MCUPDATE fails: nettv package name invalid???

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
DSperber

HTPC Specs: Show details

MCUPDATE fails: nettv package name invalid???

Post by DSperber » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:18 pm

Now that I've got the nightly update for EPG123 1.0.1 properly scheduled and running again, this evening at 2AM it ran as expected. The 2AM run time actually was what I'd set, even though when I pushed the OK button it appeared to be changed to 3AM. I guess that didn't really happen.

Anyway, this evening at 2AM EPG123 did seemingly run, and was successful. The WMC Event Log showed everything went fine.

However 3 hours later WMC MCUPDATE ran (I don't know why, or if this is normal, or if somehow I've got a Guide setting wrong or something), and had an error. I don't know why this occurred, so I'm looking for ideas and/or help.

The first part of MCUPDATE seemed to run fine:

The second part of MCUPDATE failed: unable to retrieve nettv (PackageName invalid)

The final wrapup of this MCUPDATE 45 seconds later reported the problem:

What's the issue?? How do I correct it? Doesn't seem related to the EPG123 update which ran successfully 3 hours earlier, but I don't know.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:25 pm

I think the nettv error is related to the old feature (InternetTV) that was removed (Drama, Sports, Etc). I get the same error using Rovi. I remember seeing the InternetTV channel list somewhere, maybe on my Win7 box, with a Ceton InfiniTV4. As I recall, the channel numbers for InternetTV are 9006, 9004, 900?, etc.

I disregard the nettv error. I believe it happens as a result of our EPG trying to download something which does not exist.

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:46 pm

Thanks very much for the insight. I will disregard as you suggest.

I just happened to be very attentive yesterday after having discovered I'd somehow overlooked noticing that somehow I'd left un-checked the "run scheduled task nightly" box on my EPG123 configuration. I felt like an idiot, since I'd been manually running EPG123.exe every so often during the day to hopefully get my schedule up-to-date with the latest data (which of course always worked fine). Never could figure out why this wasn't happening as I know it used to. Somewhere along the line (perhaps when official 1.0.0 went in) I must have somehow un-checked the box, or perhaps it was delivered un-checked and I just didn't notice it.

Anyway, early yesterday I noticed the Green Button in the system tray and when I hovered the mouse over it there was a flyout message about "MCUpdate has had an error, will retry at 9/18 5:25PM" or similar. That's when I began investigating and looked in the WMC Log and discovered what I posted from the 5:25AM MCUpdate run.

Whatever... does seem to be benign. I will look further to see if it ever DOES run normally (e.g. at 5:25PM today). I wonder why the Green Button in the system tray ever disappears on its own.

Thanks again.

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:24 am

The re-scheduled next execution also produced the same error. And the Green Button icon once again appeared in the system tray.

I looked at my Settings, and think I know how to eliminate this. Since Guide data update is automatically happening via EPG123, there's no need to want WMC to do anything. I don't know if this was overlooked in the EPG123 installation instructions, or if I just missed doing it or thinking about it.

Anyway, Settings -> General -> Automatic download options, UN-CHECK both items (they previously had both been checked, no doubt left over from my pre-EPG123 days and apparently retained even after deleting the \ehome directory and following all the other EPG123 install steps):

We shall see tomorrow if I no longer have any MCUPDATE activity in my logs.

DaveInPa

Post by DaveInPa » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:10 pm

It's good to uncheck the bottom box, but I leave the top box checked (DVD, Movie information, etc.)

With the top box checked, it provides reviews for movies along with normal information about movies (cast & crew, synopsis, etc.)

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:56 pm

DaveInPa wrote:It's good to uncheck the bottom box, but I leave the top box checked (DVD, Movie information, etc.)
I thought this was still required even though EPG123 is now handling the guide data. This update includes other things which may still receive updates.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:09 am

In passing, I mention that the last "nettv filename invalid" error I had was on 9/18. It did say it was rescheduling for 12 hours later.

Since un-checking both of these occurred after the error and before the 12 hours had elapsed, in fact the presumed re-scheduled retry actually never was performed.

And in fact, this error has not appeared in the past two days, and of course nor has the Green Button icon appeared in the System Tray indicating an event error. I haven't noticed anything else not working properly. For whatever reason nettv is no longer valid, un-checking the two WMC nightly regular update options so that it's just no longer performed does seem to have done the trick.

I've checked the EPG123 log and for the past two days it's running every night successfully at the 2AM time I'd specified.

tommyboy3816

Post by tommyboy3816 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:11 pm

I see those same errors in my Event Viewer but I dont have any new guide data past 9/27/2016 at 7pm CDT. I've been trying to download it via the WMC interface but i keep getting these errors. Anyone else having this issue?

RyC

Post by RyC » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:07 pm

The nettv package name invalid error message has NOTHING to do with the guide data issue. It will ALWAYS appear even when you are properly getting guide data. It's just a cosmetic error that has no bearing on whether WMC is updating correctly or incorrectly. Please see here for the latest on the current guide data issue: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 96&t=10345

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:01 pm

Half of the WMC World gets the NetTV error, the other half, don't know what an error is.

I thought I did a fairly good job of explaining the error in Post 2. Do we need to elaborate, make the text bigger or maybe a different color?

webminster

Post by webminster » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:11 pm

tommyboy3816 wrote:I see those same errors in my Event Viewer but I dont have any new guide data past 9/27/2016 at 7pm CDT. I've been trying to download it via the WMC interface but i keep getting these errors. Anyone else having this issue?
Are you really using EPG123, since this is the EPG123 thread? Are you using the half-in mixed Rovi/EGP123 install? You can't trigger the EPG123 run through the WMC "Download" options, you have to do that outside WMC (GUI or command prompt). If you're not using EPG123, check the thread in the parent subforum about Rovi/MS ongoing issues.
-Alan

tommyboy3816

Post by tommyboy3816 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:16 pm

webminster wrote:
tommyboy3816 wrote:I see those same errors in my Event Viewer but I dont have any new guide data past 9/27/2016 at 7pm CDT. I've been trying to download it via the WMC interface but i keep getting these errors. Anyone else having this issue?
Are you really using EPG123, since this is the EPG123 thread? Are you using the half-in mixed Rovi/EGP123 install? You can't trigger the EPG123 run through the WMC "Download" options, you have to do that outside WMC (GUI or command prompt). If you're not using EPG123, check the thread in the parent subforum about Rovi/MS ongoing issues.
The name of this thread is "MCUPDATE fails: nettv package name invalid???"

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:14 pm

tommyboy3816 wrote:
The name of this thread is "MCUPDATE fails: nettv package name invalid???"
True enough, but it's in the EPG123 sub-forum.

So the symptom being discussed here is why this error WMC-caused situation is occurring when using EPG123 where we actually don't expect any official WMC nightly "pull" updating for Guide data since EPG123 "pushes" updated Guide data into WMC via its own nightly scheduled update task.

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:27 pm

DaveInPa wrote:It's good to uncheck the bottom box, but I leave the top box checked (DVD, Movie information, etc.)

With the top box checked, it provides reviews for movies along with normal information about movies (cast & crew, synopsis, etc.)
I still have both boxes un-checked. And I don't seem to be missing any significant information that you say is tied to the first box being checked. I suspect the equivalent information is being delivered by Schedules Direct. Is there actually a difference, and if so is it really significant?

If I were to check the first box, will this WMC-retrieved data overlay and erase the already-present SD-provided data? Will I be pleased with this alternative data content, or is the SD-provided data perfectly adequate?

I guess I could try this for myself for a few days and see what happens.

DaveInPa

Post by DaveInPa » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:42 pm

Checking the box for movie/DVD info/cover art/etc. provides movies reviews and I think "similar movies". You can definitely live without it. Your preference.

It doesn't interfere or contaminate the Schedules Direct guide data at all. I've been importing Schedules Direct guide data since before EPG123 and this checkbox doesn't affect the guide.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:58 pm

DSperber wrote:And in fact, this error has not appeared in the past two days, and of course nor has the Green Button icon appeared in the System Tray indicating an event error. I haven't noticed anything else not working properly. For whatever reason nettv is no longer valid, un-checking the two WMC nightly regular update options so that it's just no longer performed does seem to have done the trick.
As mentioned previously, the mcupdate download task checks for updates to other things above and beyond EPG data. The update packages include:

SportsSchedule
SportsV2
NetTV
MCEClientMaintenance
NetworkMetadata
ClientUpdate
MCESpotlight
MCEClientUX
Broadband

These are not EPG. In some regions some of these packages have been discontinued. In the UK both NetTV and the two Sports packages are discontinued. Most of the other packages are however still checked.

I doubt we are likely to see any significant updates released, but we might. If you have the download option disabled then you won't get any future package updates. Leaving the option enabled doesn't effect EPG123 so long as you declined Microsoft EPG updates during TV setup as detailed in the EPG123 instructions.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1