EPG123 Initial Setup Issues

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
vaju0503

HTPC Specs: Show details

EPG123 Initial Setup Issues

Post by vaju0503 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:21 am

So I'm new to using EPG. Here is my setup I have the hdhomerun prime with cable card and have comcast cable. Windows EPG is on the fritz lately so I want to try this out but get confused when trying to get it to work. I understand just about all the documentation but must be doing something wrong as my guide isn't working.

I have my account setup and can get the listings in EPG but am struggling with how to get that into wmc. I tried and it removed everything. A little help would be awesome!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:41 am

vaju0503 wrote:So I'm new to using EPG. Here is my setup I have the hdhomerun prime with cable card and have comcast cable. Windows EPG is on the fritz lately so I want to try this out but get confused when trying to get it to work. I understand just about all the documentation but must be doing something wrong as my guide isn't working.

I have my account setup and can get the listings in EPG but am struggling with how to get that into WMC. I tried and it removed everything. A little help would be awesome!
Could you post the contents of your trace.log file in the epg123 folder? This will help immensely. Don't forget to encapsulate the contents in

Code: Select all

[/ Code].
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

vaju0503

Post by vaju0503 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:36 am

Sure I'll try to do it. I think i may have missed a step anyways so I need to try again after I decline the MS EPG in tv setup how do I finish the process? It seems to just hang... I'll post a screenshot if it helps.

Then I read something about mapping channels how is that done?

vaju0503

Post by vaju0503 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:21 pm

This is where media center gets hung up when trying to finish the TV Setup...

EDIT: Nevermind I let it sit long enough and it finally finished must be because it added 10000 channels... Running EPG123 again to see if it cleaned up the channels and imported guide listings. If this does work I'll likely end up paying for the SD subscription just so I dont have to deal with MSFT's crappy guide. It always seems to record shows that aren't new even though I have it set to only record new shows... We'll see if EPG123 fixes that issue :)

One more question so it seems that WMC still cuts the guide off after 6 or 7 days, I selected to load guide data for 14 days... When I start scrolling in the guide it only goes to about 2/8... Is that normal even though I've requested to load for 14 days?

2nd EDIT: Guess I need to be more patient it still seems to be loading those extra days :).

vaju0503

Post by vaju0503 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:52 pm

So my kids like to record some shows on MTV like Catfish, Teen Mom etc... However when I set it to record in the scheduler it wants to record all the reruns even when I have it set to record new only. I have the NEW override flag set as well... Are these shows coming across with the NEW flag set in data? If so it'd be nice if they could clean those up! Certain days of the week it records up to 10 episodes which i know aren't all new...

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:30 pm

vaju0503 wrote:So my kids like to record some shows on MTV like Catfish, Teen Mom etc... However when I set it to record in the scheduler it wants to record all the reruns even when I have it set to record new only. I have the NEW override flag set as well... Are these shows coming across with the NEW flag set in data? If so it'd be nice if they could clean those up! Certain days of the week it records up to 10 episodes which i know aren't all new...
By default, if a show does not have specific episode information (is generic only), WMC will schedule to recording the program until it is updated with specific information to evaluate. This may be the case on some of these shows ... I would have to download a MTV station to take a look.

If it is the NEW flag causing problems, which would be a first for me, you can verify by pulling up one of those episodes and look at the Original Air Date. If it is a date in the past, then it is generic. If it is the same day as the showing, then it could be the NEW flag or is actually a NEW episode - which I doubt based on your description. You could run epg123 with the NEW flag override de-selected and see if that changes ... it won't harm anything and you can easily go back.

This could also be a matter of not waiting long enough for the reindex task to complete which can take a while on the first load depending on how many stations you downloaded. If in the guide, you go left and Search by Title, you may see a banner stating "Search results may be incomplete because the Guide listings are still being indexed." ... the reindex task is still running.
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:43 pm

Looking here:
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/catfish ... aid=zap2it

I see that most episodes have episode specific information, so they should not record when the Series is set to "New"-only.

However if you look on 2/13, 2/14, 2/15, 2/16, & 2/17 you will see several episodes labeled "No Episode Title". These are episodes that do not yet have episode specific information (ESI) in the guide. The guide only knows that this show will air at this time, but does not know what specific episode will air.

Since WMC does not know if those episodes are new or not, it will play it safe and schedule them to record. If these episodes are updated with ESI before air time, then they will be removed from the list of episodes to be recorded (assuming they are not new episodes), and will not actually be recorded.

You will see this a lot for shows that are airing more than 7 or so days in the future since the network may not yet know what specific episode they will air, but for the most part they will update with ESI before the air time.

If you are seeing other episodes scheduled to record (ones that have ESI or have it on zap2it but not WMC) then it is a separate problem (perhaps WMC has not yet updated to match the changes that are seen on zap2it).

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:48 pm

vaju0503 wrote:So my kids like to record some shows on MTV like Catfish, Teen Mom etc... However when I set it to record in the scheduler it wants to record all the reruns even when I have it set to record new only. I have the NEW override flag set as well... Are these shows coming across with the NEW flag set in data? If so it'd be nice if they could clean those up! Certain days of the week it records up to 10 episodes which i know aren't all new...
I just downloaded MTVHD and took a look with the NEW flag override set. It's showing Catfish is all Repeats (and not scheduled for recording) up until 13 February. At that point, all the programs are generic and are default to record until they get specific episode information. Think of these Generic episodes as placeholders until the real information arrives. This is how WMC works and is not controlled by EPG123.
- Gary

vaju0503

Post by vaju0503 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:11 pm

So once the information gets updated from the source that will trigger the update in WMC and will stop the recording from occurring?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:24 pm

vaju0503 wrote:So once the information gets updated from the source that will trigger the update in WMC and will stop the recording from occurring?
Correct. Once the information is updated to identify NEW or REPEAT, it will be scheduled appropriately. Until then, it will be scheduled to record to be on the safe side (record a repeat vs. skip a new).
- Gary

vaju0503

Post by vaju0503 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:10 pm

Alright, I'll let it work for the next few days and see if that episode information gets filled in, because I really dont want it to record all day on next saturday and have to delete all the crap cuz it's all old.

vaju0503

Post by vaju0503 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:51 pm

If I want to change my channel lineup selection in EPG123 do I have to reset all my scheduled recordings? When I initially set it up I entered my zip and picked the provider I thought I had, but I think I should have chosen a different city... As of right now it doesn't make a difference as the city I live in and the city I chose have the same channel lineups and channel numbers. Just curious if I ended up picking the right city's lineup if I'd have to reschedule all my series again? I tried clearing out my history and restoring my scheduled series with Mcbackup 3.0 which works if I keep the same "provider" selected but when I tried to do it while changing the "provider" it failed to schedule records for my series.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:03 pm

Since both lineups have the same channels, won't be a problem. The program ID, service ID (station), and channel number are all the same. The lineup that a scheduled recording is from isn't recorded.
- Gary