EPG123 install, but WMC guide errors on setup

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
stuartm

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by stuartm » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:06 am

Assuming you told EPG123 to set up the daily update task when you set up EPG123 (If you didn't then you need to do so). Then you should check the task in task manager and be sure it has run with highest privileges checked. If it doesn't then set it via task manager. The 1.0.1 version did not set that flag when I set up EPG123 and I had to do it manually.

MarkJohnson

Post by MarkJohnson » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:01 pm

I don't see epg123 in task manager at all!?

I even rebooted my PC and it still doesn't show up.

I looked under Processes and Services of task manager.

How do I get epg123 to start up with my with my computer?

I'm using epg123 v1.0

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:08 pm

You seem to not have created the scheduled task via the EPG123 configuration GUI. If you start up the GUI, in the lower left corner you can see the details of the scheduled task. If you have created the task there will be a delete button, otherwise there is a create button. Unless the task has been created you won't get automatic updates to your guide. The task will wake up your computer if it is sleeping (assuming you checked that option) and perform a guide update at the time you specified. If you power your computer off, then the update won't run.
IIRC you need to have clicked the login button in the GUI before the task can be created.

MarkJohnson

Post by MarkJohnson » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:53 pm

stuartm wrote:You seem to not have created the scheduled task via the EPG123 configuration GUI. If you start up the GUI, in the lower left corner you can see the details of the scheduled task. If you have created the task there will be a delete button, otherwise there is a create button. Unless the task has been created you won't get automatic updates to your guide. The task will wake up your computer if it is sleeping (assuming you checked that option) and perform a guide update at the time you specified. If you power your computer off, then the update won't run.
IIRC you need to have clicked the login button in the GUI before the task can be created.
Yeah, I seen that after I posted, I searched for auto updating and read it was in the editor. I fired it up and seen no auto-update button, I then re-read the install guide and I ist the last step of enabling auto-updates.

I created the schedule, plus exited and saved and it redidi the save configuration. I hope it is OK to do that.

Also, I was going to update to v1.0.1, but I see no guide on how to do a proper upgrade from one version of epg123 to the next.

It is a new folder, or overwrite the old folder? Backup or save anything?

Thanks again for your guy's help.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:00 pm

MarkJohnson wrote:
Also, I was going to update to v1.0.1, but I see no guide on how to do a proper upgrade from one version of epg123 to the next.

It is a new folder, or overwrite the old folder? Backup or save anything?

Thanks again for your guy's help.
Yeah, I raised that issue in the bugs thread. I suspect Gary will fix that in an upcoming release. However, if you copy any binaries (.exe's and .dll's) from the new release over the ones in the old release it seems to work fine. (at least that's what I did to update from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1)

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:30 am

Sorry, been out-of-pocket all day.

Thanks, stuartm for helping out with this. To answer all? questions ...
MarkJohnson wrote:I created the schedule, plus exited and saved and it redidi the save configuration. I hope it is OK to do that.
The configuration and the scheduled task are two completely separated functions. There is no harm in saving the configuration after creating/deleting/changing the scheduled task.
stuartm wrote:Yeah, I raised that issue in the bugs thread. I suspect Gary will fix that in an upcoming release. However, if you copy any binaries (.exe's and .dll's) from the new release over the ones in the old release it seems to work fine. (at least that's what I did to update from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1)
I will put something in the guide on how to update, but yes ... the user only needs to overwrite the old files with the new files. The only thing that needs to stay is the configuration file (epg123.cfg). The cache directory and image xml file will be rebuilt if necessary on next run.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

MarkJohnson

Post by MarkJohnson » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:10 am

garyan2 wrote:Sorry, been out-of-pocket all day.

Thanks, stuartm for helping out with this. To answer all? questions ...
MarkJohnson wrote:I created the schedule, plus exited and saved and it redidi the save configuration. I hope it is OK to do that.
The configuration and the scheduled task are two completely separated functions. There is no harm in saving the configuration after creating/deleting/changing the scheduled task.
stuartm wrote:Yeah, I raised that issue in the bugs thread. I suspect Gary will fix that in an upcoming release. However, if you copy any binaries (.exe's and .dll's) from the new release over the ones in the old release it seems to work fine. (at least that's what I did to update from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1)
I will put something in the guide on how to update, but yes ... the user only needs to overwrite the old files with the new files. The only thing that needs to stay is the configuration file (epg123.cfg). The cache directory and image xml file will be rebuilt if necessary on next run.
Would a reboot be required after copying files to update services or something?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:14 am

MarkJohnson wrote:Would a reboot be required after copying files to update services or something?
Not at all. Epg123 does not reside in memory or run as a service. It is just a simple little executable that does its thing and releases all resources when done.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io