Tuner Not Found - Help!

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
NathanP2007

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tuner Not Found - Help!

Post by NathanP2007 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:47 am

Okay so I have a freshly installed Windows 7 machine that I have setup to be my new HTPC. I will use it with my SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime (6cc). I installed the SiliconDust software and setup Windows Media Center (per normal) and everything went smoothly. All 6 of my tuners were found, the Guide data loaded. But I wanted to give EPG123 a shot.

So, I opened their guide and started following the directors. I deleted the program data in Safe Mode. I booted back into normal mode. I open WMC and click on "Live TV Setup" and a box pops up that says "TUNER NOT FOUND." I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the SiliconDust software and it changed nothing. I tried restarting the PC, I tried restarting the Prime box...nothing is fixing the problem.

Help please.

(if it matters I have Comcast cable).

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:12 am

I don't have any experience with CableCARD setup, but seeing how you've hit almost everything else ... you may want to uninstall and reinstall WMC? this should also kick off a new install of PlayReady.

And just to clarify, when you deleted the "program data", you really mean the "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\ehome" directory, right?
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

NathanP2007

Post by NathanP2007 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:27 am

garyan2 wrote:I don't have any experience with CableCARD setup, but seeing how you've hit almost everything else ... you may want to uninstall and reinstall WMC? this should also kick off a new install of PlayReady.

And just to clarify, when you deleted the "program data", you really mean the "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\ehome" directory, right?
Yup that is what I mean. Followed the guide exactly as written.

Update: So far removing and re-adding WMC has worked. I don't get the "NO TUNER FOUND" error box.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:50 am

Is it safe to assume that everything is now up and running? epg123 working fine?
- Gary

NathanP2007

Post by NathanP2007 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:53 am

garyan2 wrote:Is it safe to assume that everything is now up and running? epg123 working fine?
Yup. I mean I only have a day use of it but everything seems right.

I'll add to this post with an edit as to how it went for me to get it all up and running (for anyone later on that reads this to help their similar problem). The guide was a solid foundation but I had to figure a few things out on my own.

Thanks!

Update:

So I followed the Guide in executing the command rd c:\programdata\microsoft\ehome /s /q to remove
the database files. I booted back into Windows (out of safe mode) and when I tried to follow the Guide Step 2 I got a box pop up (inside WMC) that said "TUNER NOT FOUND." I resolved this issue by removing WMC from my PC and then putting it back on. I followed the Guide step 2 and step 3. No where on EPG123, in the Guide or anywhere else did I specifically get informed that I needed to go to https://www.schedulesdirect.org to sign up to utilize EPG123 for the guide data. Now I had a general idea and knew that it wasn't free but it took me a bit to realize what I was supposed to do.

So I signed up on SchedulesDirect.org and input my UN & Pass into EPG123. I followed the Guide instructions for which settings to select in EPG123. I made the mistake of choosing the "cable" version of my cable lineup which only added 99 channels to my WMC Guide. I fixed that by switching to "Digital" and then my 100's and 100's of channels showed up. Before that however it took me a minute to realize I needed to make sure all the channels in my "Lineup" were checked (in their boxes) to add them to my WMC guide.

So far everything is going smoothly. I like the accuracy and detail in my Guide. However I haven't used it long enough to encounter any bugs or problems so that is important. I am also not utilizing the new HTPC as my main TV recording PC yet (so no scheduled recordings).

Hope this helps anyone who has the same problem I did in the future.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:55 am

Sorry, I hadn't realized you updated the initial response, and thanks for the feedback. It's always good to get some fresh eyes on the product ... a lot of us have been living this since the beginning.

I am currently doing quite a bit of editing on the guide to include the Colossus/HDPVR setups, so will be able to address your observations as well. The membership to Schedules Direct is listed as a requirement, so it is very subtle and could certainly be emphasized in the guide. Looking through the instructions again, I see what you mean about checking the boxes to select the stations... definitely need more information/detail on that step. I guess this explains why I've seen some comments about the checkboxes and the 'All' and 'None' buttons.

Again, thank you. This is all good stuff to work with.
- Gary

NathanP2007

Post by NathanP2007 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:04 am

garyan2 wrote:Sorry, I hadn't realized you updated the initial response, and thanks for the feedback. It's always good to get some fresh eyes on the product ... a lot of us have been living this since the beginning.

I am currently doing quite a bit of editing on the guide to include the Colossus/HDPVR setups, so will be able to address your observations as well. The membership to Schedules Direct is listed as a requirement, so it is very subtle and could certainly be emphasized in the guide. Looking through the instructions again, I see what you mean about checking the boxes to select the stations... definitely need more information/detail on that step. I guess this explains why I've seen some comments about the checkboxes and the 'All' and 'None' buttons.

Again, thank you. This is all good stuff to work with.
So glad I could help.

So I haven't double checked but I believe in scheduling the guide data updates (Scheduled Task) you don't get to pick how often except daily, a certain time every day. Right?

So I set it to 13:00 (aka 1pm). So at 1PM every day it (EPG123) automatically opens and loads the set amount of days worth of guide data I selected? (14 days worth of guide data).

(Interesting. I have it set to 1PM but didn't turn on my PC until 4PM. It says in EPG123 that it was last run today at 5PM.)

Thanks.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:20 am

Right, the schedule is set up to be daily. What is not advertised is the task can easily be edited in Task Scheduler to be a different interval.

For the 1300 update, did you check the 'Wake' option? If that is checked, than the computer will supposedly wake up shortly before 1300 to perform the task. If it misses the scheduled time, then it will perform the task as soon as possible.
- Gary

NathanP2007

Post by NathanP2007 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:50 am

garyan2 wrote:Right, the schedule is set up to be daily. What is not advertised is the task can easily be edited in Task Scheduler to be a different interval.

For the 1300 update, did you check the 'Wake' option? If that is checked, than the computer will supposedly wake up shortly before 1300 to perform the task. If it misses the scheduled time, then it will perform the task as soon as possible.
No I didn't check the wake option. I am going to pick a time when my PC is guaranteed to be on.

Can you say the not advertised way to edit the Task Scheduler?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:19 am

Simple enough, really. Just go into Task Scheduler and edit the epg123_update task. You can modify just about everything from the GUI except surprisingly the task priority. The priority takes another method.
taskTriggers.png
- Gary

NathanP2007

Post by NathanP2007 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:21 am

Thanks!

So another question for you regarding EPG123;

I still get the Green button in my icon tray every once in a while (that signifies the updating of WMC). Yesterday I got it and it said it encountered an error, as seen here. Now it can't be updating from the Microsoft servers because I followed the EGP guide instructions and declined the TOS Policy for Microsofts guide data. So is it popping up showing the updating of the EPG123/Schedules Direct data? Or should I click the option (when I right click on the Green button) to turn it off?

Thanks!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:48 am

NathanP2007 wrote:Thanks!

I still get the Green button in my icon tray every once in a while (that signifies the updating of WMC). Yesterday I got it and it said it encountered an error, as seen here. Now it can't be updating from the Microsoft servers because I followed the EGP guide instructions and declined the TOS Policy for Microsofts guide data. So is it popping up showing the updating of the EPG123/Schedules Direct data? Or should I click the option (when I right click on the Green button) to turn it off?

Thanks!
WMC will still do its periodic updates unless you turn it off. Since there is no subscribed guide, then that will not be a part of it. Most of the errors I see during the updates is for the nettv package which appears to be a hit or miss.

Allowing the updates to run does no harm, so the choice is really yours.
- Gary

NathanP2007

Post by NathanP2007 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:50 am

garyan2 wrote:
NathanP2007 wrote:Thanks!

Thanks!
WMC will still do its periodic updates unless you turn it off. Since there is no subscribed guide, then that will not be a part of it. Most of the errors I see during the updates is for the nettv package which appears to be a hit or miss.

Allowing the updates to run does no harm, so the choice is really yours.
What is it updating if it isn't updating the guide data? If it doesn't do any harm I'll probably just leave it.

webminster

Post by webminster » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:08 am

The mcupdate tasks do more than just download/apply Guide data. Occasionally the runs do database maintenance, cleanups. There's still value in letting those tasks run.
-Alan