Full plot of Survivor finale anyone?

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
STC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Full plot of Survivor finale anyone?

Post by STC » Thu May 19, 2016 1:47 am

I did a lol.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu May 19, 2016 2:15 am

What did it say?

Rovi's is just a normal description.

STC

Post by STC » Thu May 19, 2016 3:46 am

Interesting as the text has Rovi at the end (source). It's just the plot for a movie. Nothing OTT but certainly incorrect. I don't think this is an EPG123/SD problem as its pulled from MSs servers. Nothing we can do to change it.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu May 19, 2016 4:48 am

Hmmm... not a good thing. I had this happen yesterday with a single episode of Arthur on PBS Kids. It gave me a synopsis for the movie Arthur from 2011; actors and all. I was concerned it was due to me enabling the series actor/character names (it was on a test bench), but couldn't find any other occurrences. If it happened to you then the potential is out there to happen to everyone. When I saw your post I looked at my media centers which showed the expected episode description so this is quite random.

The conspiracy theorist would probably say Rovi and/or Microsoft is trying to sabotage epg123. :shock: :D

I really don't want to suggest we disable the MC downloads that provide the actual movie reviews and similars.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

kmp14

Post by kmp14 » Thu May 19, 2016 1:55 pm

I noticed the same thing with last week's episode of Survivor.

STC

Post by STC » Thu May 19, 2016 2:39 pm

In my case it's from the 2015 movie Survivor: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3247714/
Although the writeup has been Roveed it is similar but not an exact match to this original:
After being mysteriously framed for a terrorist bombing, a Foreign Service Officer (Milla Jovovich) must evade government capture and death by a ruthless assassin (Pierce Brosnan) in order to stop the real perpetrators’ master—and much deadlier—plan. SURVIVOR is directed by James McTeigue and also stars Dylan McDermott, Angela Bassett and Robert Forster.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu May 19, 2016 4:48 pm

oh, this is hilarious!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu May 19, 2016 5:53 pm

I'm wondering if this is Microsoft trying to adapt to the provided Rovi data to bring back the extended movie information. Before, what was needed to get the extended data for movies was the title and the year of release (year being an attribute in the program data). Without the year, there would be no extended information. The problem with the Rovi data is they appear to insist in populating the OAD with the movie release date instead of simply populating the Year field which broke the extended data fetching. If MS pushed a MC update to start paying attention to the OAD for movies ... this is the outcome.

Plan is to do a couple things ...
First, I'll get a simple Rovi system up and running to see if it exhibits the same problem... it will be systemic then until MS fixes it.
Second will be to have a system up the populates the Year field with 1900 for everything that is not a movie. Maybe this will cause a null return on a movie lookup due to no match found for the combined title and year.

A possible end game scenario would be to disable the downloads which will cause us to lose all the movie reviews, similar movies, extended cast, and extended actor lookup information.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Space

Post by Space » Thu May 19, 2016 7:08 pm

I doubt that Microsoft is doing anything like that, why not adjust the feed to populate the movie year instead? It would be an easier fix and not cause any other side affects.

Also, why would WMC be doing a movie lookup for something that is not marked as a movie (unless it is improperly marked)?

STC

Post by STC » Thu May 19, 2016 7:21 pm

How come it's just me reporting this exact issue - locale / channelID / programID ?

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Thu May 19, 2016 8:06 pm

I haven't noticed any issues on my guide. I have MCUPDATE disabled in task scheduler. Would that prevent the issues here?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu May 19, 2016 8:25 pm

Space wrote:I doubt that Microsoft is doing anything like that, why not adjust the feed to populate the movie year instead? It would be an easier fix and not cause any other side affects.

Also, why would WMC be doing a movie lookup for something that is not marked as a movie (unless it is improperly marked)?
It's just mismatching based on the title alone I believe.

The same thing (or very similar) happened to me when I still used WMC - and the native movie library - with no plugins (for metadata display/overriding - I used one to just create a dvdid.xml with the movie title and year, forget the name - then WMC would grab/display the metadata naturally) - before the guide switch-over ever happened.

I had the movie Titanic (1997 DiCaprio one) in my movie library - WMC always identified it and displayed the movie info/metadata for some History Channel or old-timey movie or doc (Can't recall - but it was the wrong one whatever it was) also called just Titanic that was from another year. It only happened with that one movie - the rest all displayed the correct metadata/movie when WMC would pull it down on its own. There was no way - using the native WMC metadata - to get it to match that movie to the correct one.

I get what you mean/what you were implying of that was 2 movies for me, and this issue is a show and a movie - I think it's just a matter of if WMC is pulling any metadata down at all - it's gonna mismatch/screw up once in a while.