New computer, can I transfer WMC there

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
dojo

HTPC Specs: Show details

New computer, can I transfer WMC there

Post by dojo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:19 pm

My computer is old and dying I think, I want to get a new one that is wireless, that way I can get rid of the cables and cords from computer to tv.

I have all the information I used to get WMC & EPG on my computer , thanks to you guys, mostly Gary, on a separate hard drive, when I get the new computer and plug the hard drive into the usb port and the page comes up with all the things I saved, can I use it that way? do I have to zip or just install ?

To be honest I forgot how to unzip and start from scratch. but I'm old and have all day to figure it out.

Thanks in advance for the replies

Have a Merry Christmas and keep up the GREAT work
Attachments
Untitled.jpg

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:34 pm

Well, its a bit more complicated than that - depends on what type of "new" computer you get. If it doesn't have an older OS installed on it (one where WMC is already available - i.e. Win 7 or 8/8.1), you should FIRST rectify that situation. Not sure if your thinking of using the "hacked" version that you might be able to get running on W10, but ...

This will most likely be the biggest hurdle. Depending on the hardware, you can probably find/purchase a license for Windows 7/8/8.1 off the internet and install it. After that is all done, and you have updated drivers, etc. Then I would take it one step at a time...Make sure WMC is running OK. Configure turners and do a trial run using the MS provided guide (at least that's what I'd do)...THEN install and configure EPG as per the normal instructions.

Good Luck!

dojo

Post by dojo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:58 am

thanks I thought most new computers has windows 10 installed on them, my version of wmc is what I got on here from you guys. I guess you call it hacked, I had 8.1 but was forced in July of 2016 to go to windows 10, that is when I lost wmc.

again thanks