Channel 5 HD suddenly missing cannot see it in SD List

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
camelopardis

HTPC Specs: Show details

Channel 5 HD suddenly missing cannot see it in SD List

Post by camelopardis » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:12 am

HI Guys - got a strange problem today. I definately had CH5 HD setup in my guide (UK Freesat) but this morning it was missing. I had it manually setup as channel number 5 in the guide, but the guide now just goes from channel 4 to channel 6, missing it out. I have checked through the entire rest of my guide, including my unchecked (disabled) channels but its not there. I have also tried rescanning for it with a single transponder scan but its not finding it (it certainly found it before - normally when it wont find a channel again its becuase the channel already exists)

I then tried searching for the guide listings in EPG123 and the channel appears to be missing in the lineup (UK Freesat England). It should be Channel 105 in that list (I think the channel callsign should be CH5HD. Anyone else seeing this?

rkulagow

Post by rkulagow » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:35 pm

Please open a ticket at the Schedules Direct website so that I can escalate upstream if necessary.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:54 pm

For what it's worth, it is still there on the UK Freeview line up.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

camelopardis

Post by camelopardis » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:03 pm

thanks rkulagow - I will raise a ticket shortly.

Even though I can get the guide data back by adding an addtional lineup in EPG123 (I added BSKYB where CH5 and CH5HD are still listed), I still can't get the channel to reappear in the guide :(

Does anyone have any ideas? I really really dont want to have to delete ehome and start again becuase its hours of work in manual scans, renumbering, channel logos etc.

This also raises the issue that if another listing was to disappear from the SD lineup again in the future, would we be in the same situation where the affected channel disappears from the WMC guide and we cant get it back?

rkulagow

Post by rkulagow » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:12 pm

Channel 5 and Channel 5 HD should now be in the lineup. Please let me know if you're not seeing it by opening a ticket at the website.

camelopardis

Post by camelopardis » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:46 pm

thanks rkulagow. I cant check until tomorrow now though becuase I've exceeded my max lineup changes for today

rkulagow

Post by rkulagow » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:44 pm

Please check the email I just sent you.

camelopardis

Post by camelopardis » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:57 pm

thanks very much for very fast response and fix! I can now see the missing listing data (CH5 andCH5 HD) in the Freesat lineup.
Unfortunately I still can't get WMC to find the channel in the guide -it seems to have disappeared into a black hole. A transponder scan returns zero results. Look like I've got to delete eHome and start again - will be doing that Tuesday and I'll report back

camelopardis

Post by camelopardis » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:53 pm

Ok - I set everything up again from scratch today and now all working fine including the missing CH5. However I did some testing (in the early stages!) and found that if you remove a channel listing (by unticking it from EPG123) after its already been assigned to a channel within WMC, then that channel disappears into a black hole and you cant get it back (even if you try a transponder scan).

For example - I did a manual transponder scan for ITV1 HD - that finds 5 channels (all different regions). I renumbered the Anglia region to channel number 5 and assigned the ITV1 HD (London) listing. Then I unticked ITV1 HD (London) listing within the EPG123GUI (simulating it suddenly going missing in SchedulesDirect like CH5 did the other day). Going back into WMC, channel number 5 is now completely missing and there is no sign of the channel anywhere. The remaining 4 ITV1 HD channels I'd scanned for still remain - I hadnt assigned any guide listings to them. Attempting another transponder scan didnt find the missing channel.

This is a bit concerning because if there was a future problem wth SD and an assigned channel temporarily went missing then I currently dont know any other way of fixing the issue without a full WMC reset. None of this is the fault of SD or EPG123 of course - I'm blaming it on Microsoft! :)

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:10 pm

camelopardis wrote:Ok - I set everything up again from scratch today and now all working fine including the missing CH5. However I did some testing (in the early stages!) and found that if you remove a channel listing (by unticking it from EPG123) after its already been assigned to a channel within WMC, then that channel disappears into a black hole and you cant get it back (even if you try a transponder scan).

For example - I did a manual transponder scan for ITV1 HD - that finds 5 channels (all different regions). I renumbered the Anglia region to channel number 5 and assigned the ITV1 HD (London) listing. Then I unticked ITV1 HD (London) listing within the EPG123GUI (simulating it suddenly going missing in SchedulesDirect like CH5 did the other day). Going back into WMC, channel number 5 is now completely missing and there is no sign of the channel anywhere. The remaining 4 ITV1 HD channels I'd scanned for still remain - I hadnt assigned any guide listings to them. Attempting another transponder scan didnt find the missing channel.

This is a bit concerning because if there was a future problem wth SD and an assigned channel temporarily went missing then I currently dont know any other way of fixing the issue without a full WMC reset. None of this is the fault of SD or EPG123 of course - I'm blaming it on Microsoft! :)
I'll take some blame on this, at least until I find out what happened. I had tested this out pretty well a long time ago and you could enable/disable to your hearts content with no issues. I may have broken that in some code cleanup.

There may be a quick release soon if I can determine it was me. I will say, this kind of problem would happen before I even created epg123... in the mean time, don't do that. :)
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

camelopardis

Post by camelopardis » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:38 pm

no - dont think its your code Gary- its a WMC quirk! :) I've done some further testing and it only happens if the channel numbers (within WMC) have been manually changed. If so, and the guide listing disappears, then the channel disappears. However, I've now found out that you can get it back by selecting EDIT CHANNELS - RESTORE DEFAULT. This reverts any channel number changes, any missing channels then reappear (with there original channel numbers), and assigned guide listings are kept. Theres still the minor pain of renumbering the channels again but thats far preferable to a full WMC reset :)
I expect most people would do some renumbering on Freesat becuase you have to scan for the HD channels and WMC then places them at the end of the list with numbers in the 1200s

ps: RESTORE DEFAULT retains any manually scanned channels which is handy

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:12 pm

It might be worth taking a look at Guide Tool if you haven't already. It can aid these sort of guide edits and allows you to backup and restore your customisations.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:50 am

camelopardis wrote:ps: RESTORE DEFAULT retains any manually scanned channels which is handy
I actually never tried that when it has happened to me. Good to know. I think what I'm going to do is try to make this happen on a test setup and see if possibly Guide Editor 2 will help with this.
- Gary

mukki

Post by mukki » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:58 pm

Similar problem happend to me

i added cbbeebies in epg123 and accidently unticked bbc1 for a sec in the process

in Media center bbc1 ( channel 1) disappered into a black hole and could not be viewed and 1 coudn't be replaced with another regions bbc1

had to delete all channells and set up from scratch

I will not be messing with channel line ups too much after this

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:33 am

I was writing basically a list of things epg123 does when a channel is removed from the GUI, but I realized there may be some things I do that actually causes this. I need to know a few specific details about your BBC1.

1) did you create/add this channel manually?
2) what was the original tuner channel number?
3) did you manually renumber the station?

I'll try to recreate whatever you guys have and find out how the channels are being wiped out and blocked.
- Gary

mukki

Post by mukki » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:23 pm

very easy to recreate

close media center

untick a station in epg123, that is mapped to a channel in media center
save and execute

give it a minute

open mediacenter

channel is now gone, and its channel number can't be used,

just did it with UTV

it was 103, but i moved it to 3, and mapped to UTV ireland

all was well till i unticked utv ireland in epg123 and ticked UTV HD instead
now 3 is gone and cant be used

edit... found a cure

download guideeditor
double click on the faulty channels "source channels button"
pick a channel from the list below and click " add as first"
it will be added to the channel number above, now click remove on the old one (now the second)
exit guideeditor
open mediacenter, goto edit channels and tick box beside the channel that was faulty

sorry this is so rough and ready, kids are fighting beside me

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:44 pm

I'm glad you found a way around this, and it confirms some of my suspicion of what is happening, but I don't see this issue on any of my setups and would like to recreate it. That's why I was asking those questions. I need to know how the channel was born, how it was altered, and how it died.

What it looks like to me is when I disconnect epg123 listings from a channel which was the primary (first), I replace it with whatever listings were first in the secondary. If the secondary is invalid/null this may lead to the channel disappearing. I need to be able to create a channel like yours to find a proper solution.
- Gary