Microsoft replacement for WMC in W10???

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
pnolans

HTPC Specs: Show details

Microsoft replacement for WMC in W10???

Post by pnolans » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:25 pm

Hi,

Since Jan 10 of this year, I've become a full-time RVer, living in a converted cargo trailer. My PC with my WMC is one of my few luxuries. I primarily watch movies I've ripped over the years, listen to music, and watch some recorded TV. No longer using a Cablecard tuner or anything like that. Since I'm on the move a lot (I stay in free camping for about 2 weeks at a time) , I'm not really worried about recording or watching live tv. It's possible , but I don't care. As I said, watch older movies is my one luxury. I'm used to NOT having running water, for instance.

I'm thinking of replacing my old laptop which runs W7. Try finding a new laptop which runs W7!!!

What I'm wondering is this: What , if anything, did MostlySoft offer as a substitution for WMC? Otherwise, I suppose I'll have to go with the solutions provided in this forum for getting WMC to work. I like it quite a bit! Just like these DA's to get you to like something and then take it away!

Anyway,

Thanks in advance, I've always gotten a lot of help in this forum!

Pat

pnolans

Post by pnolans » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:45 pm

You know, you can disregard my query. I just googled my question. Should have done that first!

So, I may be using the hacked version.

Thanks again.

Pat

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:54 am

pnolans wrote:You know, you can disregard my query. I just googled my question. Should have done that first!

So, I may be using the hacked version.

Thanks again.

Pat
Not exactly endorsed by m$

https://forums.mydigitallife.info/threa ... ves.61061/

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:54 am

pnolans wrote:Try finding a new laptop which runs W7!
Laptops that have Intel processors up to the 6th generation (Sky Lake) can run Windows 7.

The Lenovo Ideapad 700-15ISK that I purchased last year came pre-installed with Windows 10, but I have since purchased a pre-loved retail copy of Windows 7 from Ebay, and have installed it in a dual-boot arrangement with Windows 10 (using Terabyte's "Bootit Bare Metal"). For the 700-15ISK, Lenovo conveniently provide all of the Windows 7 drivers on their web site, although they don't do this for all of their models. For other manufacturers (Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, etc.) , you might need to hunt around to find the Windows 7 drivers.

Microsoft have stated that they will not provide support for Windows 7 and 8 running on the 7th generation (and later) Intel processors; this is Kaby Lake plus its follow-ons. I don't know what the situation is with regard to AMD processors.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:11 am

I read a related post a while ago here: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/03/17/micro ... 7-and-8-1/.

As far as getting drivers for new hardware to run on previous versions of Windows goes, I guess that is a bit hit and miss but when you consider the number of people running Windows 7 who don't want Windows 10, I would hope that manufacturers would have an incentive not to miss out on sales of their products.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:48 pm

Kodi is reasonable substitute for watching movies. It even succeeds at bluray rips without having to purchase extra software.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat May 20, 2017 7:48 pm

technodevotee wrote:I read a related post a while ago here: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/03/17/micro ... 7-and-8-1/.

As far as getting drivers for new hardware to run on previous versions of Windows goes, I guess that is a bit hit and miss but when you consider the number of people running Windows 7 who don't want Windows 10, I would hope that manufacturers would have an incentive not to miss out on sales of their products.
You'd be shocked on how many corporate Laptops from Dell, HP and others have a universal license. They can run Windows 7, 8.1 or 10 and activate fine. I work in IT and have seen this first hand on about 5 models. Some come with 7, others come with 10 but, rolling back is not normally a problem.

If you are a hardware tech geek in anyway, finding drivers for odd ball stuff, can be tricky but, it is possible by googling the hardware ID.

As for Windows 10 WMC, I would stay away from it. Too many issues with it and update and it goes away type stuff.

OP, if your going RVing, get your self a HD USB tuner card, popping it on doing a quick search for channels when your going to be in a area for a week or so could be usefull time to time to catch up on some NEW shows. They are cheap for the most part and if you get the urge, you can watch some live TV, mount a small antenna on your roof and you'll get the best you can get for FREE.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

WC_Barnstormer

Post by WC_Barnstormer » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:53 pm

pnolans wrote:Hi,

I primarily watch movies I've ripped over the years, listen to music, and watch some recorded TV. No longer using a Cablecard tuner or anything like that. Since I'm on the move a lot (I stay in free camping for about 2 weeks at a

Pat
You may want to check out VLC media player at the following link. Should work perfect for your needs and is free!
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/