Question about the EPG123 cache directory

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
seajunk

HTPC Specs: Show details

Question about the EPG123 cache directory

Post by seajunk » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:24 pm

How often can i clean out the cache directory?
Is it used at all after the creation of the mxf?

The parent directory is part of my backup schedule and I was wondering why i had 30K files more than normal :)

DaveInPa

Post by DaveInPa » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:03 pm

The cache files are used instead of having to re-download information from Schedules Direct. Because of the cache files, you only need to download new guide data instead of all guide data.

You can delete them, but then you'll just have to download the same EPG information again. EPG123 automatically cleans up unneeded cache files each time it's run.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:25 pm

If nothing changes for a given piece of data, EPG123 just loads it from the cache instead of using up resources re-downloading it again. So, yes, the data in the cache folder is used after the mxf is created. Previously downloaded data is cached so that it doesn't have to re-download data that it already downloaded (if it hasn't changed), this is the entire purpose of the cache.

The cache folder is self maintaining, it will delete anything it doesn't need, so there should be no reason to ever clear the cache unless it gets corrupted somehow and you want to re-download everything fresh.

Since the cache folder can be completely re-created from downloading everything again, there is no reason to back it up, so I would just exclude that folder from your backups.

The cache is not required. You could delete the cache after each run of EPG123 and it would still function, but it would have to re-download ALL data each time and it would take much longer to do so and use up more resources on the server and on the network so it is not a good idea.