Duplicate Recordings

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Sammy2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Duplicate Recordings

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:05 pm

In general I have my system set to default to New Only but am picking up occasional duplicate recordings. Is this a data flag issue? If my wife wouldn't delete them sooner than she tells me about them I could tell you what shows they are but I'll keep a look out in the future. I'm posting now just to get some feed back on possibilities and things I can do on my end to prevent this in the future if there is anything I can do..

Charter Digital 92508

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:09 pm

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:12 pm

cwinfield wrote:Have you looked at WMC de dupe http://www.fourteenminutes.com/code/wmc-dedupe/
No. I didn't know this existed until just now and I've been using HTPC since the dawn of Windows 7, 2010 or 2011. I may have run across a mention a while back come to think of it but put that on the "do it later" list.

I need to do that now along with the RecordedTV HD thing too!

On the list. Eventually!!! I have a PC to rebuild and half a dozen other projects going all the time..

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:09 pm

Are both recordings post your change over to EPG123? Or are you re-recording programs you recorded prior to EPG123?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:20 pm

Been using epg123 since March. These are recent AFAIK but maybe not. My wife deletes one of them right away when she sees them so I can't tell. Of course it is always after I'm half asleep when she brings this issue up too.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:36 pm

Well if it's recording duplicates of pre EPG123 recordings that is to be expected. The program ID's are all changed so basically any pre EPG123 recording history is lost. So WMC will re-record things that you recorded earlier. Otherwise, it's likely that there may be some guide data issues and WMC isn't recognizing that something was already recorded. Things could also be affected if you checked the use new flag option during EPG123 setup. Specific examples, etc. might help. For example, I got the pilot episode of "The Good Place" a couple of times but I chalked it up to guide anomalies

Space

Post by Space » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:24 pm

If it is set to "New only" then it is unlikely to be due to the recording history being wiped out, since it wouldn't have an old history of recording an episode that is new.

There is a bug when importing data in to WMC that causes multiple instances of the same episode to be marked to record, but it only happens under certain circumstances. I am not sure exactly what those circumstances are, but I know that I usually see it happen when multiple airings of a show are loaded in to the guide that have just general info (no episode specific information). Then, later on, those airings are updated with episode specific information. In this circumstance (but not all the time), multiple airings of the same episode can continue to be marked to record. They were originally all marked to record due to having generic info (so WMC records them to be safe), but after they are updated with episode specific info, they remain scheduled to record for some unknown reason.

Since this is not related to incorrect data in the feed, it can happen (and has) to both Rovi and Gracenote data. I believe the only way to fix it is to fix the program that imports the .mxf file. Some work has been done on this, but I don't think it is stable.

There may be a way to avoid the bug without a new importer by understanding why it happens, and generating the .mxf file in such a way so that it does not trigger the issue, but I have no idea if that is possible.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:39 pm

I'll tell my wife to not delete the duplicates so I can get a handle on it. She's pretty good with that so long as her plethora of shows don't get bumped due to a full recorder drive. That shouldn't happen because there's about 1.5Tb of space on that drive and she's pretty good about watch and delete. I think using WMC de-dupe is probably a good idea because I don't see Gary's code fixing it anytime soon.

Of course she can just learn to cope with it. As I explained in the other thread, using WMC saves us over $100 per MONTH over Uverse (and Charter doesn't do whole home which is lame) so each month of Charter use with WMC buys an echo.. Heck they're all paid for and paying dividends now. On my Gig network they work great all the time for WMC purposes but switching to the Roku in the Master Bedroom or any other of the rooms with the 5 echos and the playroom with the XBox 360 is one remote click away for everything else.