New Release of EPG123

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
rimmel

HTPC Specs: Show details

New Release of EPG123

Post by rimmel » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:37 pm

[Question} When you put up a new release of epg123 can I just extract the executable from the zip archive and copy it over the old executable in the current epg123 directory and use the existing cache directory and config file. Or must I delete all the old stuff and begin anew.

[Suggestion] This brings up something I've been mulling over for a while now. Maybe garyan2 would consider providing epg123 with a standard type installation. This could do many things for epg123. I can think of a few: (1) remove old epg123 execs, cache, config file, etc if needed before replacing with new stuff; (2) insure that the appropriate .Net framework is installed and even initiate the installation of one if not; (3) install the win7 or win 8 version of epg123 depending upon the target OS (implies a single setup.exe or msi file); (4) place an epg123 icon(s) on the desktop; (5) place epg123 entries in the start menu; (6) place epg123 execs and dlls under the program files directory (x86 or 64-bit); (7) place cache and config file under the ProgramData directory. There may be other things that a standard installation could accomplish that would make epg123 easier to use. Along with a standard installation an uninstall program could wipe epg123 from the target OS so that the user could perform a completely fresh installation.

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:10 pm

Just overwrite epg123.exe with the new file. Your configuration and cache will not be affected.

IMO your suggestions actually make the program more complicated than it needs to be. It's already as simple as it gets. Why change it?

rimmel

Post by rimmel » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:52 pm

Yes! My suggestion would make the software more complicated. But users especially neophytes would not have to extract execs from zip archives and copy over existing execs as DOS4EVER replied. They would just double click a setup.exe and it is done for them. In my opinion, the prime directive of software development is always make it as simple as possible for the user. Even at the expense of more sophisticated software.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:43 am

This is a total guess, but personally I'd think anyone using Media Center (especially at this point) isn't going to be bothered by having to do that.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:42 am

I toyed around with the idea a bit, particularly for number 3 ... would like to get away from creating 2 packages depending on OS. I've stayed away from doing an installation package simply because I have never done one before and don't know how. I also don't think it is really necessary since epg123 is as simple as it is. What I will probably do though, is make it a self-extracting zip file. The shortcuts would be nice (GUI and trace.log file), but everything else would be serious overkill and possibly unnecessary.

There really is no install or uninstall of epg123. It just creates the mxf file and imports into the database using native programs.

I'm not saying "No," but I am certainly saying "Not right now" since I have some things to learn about creating installation packages.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:50 pm

I have experience with Installshield, and also using the Visual Studio installer projects if you need any help. That being said, I agree with you that it's not really necessary for this application.

glorp

Post by glorp » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:20 pm

Right now I can download an EPG123 upgrade zip at one common computer and update 3 HTPC clients and a server which gets/creates the master MXF file for all of them by unzipping the EPG123 .exes and dropping the new version file into the remote computer's EPG directory. With an installer I have to log on to each computer and run the install program unless I resort to remote desktop, which I hate because it force logs off my admin account active on any remote, and which isn't an option at all for the server.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:16 pm

I would personally prefer Gary to keep available time focussed on the app itself. 2c.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:17 am

^ prescient that was. I just got OBE on the Colossus effort and need to redouble my efforts on that. Any consideration of an installation package is going to take a back seat.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:41 pm

The current implementation is perfect for running epg123 as it allows updating the *.exe to the latest version from a remote session without having to prevent someone watching the HTPC while the app is easily updated from another room, city, state or country.