A New Project for Modern WMC Development

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
Space

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Space » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:16 am

A lot of nice feature there. I'd like to suggest that when this is released, you be very clear about how to back the changes out.

My biggest fear with making changes to my WMC machine is that the change will make WMC inoperable (as it can be very sensitive). If you put clear instructions about how to back out the change, it can go a long way to making people comfortable with trying it.

For instance, if you can back it out by just manually restoring one or two DLL files (which were automatically backed up at time of installation) then I think I would feel comfortable with it. However if it requires restoring DLL files and changing registry setting and other file changes, than I will probably be too skittish to even try it (even if you have a program that does all that for you, unless I am sure that program has been thoroughly tested and works under many different scenarios). Even if you have a program to do it, having a manual procedure as well would make me more comfortable. It is very important to have a procedure to uninstall, and bring you back to the same state you were in before the install.

Doing system restore or image restore are other options, but ones I avoid as last-ditch efforts.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:30 pm

Space wrote:A lot of nice feature there. I'd like to suggest that when this is released, you be very clear about how to back the changes out.
Truth be told. 95% of the stuff he has on his app is current known hacks or mods. With some searching around here you can find most things and figure out how to reverse out. He did do a great job of putting all in one app, instead of, like me, has folders full of little tweaks and registry hacks.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:40 pm

DavidinCT wrote:Truth be told. 95% of the stuff he has on his app is current known hacks or mods. With some searching around here you can find most things and figure out how to reverse out. He did do a great job of putting all in one app, instead of, like me, has folders full of little tweaks and registry hacks.
Whilst this is true of the current release, the UI+ changes, which is the focus of this update, are more interesting. Due to be released this month.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:49 pm

This sounds very interesting. Agree that a backup of any modified files be made prior to installation so it can be restored for any reason is a great idea.

I'm ready for some UI updates to WMC. It is looking a bit dated now and bringing it up to date with a UI+ refresh would be great.

Excited for it's release.

newfiend~

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:14 pm

That looks really good. It must have taken quite a bit of work to get things like ratings and channel logos into the guide

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:40 am

Guys I just want to point out that media center themer just swaps files while WMC is running. All of the system files and regular ole wmc goes mostly untouched. After you have reached the point of installing MCT adding a theme won't add any reg keys etc. AND the theme will be completely reversible. You should do backups anyway. The documentation for MCT already exist and you should be able to view the code for their changes with a text editor. It looks to me like it's just mcml changes that as I said are easily reversed

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:41 pm

I already use Media Center Themer, I could be wrong, but this sounds like it is more than just a standard theme. Especially, things like, scrolling titles, Rotten Tomatoes scores, weather and reminders.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:59 pm

I guess we have to wait and see but I know with MCT, you can replace entire sections of markup with new pages. I'm guessing this is how they added a lot of that. Its even documented in MCT's documentation. If you look close, the clock is different in WMC after you install MCT

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:17 pm

Changing fonts, colours and layout is one thing. But adding in new supplemental and live data is quite different. You need some process which can pull in that data from external sources and incorporate it into the pages. It will be interesting to see what we get.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:49 pm

IT Troll wrote:Changing fonts, colours and layout is one thing. But adding in new supplemental and live data is quite different. You need some process which can pull in that data from external sources and incorporate it into the pages. It will be interesting to see what we get.
Agreed. Been looking forward to some real changes on WMC.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Mon May 07, 2018 3:12 am

For those of you watching as closely as I am they have updated their site to reflect a may 2018 release date

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue May 22, 2018 11:00 pm

Well.. June is getting close... just sayin'..

Anyone heard any more news on this? Not that I'm impatiently waiting or anything.. haha..
newfiend~

W10MC

Post by W10MC » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:25 am

newfiend wrote:Anyone heard any more news on this? Not that I'm impatiently waiting or anything.. haha..
Pre-release testing is now underway. It will be ready soon!

https://windows10mediacenter.com/modernmedia/ui+
-Mike

Windows 10 Media Center Community
An independent project for media application development.

wreels

Post by wreels » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:33 pm

I'm still running Windows 7 64 bit for consistent DRM support. I also use Xbox 360 units on each of my TVs. Will this affect my Xbox 360 (extender) experience at all, or will this only affect the MCE GUI from the computer where ModernMedia UI+ is installed?

God bless...

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:21 pm

It will depend on how exactly the changes are implemented, I would guess that Extenders will also get the new GUI, but we won't know for sure until it is released. Extenders use a form of Remote Desktop, so if system files are changed, or if changes are made to resources in memory (as Media Center Themer does), then Extenders will get the changes.

wreels

Post by wreels » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:46 pm

IT Troll wrote:It will depend on how exactly the changes are implemented, I would guess that Extenders will also get the new GUI, but we won't know for sure until it is released. Extenders use a form of Remote Desktop, so if system files are changed, or if changes are made to resources in memory (as Media Center Themer does), then Extenders will get the changes.
Thanks IT Troll. I appreciate you taking the time to answer. :)

redstar92

Post by redstar92 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:19 am

any updates on this?

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:59 am

Are any TGB members involved in the testing? I am sure you would get volunteers if it was opened up for beta testers.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:53 am

I was wondering the same thing. If so they chose really quiet beta testers which might be something they were after to begin with but who knows. I'm really hoping everything is going well.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:16 pm

I'd help out.... was wondering on this project..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave