Why won't WMC record from TruTVHD 112 on TWC/LA?

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
DSperber

HTPC Specs: Show details

Why won't WMC record from TruTVHD 112 on TWC/LA?

Post by DSperber » Sat May 14, 2016 8:09 am

Never saw this before. It may have nothing to do with EPG123, but I thought I'd start by asking the experts here.

I happened to see that there was a comedy show with Rachel Dratch on TruTV, which is channel 112 here in TWC/LA (Hollywood Digital Cable). So I went to the guide and tried to set up a recording. However the usual red icon indicating that there was a recording set for it did not appear. Nothing happened. The normal black-and-white square next to the "record" option remained black and white. The show was not scheduled for recording.

I get the same response if I try to push the "record series" button. Again, nothing happens.

I then tried to actually manually start recording a show that I was watching "live" on 112. There's no problem tuning to the channel and watching live. I then pushed the REC button on the remote, which normally initiates a recording with the usual consequential evidence that a recording is now in progress. The show should show up in "recorded TV" with a red dot showing that it's being recorded, etc. Well, again, nothing. Zero. Recording obviously did not start.

So, I'm wondering if this channel as delivered by TWC/LA is marked with "copy never" instead of the usual "copy once" or "copy freely. I have never seen WMC fail to initiate a recording on any channel delivered by TWC, and yet here it is. Being marked as "copy never" is the only thing I can think of which could conceivably produce the symptom I'm seeing. But I would have thought WMC would present some kind of error message if this were the case, and I'm not seeing anything.

Anybody have any ideas?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat May 14, 2016 4:50 pm

A while back, there was a similar issue and it turned out that the sources were somehow disabled for the channel. You could tune, but not record. So first suggestion would be to go to settings->TV->Guide->Edit Channels->[select channel 112]->Edit Sources and verify the proper tuners are enabled. I've only heard of this being the problem once, and I haven't been able to duplicate it, so don't know if this is the problem or not.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Sat May 14, 2016 7:48 pm

Absolutely spot on! For some reason, all four [Ceton] tuners were unchecked! They are all checked for all other cable channels.

So I checked all four tuners, and I can now record!

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you.

SalmonSurprise

Post by SalmonSurprise » Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:29 am

Sorry to necro this thread, but I ran into the same problem and wouldn’t you know it, Gary already had it figured out. Logged in just to thank you. Gary, you are the best. Long live WMC!