how you did it...

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:36 am

3ton wrote:When the guide works, I have missed recordings because it is new and the guide says it old or indifferent. The info for each listing is missing more than I like. If I have to go to EPG123 can anyone tell me if the actual guide data is any better?
Yes, the guide data is almost perfect and it's worth every penny.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:37 am

vaju0503 wrote:I've tried to get it to work with my hdhomerun prime with cable card but can't seem to get it to import the listings.

MANY of us have it working. Start a new thread in the EPG123 sub-forum and include as much information as possible so we can help.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewforum.php?f=99

3ton

Post by 3ton » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:00 am

vaju0503 wrote:From what I've seen it works better than WMC guide but you have to pay for a subscription for the guide listings. I've tried to get it to work with my hdhomerun prime with cable card but can't seem to get it to import the listings.

How much is the subscription and is it per wmc or one for all? Thanks by the way.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:36 am

3ton wrote:
vaju0503 wrote:From what I've seen it works better than WMC guide but you have to pay for a subscription for the guide listings. I've tried to get it to work with my hdhomerun prime with cable card but can't seem to get it to import the listings.

How much is the subscription and is it per WMC or one for all? Thanks by the way.
"The cost of membership is currently US$25/year, with a 7 day free trial. A 2 month membership is also available for US$6 for those who do not wish to commit to an entire year."

I believe it's one subscription per person; and as many WMC systems as you want.

http://schedulesdirect.org/

rmeden

Post by rmeden » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:07 am

Scallica wrote: "The cost of membership is currently US$25/year, with a 7 day free trial. A 2 month membership is also available for US$6 for those who do not wish to commit to an entire year."

I believe it's one subscription per person; and as many WMC systems as you want.

http://schedulesdirect.org/
It's one subscription per household, no specified limit on the number of systems. (WMC, MythTV, whatever). If we detect something strange, we'll let you know. (happens very rarely). A kid in college and a vacation home are still considered your household.

Robert
Schedules Direct
XMLTV

paulsaz@gmail.com

Post by paulsaz@gmail.com » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:02 pm

I'm getting tired of the Rovi guide issues, but my system has a HD Home Run Prime plus 3 OTA tuners in on Windows 8.1 box. Will this be an easy setup using epg123?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:54 pm

EPG123 doesn't have a problem handling both cable lineups and OTA lineups at the same time. There have been reported problems on getting the HomeRun Primes be active and recognized by WMC after Step 1, but for the most part the fix action is resetting the tuners and/or rebooting the computer.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:55 pm

I have 2 primes and a dual OTA tuner card in my setup. Installation is pretty painless except I needed to rerun the OTA channel scan a couple of times to get all the UHF channels into my guide (a quirk of my tuners I suspect) and as the installation guide notes had to manually add the VHF OTA channels as they aren't scanned for. And as Gary notes, I had to reboot my system after setting up EPG123 to get it to find the tuners when trying to watch a cable channel.

paulsaz@gmail.com

Post by paulsaz@gmail.com » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:42 pm

Do the subchannls have guide info? Currently with Rovi? I don't get the info for the subs, ie AntennaTV, etc.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:06 pm

paulsaz@gmail.com wrote:Do the subchannls have guide info? Currently with Rovi? I don't get the info for the subs, ie AntennaTV, etc.
Yes All my subchannels have guide data. This could of course depend on your particular location as well. Note however, that Schedules Direct is quite responsive in correcting guide errors/omissions. A quick way to verify if you would get subchannel data from SD is to check if the zap2it listings on the net have the subchannel data for your area.

paulsaz@gmail.com

Post by paulsaz@gmail.com » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:32 pm

Thanks zap2it shows all of Phoenix and Tucson channels and sub in my zip code.