WMC updating the guide outside EPG123?

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Sammy2

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC updating the guide outside EPG123?

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:52 pm

For whatever reason but probably unrelated to epg123, I had a crash of WMC on my HTPC this morining and when I went to look at the log, I noticed that WMC indicates it updated the guide yesterday whereas in other logs it just says the epg is up to date. Here's a screen shot of the log.
epgupdate.JPG

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:48 pm

Isn't Mcupdate useless now because of EPG123? I have it disabled in task scheduler.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:41 pm

I get some crashes every once in a while and it is typically when WMC was left open when mcupdate does garbage collection. Don't know if that is your case or not. I also frequently get crashes when a member of my family decides to leave the tuner on and turn all my equipment off (TV and AVR). I think things get complicated with the graphics card when there is no more HDMI handshaking going on.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:46 pm

garyan2 wrote:I get some crashes every once in a while and it is typically when WMC was left open when mcupdate does garbage collection. Don't know if that is your case or not. I also frequently get crashes when a member of my family decides to leave the tuner on and turn all my equipment off (TV and AVR). I think things get complicated with the graphics card when there is no more HDMI handshaking going on.
I have four echos and the HTPC itself. All my Harmony Remotes are set to stop and return to the guide page before shutting the display off but I don't exit WMC or shutdown the extenders because that causes issues on start up sometimes, or is slow to start mainly. The family will sometimes not point the remote at the equipment for the time period required for everything to start up or shut down but then complain that things aren't quite right.. At any rate, it could be any number of things yielding this crash, but my system is mainly stable.

Any comment on the guide update showing there in the log?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:58 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
garyan2 wrote:I get some crashes every once in a while and it is typically when WMC was left open when mcupdate does garbage collection. Don't know if that is your case or not. I also frequently get crashes when a member of my family decides to leave the tuner on and turn all my equipment off (TV and AVR). I think things get complicated with the graphics card when there is no more HDMI handshaking going on.
I have four echos and the HTPC itself. All my Harmony Remotes are set to stop and return to the guide page before shutting the display off but I don't exit WMC or shutdown the extenders because that causes issues on start up sometimes, or is slow to start mainly. The family will sometimes not point the remote at the equipment for the time period required for everything to start up or shut down but then complain that things aren't quite right.. At any rate, it could be any number of things yielding this crash, but my system is mainly stable.

Any comment on the guide update showing there in the log?
If you notice, there is pretty much no time involved in its "update". Since we trick WMC into thinking we accepted the TOS, it will still try to update the guide, but it has no guide ID to download. Basically it successfully updated nothing as required.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

glorp

Post by glorp » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:14 pm

DOS4EVER wrote:Isn't Mcupdate useless now because of EPG123? I have it disabled in task scheduler.
That's not good. If you use EPG123, you can and should still run the mcupdate task. It will run every day or every 5 days depending on what you then do with the internal WMC options for doing downloads, but either way it will do periodic garbage collection on the guide database as long as mcupdate can run. Disabling mcupdate allows the database to grow unchecked. When you decline the MS Guide T&C you effectively prevent mcupdate from getting Rovi Guide as Gary says in this thread.

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:06 am

glorp wrote:
DOS4EVER wrote:Isn't Mcupdate useless now because of EPG123? I have it disabled in task scheduler.
That's not good. If you use EPG123, you can and should still run the mcupdate task. It will run every day or every 5 days depending on what you then do with the internal WMC options for doing downloads, but either way it will do periodic garbage collection on the guide database as long as mcupdate can run. Disabling mcupdate allows the database to grow unchecked. When you decline the MS Guide T&C you effectively prevent mcupdate from getting Rovi Guide as Gary says in this thread.
Thanks for the info. I'll reenable it.