Updated EPG123 to latest version - guide data now gone

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Important Information
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: http://epg123.garyan2.net <> Setup guide here: http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/epg123_Guide.pdf

Updated EPG123 to latest version - guide data now gone

Post#1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:04 pm

I realized I was using an older version of EPG123 (I believe it was 1.1.3) on one of my HTPCs so I decided to upgrade it to 1.1.17, which was the current version at the time. I also updated the firmware version on my SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime along with the latest HDHR software. EPG123 seemed to install OK and went through the downloading and importing of guide data like it normally does, but every channel in the guide shows "No data available." I checked the Guide Listing info in WMC and it shows EPG123 as the current guide with data going out to about two weeks. I have since installed EPG123 1.1.18 with no luck.

After installing the latest HDHR software and upgrading the firmware I let it rediscover the tuners and then ran a fresh channel scan. Then I reran the TV Signal setup in WMC but declined the use of the WMC guide data. I then ran EPG123 and saved and executed it after confirming the settings and channel info. I have rerun the TV signal setup and EPG123 numerous times and get the same result.

I had it working perfectly fine before any of this so I'm at a complete loss why this happened or what to do to get it back. Any suggestions?
captain_video

Post#2 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:24 pm

captain_video wrote:I realized I was using an older version of EPG123 (I believe it was 1.1.3) on one of my HTPCs so I decided to upgrade it to 1.1.17, which was the current version at the time. I also updated the firmware version on my SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime along with the latest HDHR software. EPG123 seemed to install OK and went through the downloading and importing of guide data like it normally does, but every channel in the guide shows "No data available." I checked the Guide Listing info in WMC and it shows EPG123 as the current guide with data going out to about two weeks. I have since installed EPG123 1.1.18 with no luck.

After installing the latest HDHR software and upgrading the firmware I let it rediscover the tuners and then ran a fresh channel scan. Then I reran the TV Signal setup in WMC but declined the use of the WMC guide data. I then ran EPG123 and saved and executed it after confirming the settings and channel info. I have rerun the TV signal setup and EPG123 numerous times and get the same result.

I had it working perfectly fine before any of this so I'm at a complete loss why this happened or what to do to get it back. Any suggestions?
Don't know about the first part of losing guide data, but when you perform a tuner scan, the channels lose their assigned listings. Use the client to match by numbers in order to assign guide listings to your channels.
garyan2

HTPC Specs: Show details
- Gary
Stomping out the Rovi disease, one media center at a time. http://epg123.garyan2.net

Post#3 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:53 pm

Thanks. That did the trick. It's weird because I upgraded three HTPCs at the same time and didn't have a problem with the other two.
captain_video

Post#4 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:55 pm

Hi, I'm a newbie to the forum, but I have been using EPG123 for over a year. I have recently been having trouble with automatic updates and had to keep updating my guide manually or it would lapse. In researching my problem, I noticed that there was a later version of EPG123, so I downloaded it and tried use it. I did a clean install from my old version and the WMC activated OK, but the guide would not install. WMC is working fine, but there is no station information.

I tried to import the EPG123 guide (version 1.1.18) as directed several times. It seems to work, but when I open WMC again, there is no channel information and all the channels are downloaded, even the ones that I unchecked in the set up. I also tried to revert to the old version (1.02) and the same problem occurred. out of frustration, I reverted to the WMC guide for the time being.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? I would like to use this again if I can sort out the issue. This appears to be the exact same issue as the original poster (captain_video) had in his initial write up. I have not been able to solve mine though. I did not do a tuner scan as the tuners are all operating properly. Only the guide is missing.
brixx01

Post#5 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:26 am

brixx01 wrote:Hi, I'm a newbie to the forum, but I have been using EPG123 for over a year. I have recently been having trouble with automatic updates and had to keep updating my guide manually or it would lapse. In researching my problem, I noticed that there was a later version of EPG123, so I downloaded it and tried use it. I did a clean install from my old version and the WMC activated OK, but the guide would not install. WMC is working fine, but there is no station information.

I tried to import the EPG123 guide (version 1.1.18) as directed several times. It seems to work, but when I open WMC again, there is no channel information and all the channels are downloaded, even the ones that I unchecked in the set up. I also tried to revert to the old version (1.02) and the same problem occurred. out of frustration, I reverted to the WMC guide for the time being.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? I would like to use this again if I can sort out the issue. This appears to be the exact same issue as the original poster (captain_video) had in his initial write up. I have not been able to solve mine though. I did not do a tuner scan as the tuners are all operating properly. Only the guide is missing.

There are some pretty big changes between 1.0.2 and 1.1.18. For your case it will be the client now has a GUI and a much larger role. Do you happen to still have the trace.log file? This should have some information to reveal what possibly happened.
garyan2

HTPC Specs: Show details
- Gary
Stomping out the Rovi disease, one media center at a time. http://epg123.garyan2.net

Return to EPG123