No sound on The Simpsons HD recordings

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
jazz_dude

HTPC Specs: Show details

No sound on The Simpsons HD recordings

Post by jazz_dude » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:40 pm

This is the weirdest problem I've ever seen. I have WMC on x64 Windows 10 Pro (in UK), and when I record the Simpsons there's no sound. There's sound in the adverts and also when I play the file in WMP, but not with WMC playback during the episode. This only happens on HD recordings - live viewing is fine and all other channels are OK. I've checked that subs, AD etc is off. OTA card is TBS 6205 T/T2 quad tuner.

I can live with this little glitch, but would love to know the reason for the missing sound.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:13 pm

I have never had an audio problem, so therefore I have no experience troubleshooting. If I ever developed an audio problem, I think I would start here..... http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 092#p85092 and get a general understanding. Your solution is likely suggested in Richard's post.

It would be a good idea to tell us how you have the cables connected to the components..... Post #37 demonstrates just that.

What, if any, codecs are you using? (Lav, Shark, etc?)

Another thing you might want to find out is..... What is so special about the Simpson.wtv file. Use MediaInfo for the answer... https://mediaarea.net/download/binary/m ... indows.exe

Open MediaInfo, then use MediaInfo to open one of the Simpson files.

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:44 pm

jazz_dude wrote:I have WMC on x64 Windows 10 Pro (in UK), and when I record the Simpsons there's no sound. There's sound in the adverts and also when I play the file in WMP, but not with WMC playback during the episode. This only happens on HD recordings - live viewing is fine and all other channels are OK.
The vast majority of DVB-T/T2 broadcasts in the UK have stereo sound. But the HD channels broadcast on DVB-T2 MUXes have the capability to transmit multi-channel sound. This seems to be used only occasionally, typically for "block-buster" movies and prestige drama productions on the major channels.

My Sony TV displays the sound encoding for the currently received broadcast, so I had a look tonight when "The Simpsons" was being broadcast. I checked the sound encoding on three different channels, with these results:

Simpsons SD: English 2/0
BBC News HD: HE-AAC 2/0
Simpsons HD: HE-AAC 3/2.1

The normal encoding for stereo on HD is "HE-AAC 2/0". The Simpsons on HD is clearly different, but I don't know what the designation means (perhaps someone else does?). Sorry, but I don't know what setup you need in WMC to be able to hear "HE-AAC 3/2.1" sound when playing WTV recordings.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

jazz_dude

Post by jazz_dude » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:54 pm

I think it was a 5.1/stereo problem. I just found that OTA radio on WMC was playing as if in slow motion. Google told me to check playback devices, configure speakers. I had a look and it was set to 5.1 surround - I only use stereo. Resetting to stereo fixed the radio problem, so I'll check the Simpsons next time it's on.

I've just updated the driver on my Soundblaster Z, so I guess that's what changed my settings - D'OH as Homer would say. I use the Soundblaster for low latency when I use Cubase - onboard sound has bad delay between hitting the MIDI keyboard and the sound coming out of the speakers. The SB gives me 2ms.

Thanks for replies.

jazz_dude

Post by jazz_dude » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:09 pm

Update - it was 5.1/stereo that was causing the problem. Just tested recording The Simpsons HD and the sound is back. Another little mystery solved.