WMC on Windows 10 maximize is broken

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
khenzel

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC on Windows 10 maximize is broken

Post by khenzel » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:10 pm

Hi All,

After walking away from my pc for a few hours, when i return to my WMC, i note that maximize no longer works after the update and re-install of the new windows 10 creators edition update. I was able to re-install it and get it to work, though the "Disable fullscreen optimizations" option does not seem to be doing anything for me.

When i reuturn to my pc, either the WMC app is oversized, only displaying a portion of the screen, or it is undersized, showing 40% of my desktop behind the window. Minimize/maximize does not fix it. If i click the windows button on the lower left, in the background the WMC app returns to regular size, but as soon as i click back to the app it goes back to its oversized/undresized view.

Can somebody please help me fix this?

1ST1

Post by 1ST1 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:38 pm

This is maybe not a generic problem of 1709 and WMC, but hopely only graphics driver. Please update it.

homebredcorgi

Post by homebredcorgi » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:39 pm

Same problem here. The 1709 update for Windows 10 came out and everything broke. If I maximize/full screen WMC, it displays only the upper left ~25% of the screen (I'm running at 4k resolution). It's like the application thinks it is running at its default super-low resolution somehow.

If I re-install WMC, it will launch at the correct resolution. But if it closes out and I open it again, it launches showing only the upper left ~25% of the screen again. If I hit the windows button, it magically displays at the correct resolution but goes back to being too big as soon as you click back to it.

I've uninstalled and re-installed video card drivers, WMC, and played with resolution for hours and have given up.

I also agree that the "disable full screen optimization" option doesn't seem to be doing anything for me either.

homebredcorgi

Post by homebredcorgi » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:44 pm

I think I fixed it!

It's getting confused by the windows display scaling. I had mine set to 200% in the display options. Setting it to 100% brought WMC back to the correct display size.

Good enough for me....

homebredcorgi

Post by homebredcorgi » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:26 pm

Looks like I jumped the gun. After a day or two I will come back to WMC and see that it is back to a strange/small resolution again. :/

Anyone else having this problem?

UPDATE: turned off the windows game bar (settings --> games). Apparently it does some wonky overlay stuff and is turned on by default in the 1709 update. Still stuck at the 100% scaling. Did a restart and things look okay, so if the issue persists it looks like an HDMI handshake issue that is messing up my resolution...

Kusaywa

Post by Kusaywa » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:50 pm

Have no personal experience with this but do you have the WMC Picture screen saver enabled? If it is, disable it and if it isn't, enable it. Maybe it's that? Or something in your power settings. Try setting put computer to sleep to never. Keep turn off display to whatever it is.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:32 pm

Just a question... Do we all have DirectX installed ? I have seen this problem even back on Windows 7 with out DirectX installed.

For the record I am running 1709 (build 16299.214) on my Office (at work) machine, and I have WMC installed, I am able to maximize and back to a window with out a problem (but, not running any tuners in my office)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

lachape_one

Post by lachape_one » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:36 pm

Do you have a 4K or a non conventionnal display like Surface Pro? If so, there is a known issue without any workaround since Fall Creators Update

(Sorry in French):

https://www.windowsmediacenter.fr/2017/ ... ns-uhd-4k/

https://www.windowsmediacenter.fr/forum ... hread&id=4

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:31 pm

Solution:

copy all eHome out of the Windows folder directly into C. Then just change the Media Center address in the Desktop Shortcut (remove \Windows) and check 'Disable full screen optimizations' in the Compatibility tab of the Properties of the same Shortcut.

Complete instructions in the link below

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/thread ... st-1415675