Some questions about setup

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
jwaltrip

HTPC Specs: Show details

Some questions about setup

Post by jwaltrip » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:29 pm

I have WMC on Windows 7, with a HDHOMERUN Prime.

I ran into an issue where WMC was not updating the guide, and after having the same issues after a complete reinstall of Windows, I decided to try this. Also, nio impressed with Rovi

1. Followed instructions to install
2. Deal with HDROMERUN issues due to clearing config.
3. Set up WMC as documentation states.
4. Set up EPG123 as documentation states.
5. ran EPG123 per documentation (pretty sure)

results:
1. 10,000 channels in WMC
2. No information.

I the ran Lineup selector, and chose the new lineup, and then all was well as far as information. I now have correct info for all of my channels.
However... 10,000 channels? I was able to unselect everything, and then select ONLY the channels I want to watch. However, is there any way to shrink this only to the channels that EPG123 is downloading for?

Also, are there any flaws in what I did? Why didn't this work completely, why did I have to download lineup selector (not in EPG123 docs)?

thanks much for the time and effort that has been put into this.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:14 pm

You did good except for the end. The stations need to be mapped to the channels to fill the guide which you found out.

Options are:
1) perform a epg123Client.exe -match command to automatically match your downloaded channels to the tuner channels. This will also disable all the channels that do not have matches.
2) configure epg123 to perform automatch on every update by selecting the Automatch checkbox.
3) manually match each channel within WMC by editing the channels
4) use a 3rd party tool such as GuideTool ... (NOTE: the future epg123Client will also provide a GUI interface to do the matches.)

I no longer recommend using Lineup Selector to perform the match, but don't believe there is any harm in doing so, so no worries there.

As far as 10000 channels go, this is a WMC default when the guide ToS is denied for cable/satellite tuners. They can easily be deleted using GuideTool or the future epg123Client.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

jwaltrip

Post by jwaltrip » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:09 am

Thanks for the reply

I downloaded guide tool and indeed it lets me remove channels completely.

I presume that as long as I don't go into TV settings and reconfigure the tuners/guide/etc that the changes will stick.

As to using guide tool to set/change the lineup.... (Which I don't need to do that this time).... I did not see a way to get it to load the lineup. am I missing something?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:24 am

jwaltrip wrote:Thanks for the reply

I downloaded guide tool and indeed it lets me remove channels completely.

I presume that as long as I don't go into TV settings and reconfigure the tuners/guide/etc that the changes will stick.

As to using guide tool to set/change the lineup.... (Which I don't need to do that this time).... I did not see a way to get it to load the lineup. am I missing something?
Options 1 & 2 is how EPG123 would get your listings shown in the guide. I think what we're missing is understanding what automatch does.

Automatch finds guide listings for a specific channel and matches/attaches to a guide channel of the same number. Basically, if EPG123 downloaded a station WXIX for channel 13, and you have a tuner channel 13 in your guide, the listings would be attached to that channel so that WXIX is now shown on channel 13.
- Gary

jwaltrip

Post by jwaltrip » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:57 pm

I think I have failed at making myself clear. And I probably need to do some testing to validate my understanding. Sorry if I am slow :)

When I first ran EPF123 and captured the guide, it did not seem to add it to WMC. It was not until I ran Lineup Selector that it updated the WMC guide.

If I understand correctly, there are 3 ways to do this final step. Please let me know if I am wrong

epg123client (have not tried)
GuideTool (I don't see lineups listed, but do see channels)
Lineup Selector (depreciated)

Is that correct?

As to guidetool, I see my channels in it, but I don't see an option to select Lineups.... am I missing something in its setup?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:38 pm

jwaltrip wrote:I think I have failed at making myself clear. And I probably need to do some testing to validate my understanding. Sorry if I am slow :)

When I first ran EPF123 and captured the guide, it did not seem to add it to WMC. It was not until I ran Lineup Selector that it updated the WMC guide.

If I understand correctly, there are 3 ways to do this final step. Please let me know if I am wrong

epg123client (have not tried)
GuideTool (I don't see lineups listed, but do see channels)
Lineup Selector (depreciated)

Is that correct?

As to guidetool, I see my channels in it, but I don't see an option to select Lineups.... am I missing something in its setup?
Sorry, I totally misunderstood. There is a file in the same folder of epg123.exe which logs the configuration and update process called "trace.log". Could you post the contents of that file? You can zip it up and attach it, or copy&paste into a

Code: Select all

encapsulation.
- Gary

jwaltrip

Post by jwaltrip » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:37 pm

I have added log. Also the CFG but without UID and PW hash

So question on GuideTool... When I load it, should I be seeing the lineup information?

Also, I did a test today, and changed the number of days to 21.... I then ran the scheduled task, and when it was done, the guide had 21 days of information. So it appears to be fully functional.

I just want to understand how it works in case I have to rebuild in the future.
epg123jw.zip
(12.49 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:14 am

If I were to guess, your initial run did not have the automatch checkbox selected. Without that on initial run, all the information would have been imported in into WMC but none of the stations were assigned to a channel... all channels empty. Lineup Selector did that assignment for you and you got guide information displayed for each downloaded channel.

The log file you attached was your first run with automatch option selected (and the 21 days) which as evidenced by all the [INFO] Matching ... comments. You will only see those comments on initial matching with epg123. Lineup Selector does things a little different which is why, though they were already matched, we see the matching statements in the log file.

Future rebuilds, you'll just need to remember that some matching still needs to take place. It won't be automatic. The future epg123 version will make this easier to do and understand, but there you have it.
- Gary

jwaltrip

Post by jwaltrip » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:36 am

OK... so everything I need I should be able to do from epg123.

I am setting up a test VM to try out.

Guidetool is useful, do clear out all of the unused or unwanted channels.

Question... is there any impact if I remove a channel using guidetool that is in my lineup? will epg123 just ignore it?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:41 am

jwaltrip wrote:OK... so everything I need I should be able to do from epg123.

I am setting up a test VM to try out.

Guidetool is useful, do clear out all of the unused or unwanted channels.

Question... is there any impact if I remove a channel using guidetool that is in my lineup? will epg123 just ignore it?
EPG123 will still download the channel's listings if it is selected in the GUI, and it will be imported into the WMC database. If using automatch, epg123 will fail to match that channel's listings to the guide channel and move on. It's not so much ignoring the missing channel, rather than failing to match the listings to a channel.
- Gary